Aging Firestone Stickee Monkey

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Crmsncream, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Crmsncream

Crmsncream Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2018 New Jersey

Hello all -

I want to age a bottle of Firestone Stickee Monkey. What is a recommended time to age and why?

Thank you.

TonyLema1 likes this.
  2. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,644) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

I’d like someone with experience to weigh in on this as well, I’ve got one in my fridge

3. coquet

coquet Initiate (88) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia

This post summarizes my thoughts on aging Stickee Monkee:
    The only caveat I would add is that the 2016 vintage tasted overly sweet to me even after one and two years of aging, so batch variation may have had a big effect on the comparison. Even so, I'm all for aging this one and have several in the cellar.

4. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (317) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts

I have had with 1 year and with 2 years. I prefer the 2 years. It mellows the sweetness a little and I got more banana and cloves.
    The only thing is I've found with the firestone beers ive aged, parabola, anniversary, stickee, helldorado, the bathes vary. So always try the batch fresh and if its great drink it all now.
    Their anniversary beers are my favorite to age. They are so complex I've found that they are amazing fresh and also great aged, just different flavors come out.
    Hope this helps.

5. dutesanch

dutesanch Disciple (337) Apr 22, 2014 California

I have recently had the SM '16 which did improve with age. That one compared to '14 and '15 initially tasted watery when fresh.

FW beers have a ton of sediment so be careful if this turns you off. Keep them upright if you can. The DBAs I have back to 2012 have lost almost all of their carbonation. They are basically viscous liquor. I had a FW 2016 Pac Gravity BA weizenbock last night and it was excellent.

I always drink one fresh first too. Age away and wait for a special occasion to break out.