Aging Flanders Reds

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by joberlander, Aug 14, 2019.

1. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (333) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

So i was recently introduced to this style. I had Duchesse de Bourgogne and loved it. I grabbed a 4 pack and it seems like a style you could age but since I am brand new to the style I'm curious others experiences. Also would love other recommendations in the style. From a lookup here, I've seen Red Poppy Ale and the Bruery's Oude Tart so I'll probably start with them.

2. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (479) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

This is not a beer or style I like, so take what I am about to say with an understanding that I am reporting information secondhand that I have read in this portion of the forum:

That bee is usually considered to get closer and closer to vinegar the longer it is aged.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  3. emerge077

emerge077 Poo-Bah (10,608) Apr 16, 2005 Illinois
    Trader

Rodenbach Grand Cru is definitely the classic example, Red Poppy and La Roja are great too.

In my experience, aged Duchesse wasn't any different from fresh, it may be pasteurized. I'd recommend Goudenband, an Oud Bruin that's practically tailor-made for aging.

I think the above may only be true if there's a lot of acetobacter in the beer to begin with.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  4. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (333) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Awesome thanks for the info

5. Budlum

Budlum Meyvn (1,259) Mar 23, 2006 Maryland
    Society Trader

Red Poppy is a fantastic Flanders Red and ages reasonably well. All of the Rodenbach vintages, Grand Cru, etc. are reliably excellent and readily available. Most domestic iterations of the style just can't match the Belgians. Aging is hit or miss and can result in some seriously acidic beer. Enjoy!