Afterthought (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by REVZEB, May 2, 2019.

1. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (5,785) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Love their beers and wanted to start a thread for them. Not a blended barrel member, so don't have the inside scoop, but love trying everything I can by them. Having saison meer:honey as I write this, delicious!

capnmike and aussiebeer like this.
  2. Webbbeer

Webbbeer Initiate (46) Jun 17, 2016 Illinois

How has this thread not received more love? This is the most underrated brewery that I can think of. Can’t wait for the taproom

capnmike, REVZEB and dbelford like this.
  3. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Aspirant (277) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Maybe its just the inconvenient name choice...

:wink:

4. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (215) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Very happy being a blended barrel member. They put out consistently great stuff.

5. julianbooher

julianbooher Initiate (37) Dec 18, 2018 Minnesota
    Trader

Visiting chicago in 2 weeks and I can't wait to try my first afterthought!

PhilBallins and beardown2489 like this.
  6. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (387) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Best kept secret in Chicago. They’ll be at FoBAB this year with a gin aged saison and another with key lime and yuzu.

Wish half acre would bring back gin pony

7. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Initiate (105) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Come on guys! First rule of the Afterthought club is we don’t talk about Afterthought

Kidding of course, but yeah these beers are great. Just picked up the newest club batch and can’t wait to try them

8. miniditka77

miniditka77 Initiate (193) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I've only tried 2 beers from Afterthought, one was a juniper saison and I can't remember the other. Both were freaking amazing. The only knock I've heard on them is that a lot of their beers taste pretty similar, not much variation, but I admit I haven't sampled enough to determine whether that's accurate.

I got my bottles at Beer Cellar, but I don't know if I've ever seen them anywhere else. Do they distribute much?

PhilBallins likes this.
  9. rchenoweth23

rchenoweth23 Initiate (84) Oct 13, 2010 Illinois

It's pretty limited distribution. They specify their accounts on their website and Facebook. In the city, Beermiscuous has them regularly.

10. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Initiate (105) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I’ve personally seen them at Iron & Glass, so they might be at the larger beer shops. However, Beer Cellar seems to be the main place to get them ATM

miniditka77 likes this.
  11. DryHoppedUrMom

DryHoppedUrMom Initiate (55) Aug 15, 2015 Illinois

Orange & Brew has a ton of their stuff sitting on the shelf.

americanzero4128 and miniditka77 like this.
  12. Webbbeer

Webbbeer Initiate (46) Jun 17, 2016 Illinois

Where do I join this membership? Checked their website. Didn’t se anything. Thanks all

13. REVZEB

Society

They post on their fb page in the summer when it opens each year. Joined this year and have loved it so far

Webbbeer likes this.
  14. REVZEB

Society

LOL. To be fair, they changed my "Afterthought Appreciation" title to what it is now.

mbockstruck30 and Webbbeer like this.
  15. americanzero4128

americanzero4128 Initiate (20) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois

I was in the Blended Barrel last year. Unfortunately, I passed on it this year since my wife and I had baby #2 almost 6 months ago and she's staying home with both kids for at least a year. Money is quite a bit tighter and this was one thing that had to go. I've been following the releases on Facebook and Michael is killing it with what he's releasing. The member party last year was awesome. Really hoping my wife goes back to work in a year or two and I can get back in.

16. REVZEB

Society

Congrats afterthought on the gold at FOBAB!

17. JoeSpartan22

JoeSpartan22 Initiate (52) Apr 23, 2017 Illinois

The winning beer was nice but I preferred Barrel #22 to that one.

But anyway, can anyone share the address for the taproom? Just moved to Lombard and looking forward to an Afterthought hangout, which may be walking distance for me. PM if you don't want to spill the beans to the world.

18. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (95) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Don't think the taproom exists yet. Will be in downtown Lombard some time in 2020. They have a location but didn't reveal it afaik.

REVZEB likes this.
  19. beardown2489

The only spot you can always find afterthought on tap is at Beer Cellar locations in Glen Ellyn and Geneva. They do their best to always have something pouring and if the kegs run dry, they’ll typically open bottles on site.

welcome to the neighborhood

20. JoeSpartan22

JoeSpartan22 Initiate (52) Apr 23, 2017 Illinois

Edited for clarity.

21. beardown2489

@Thorpe429