Aged IPA

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Scottsbeer, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Aspirant (282) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Curious what the general consensus is about an aged IPA. I know that fresh IPAs are best consumed fresh. I found some Cigar City Oak Aged Jai Alai cans that I had forgotten in the back of the refrigerator. Since the beer is an aged IPA what are peoples thoughts about it. I know the obvious answer is open one and drink it but what if I through one in as an extra in a trade. Would that be OK or should I just drink them myself?

2. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Defender (688) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Premium Trader

How old is old?

3. Scottsbeer

Trader

4. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (1,580) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

Only one way to find out. If you don't like it aged, use it for beer can chicken.

y2kawakami and FFFjunkie like this.
  5. FFFjunkie

Premium Trader

I’ve never experienced an aged aged ipa. Maybe reach out to your trading partner and see if they’d be interested in that beer as an extra. It never hurts to ask.

6. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,510) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I'm going to go with @FFFjunkie on this one, if you want to trade it away as a freebie that's fine but ask first - if I got one in trade I wouldn't be upset at all but I'd have to ask what the hell is wrong with this guy?

Ahh, I also just noticed that you're from Florida... put that together with shipping out old beer and I'd say this guy is just unloading old beer on me.

7. FFFjunkie

Premium Trader

I agree 100%.

I wouldn’t mind receiving it because I’ve never had it before but I certainly don’t speak for everyone. Plus the last thing you’d want is hurt feelings over a nice deed taken the wrong way.

8. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (49) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

send it to me and i will tell you if its good or not.:grin:

9. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (149) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Is that the white oak jai alai? If so, it’s not really an aged beer. It is meant to consume fresh. It’s just regular jai alai with white oak spirals rested on it.

It tends to sweeten and get very malty. It’s really not too pleasant.

spersichilli likes this.
  10. RavageCat

RavageCat Initiate (75) Jun 24, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

I would ask if they want it before sending it, even as an extra. Otherwise it's going to seem like you're just unloading junk on them even if your intentions were good. I don't think there's a market for old IPAs.

I would just drink it though if I were you.

spersichilli likes this.
  11. Scottsbeer

Trader

I'll probably just drink it or drain pour it depending on how it tastes

spersichilli likes this.
  12. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (522) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Old/stale/aged IPAs vary in flavor development, but generally it will lose all fruity hop character and go more toward a bitter Amber or ESB-type flavor profile.

Only you will know if it is any good, so nut up buttercup and drink it!

FFFjunkie likes this.
  13. liquorpig

liquorpig Defender (614) Sep 6, 2008 Massachusetts

I purposely aged Dogfish 90-min. over a period several years. Turned out to be a nice barleywine.

14. Scottsbeer

Trader

I had 2017 DFH 120 on draft a couple of months ago that I thought tasted like a malty, boozy, mess.

15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

It drives me nuts when people say ipas turn into barleywines with some age on them....

dlcarst and jesskidden like this.
  16. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (435) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Why though?

17. SFACRKnight

Trader

Because they don't. A well made American barleywine is a fine beer, an old ipa is merely cardboard and grapefruit pith. The two are not equal.

18. ManBearPat

But sometimes DIPAs’ hops fade and its understandable that their uninformed take (probably due to a different, slightly darker malt bill) is that it be like that sometimes?

19. SFACRKnight

Trader

Does a Black DIPA become a stout? I understand the rhetoric, but disagree with it. One man's opinion though. :beers:

7irondave and ManBearPat like this.
  20. ManBearPat

None of it works for me lol, but I can see where the uninformed may think these statements are somewhere near the truth

SFACRKnight likes this.