Aging Barista Chocolate Quad

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Crmsncream, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Crmsncream

Crmsncream Initiate (100) Jun 21, 2018 New Jersey

Just picked up a bottle of Barista Chocolate Quad. Interested in aging, What is recommended aging time? Thank you.

2. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (502) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Have you had it fresh already? That will tell you how long to age- too sweet/hot it needs 12 months; too bitter it needs 6 months. Taste just right? No aging needed.

7irondave likes this.
  3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (416) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Wait a second. Too bitter means aging will change this?

This is something I have not read before. Is this just personal experience?

Is this for any beer or just stouts?

4. youradhere

Beer Trader

What? The guy was looking for specific drink-by standards and I gave him some :slight_smile:

Sometimes for me bitterness in a stout comes from the adjuncts- coffee, bitter chocolate, fruit, hops. Those fade quickly, and six months sounds about right to me from my own experience. Of course after six months it is still bitter, you can always let the other bottles go longer. That is, if you are cellaring multiples rather than gambling on a one-off ager.

5. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (416) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Ah, I see.

So, for you if the adjunct fades, the bitterness associated also fades. Have you had experience with old IPAs being less bitter? Just curious.

This has not been my experience, but I definitely value that everyone's experiences are different.

(In full disclosure, as always, i have a bitter sensitivity, so I certainly understand that our experiences are likely quite different. Just never heard this before.)

6. youradhere

Beer Trader

IPAs have a different “bitter” for me. I was referring to any adjunct associated bitterness with chocolate roast malts Belgian/stout, not hop bitters.

For me some IPAs become more bitter and “pithy”- like that of a bitter orange rind with age. Some very few IPAs have actually gotten maltier and better with time, and their bitterness is just masked well by the malt.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  7. darktronica

darktronica Meyvn (1,449) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

One of the more generally agreed-upon examples of IPAs that smooth out and become maltier over time is 120 Minute from Dogfish Head. After a few years, that still retains plenty of hop character but morphs nearly into a strong American barleywine. B_E, I've got some of those from 2016 and would be happy to give you one if we meet up or trade at some point, if you'd be interested in ageing one a while longer.

On the other hand, a similar "triple IPA" type from Founder's, Devil Dancer, ages terribly and becomes even sharper to the point of being a drainpour (my opinion). So this is not a universal rule for high-ABV IPAs.

Beer_Economicus likes this.