After shaking the kegs...

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by inchrisin, Sep 1, 2013.

1. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I moved my keezer upstairs. It was a life changing moment and I thought I'd die on the stairs, but I finally got my keezer where it needs to go.

Its day 3 and I'm still pouring very little beer and a lot of foam. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with moving kegs and how to quickest settle them down so I can start pouring beer again.

I've been thinking about cutting the CO2 off for a couple of days and just letting them settle. It's kind of hard to leave them alone now that they're in plain view everyday. :)

Any suggestions?

2. zero_signal

zero_signal Aug 8, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

What temperatures are your beers pouring at?

3. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

The move should have been no different than when you bought the kegs and brought them home, minimal time needed to settle. Something is up with your balance.

4. inchrisin

probably about 40F. The fridge reads 37F.

I should be more specific. These are half full corny kegs that have homebrew and sediment in the bottom.

5. DougC123

Subscriber

What do the lines look like before you pull a beer? And then after? Solid beer or pockets of CO2 and moving bubbles? Did you tip the CO2 tank when moving the unit? What pressure and style of beer? You have a balance problem.

6. inchrisin

I haven't looked at the lines. Did the tank tip while still connected to the regulator? Yes. It's set at 37F with 10' 3/16 ID lines. That should give ~2.3-2.5 CO2 volumes, if memory serves me correctly. I haven't tried it in about 30 hours and will resume pouring tonight at around midnight.

7. inchrisin

And to follow up, I tried to pour a beer from a keezer tonight. I had the top open and I saw loads of CO2 bubbles in the bev line. I burped the keg and successfully poured 8/10 of a pint while the CO2 tank was grunting to get the headspace repressurized. I drank it in the next half hour. I tried to pour another pint after this and it was full of CO2 bubbles again. Should I be looking at the regulator here?

8. DougC123

Subscriber

Sounds like you have breakout from the pressure being too low for the temp. In my experience bubbles in the line are from the pressure being too low, I would bump it a few psi and wait a day. Pour a beer, then check the lines. BTW the pressure increase will not help the beer that is already in the line and will not do anything for new pours for a day which is why you need to wait to check the effect.

9. DougC123

Subscriber

Set at and actual temp are two different things. You really need to use a calibrated thermometer and take the reading from the second pour taken into the same glass you pour the first one into (chug or pour off the first one). If you got liquid CO2 into the regulator that may be causing some trouble also. What pressure are you at?

10. inchrisin

I was at 12, but I'm backing them both (dual regulator) back to about 2. I just want to push the beer through the lines and see if I can get this hiccup out of the lines.

I'll take a temp reading on the beers AFTER work--as tempting as it is to do right now. :)

How does one check for and get liquid CO2 out of a regulator? The main was connected, but I DID turn of the main before moving it. Everything else was still connected, toweled up and put inside the keezer for the move up the stairs.

11. DougC123

Subscriber

Going to 2 psi will likely make the breakout worse.
    If the main valve was off you should be fine.

12. inchrisin

The beer poured around 47 and 45 on the first and second pint. Not where I want to be at all. I bumped the control temp down another 7F and I'm hoping this will help slow down the foam. :)

13. DougC123

Subscriber

It explains the bubbles in the line, the warmer it is the higher the pressure needs to be to keep the CO2 in the beer. Never trust what you set things at, the beer temp is what matters on the second pour. After you let it sit for a day, pour some foam and then leave everything alone. Then check the lines for bubbles.

inchrisin likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe