Aging Bells Cherry Stout , yes or no

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by SpunkyHopslammer, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpunkyHopslammer

SpunkyHopslammer Initiate (62) Jan 18, 2011 Illinois

I've been cellaring bottles of this beer thats dated around 11/11. I was under the impression this could be aged, but I just discovered that Bells gives this beer a 12 month shelf life while giving Expedition an unlimited shelf life.

So I'm curious to know what happens to the Cherry Stout after 12 months? Does the flavor just fall off to a blur of what it was ?

2. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Michigan

I love cherry flavored stuff while I haven't had Bells Cherry stout for a while I'd recomend drinking this one fresh specially since bells doesnt filter their beers.

3. mverity

mverity Defender (669) Oct 6, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

I haven't done this in quite a while; however, back in 2008 I bought a few sixers for a tasting, and had several left over. They sat in my fridge for a long time. I popped two or three the following winter (2009), and the last few the fall of 2010. They held up pretty damn well; well balanced and if I remember correctly, the cherry came forward.

4. Goblinmunkey7

Goblinmunkey7 Meyvn (1,373) Dec 24, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I bought a sixer 2.5 years ago. Been cracking a bottle every 6 months. I think it's a bit better aged, but not enough to warrant doing it again. The beer oxidizes a bit as it ages and it actually smooths out a bit as well. My suggestion, drink them.

5. BlackDragon

did you store them in the cellar or the fridge?

6. mverity

mverity Defender (669) Oct 6, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Those actually stayed in the fridge. Back then I actually had the room.

7. TheGoof

TheGoof Initiate (133) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Bell's occasionally has Cherry Stout vintages on at the Eccentric Cafe and I haven't noticed much difference between them and fresh. The tartness of the cherries seems to fade a touch, but that's about it.

8. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (342) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I wouldn't put too much time on that one, it's good enough fresh and I'd hate to risk hurting the cherry flavor.

9. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Blasphemy to some but this may age better than Expedition. Bottles from 1988 were found a few years ago and a few from Bell's felt the Expedition that took gold at GABF for aged beer would have taken silver to the Cherry Stout. Age it without hesitation.

10. kzoobrew

What does filtering have to do with aging? The lack of filtering does not seem to harm many of the most popular cellared beers out there.

11. SpunkyHopslammer

SpunkyHopslammer Initiate (62) Jan 18, 2011 Illinois

So I'm curious with that knowledge what is the logic for them to give this a 12 month shelf life?

12. BlackDragon

If thats true why does Bells say that Expedition is made to be aged but not say that for cherry

13. kzoobrew

I am not sure, good question. It has not been uncommon to see an older keg on tap at Bell's, obviously they are not that concerned about that 12 month time frame.

See above, now let's get back to your silly comment regarding unfiltered beer.....

14. BlackDragon

Never said I didn't like unfiltered beer I just don't think it will last as long without the flavor changing all the belgian brewers say the flavors will change with time since the beers unfiltered.

15. kzoobrew

Flavor change is expect with age regardless of filtering practices, if one is intentionally aging a beer I would speculate they are anticipating a change in the flavor. Unfiltered, or bottle conditioned, beers are generally thought to be superior to filtered beers when it comes to age.

16. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (474) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Do you know anything about beer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.