Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Aging Beers You Shouldn't Age

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by mkennedy119, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mkennedy119

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm wondering if anyone has had a beer that has aged surprisingly well that probably shouldn't have?

I just had a Zombie Dust that I had set aside from last year and somehow forgot about until now. Drank it last night and it was still amazing. I'm not saying it improved, but I noticed very little dropoff in quality. Still a Citra blast to the face.

Samichlaus82 likes this.
  2. RobertColianni

Lake Placid Ubu Ale. Went from a decent brown ale to a monster coffee strong ale. Two years will do a wonder and I suggest y'all give this one a shot!

3. jtmiller03

They say IPAs should be enjoyed fresh. One exception I have found is Avery Maharaja. There is nothing better than an 18-36 month old Maharaja. Wow.

4. RBassSFHOPit2ME

And they're somewhat easy to find still sittimg on shelves at that age also, with no price increase for the age to boot!!!!

OP - Celebration Ale & Ruthless Rye.

5. Onizilla

Beer Trader

I had an 07 Maharaja in 2012 and it turned into one of the best barleywine's i've ever had. Damn, How I wish the little shop I found it in had more. Mmmm

6. surlytheduff

Beer Trader

I like Great Lakes Nosferatu with 12-18 months on it.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe