Aging Curmudgeon's Better Half

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by DIM, Sep 16, 2018.

1. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,351) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania

Anyone have experience aging this? I had the first from my pack last night and I thought the maple syrup was overpowering and unpleasant, specifically at the finish. The only time I had CBS was from the original batch years ago. My review noted how subtle the maple was. Maybe the lack of coffee and the sweeter base beer explains how differently I perceived the maple.

Anyway, can anyone say if the maple will fade over time? Should I give them away or stash them for later? Thanks in advance.

#1 DIM, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    dprice and BenHoppy like this.
  2. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (469) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

It's been my experience that aging helps balance out some excesses, particularly sweetness, and bring them more in line with everything else, so I'd say go for it.

kemoarps, Dan411, DIM and 1 other person like this.
  3. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (515) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

I felt same way about Better Half and also am aging my other 3. Way I see it I didn't like it fresh so hopefully with some age I will enjoy it as that has been my experience with other beers I didn't care for fresh.

kemoarps, CaptainHate and DIM like this.
  4. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (236) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Beware....the original release of Curmudgeons Better Half had a significant amount of reports that aging it developed off, "minty" flavors.

It may depend on what your definition of age means. These reports were after a couple years of aging.

DIM likes this.
  5. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (88) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

I haven't had this particular beer in question yet, but I can tell you I put a bottle of CBS away to save for my birthday in May, and a good deal of the maple sweetness had faded compared to the one I had fresh.

6. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (515) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

I agree CBS doesn't age well but Better Half is not CBS and maple fading a bit will more than likely benefit Better Half. CBS is perfect fresh so why age it?

Dan411 likes this.
  7. dprice

dprice Initiate (121) Feb 24, 2014 Delaware
    Trader

I thought it was very sweet and could use some age.

DIM likes this.
  8. CoreyC

CoreyC Initiate (193) Mar 16, 2015 Wisconsin

No experience aging it, but I am going to try for the same reason. The maple was too much, so I'm going to try the other three at 6 month increments.

DIM and BenHoppy like this.
  9. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (515) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

I will say aging it will make it different from what it is now- but a lot depends on the ingredients causing the displeasing flavor for you, as well as fate in the aging process. Meaning- an older beer would be drier, and if actual maple sugars are causing the displeasing flavor, that could help smooth it out. Case and point- Southern Tier Creme Brûlée- I would find it too much fresh, a year on a 22oz bottle was good for it, but it was still sweet- just less. 3 years on it? Not so good, kind of a dry, faded version of itself.

DIM likes this.
  10. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,272) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan

In my experience, none of Founders maple syrup bourbon barrel aged beers age well. They all develop a minty/black licorice flavor that I don't care for.

BigIslandfarmer and DIM like this.
  11. MoreBeer4me

MoreBeer4me Aspirant (237) Aug 25, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

The 20 bottles I have won't make it long enough to experience the aging effects or non effects.

CowsandBeer likes this.
  12. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (469) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

I thought it was borderline unpossible but this is too sweet for me; not drain pour level but more than I was expecting. Definitely aging the other 3.

DIM likes this.