Aging Pumpkin Beers

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by BrownAleBollocks, Apr 21, 2016.

?

Are pumpkin beers good to age?

1. Age away!

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. Drink 'em fresh!

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Depends on the beer

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrownAleBollocks

BrownAleBollocks Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2014 Kansas

After a mini discourse with another BA on one of the last WBAYDN threads, the question came to my mind about aging pumpkin beers. I was wondering what my fellow pumpkin beer loving advocates think about aging these beers. I tend to drink mine fresh, but thoughts on the merits and flaws of aging them are appreciated. I thought this would be a good discussion, even with fall being a ways away!

VABA likes this.
  2. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Savant (934) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Like most beers....it depends on the beer - there are a vast array of pumpkin beers out there....some age well, some do not

The higher ABV brews - the imperials and barrel aged stuff, typically does much better than lighter alcohol stuff

3. Grupatre

Grupatre Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2014 Michigan

I was cleaning the liquor cabinet yesterday and found a Sam Adams Fat Jack from 2014. Should I drink it or dump it?

4. mxracercam

mxracercam Disciple (363) Jan 14, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

why wouldn't you try it and find out.

as for aging pumpkin beers, while most of them suck, good gourd ages very nicely.

BrownAleBollocks likes this.
  5. wdberkley

wdberkley Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2015 Illinois

Pumpkin beers should all be aged...in the landfill...

Sorry, Had to do it.

6. wardj28

wardj28 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2015 Michigan

I love a schlafly pumpkin ale with about a year on it.

7. Rodosman

Rodosman Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2014 Pennsylvania

I aged Pumpking for about 15 months and it tasted delightful.

8. readzeppelin

readzeppelin Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2015 Georgia

Not much on aging these beers that I have seen. If the ABV is high enough, if it bottle condition or wild all the same rules would apply. It will be interesting to see how each brews melange of flavors and spice progress over time.

This year I started to experiment and I have stashed away several of this years Pumking and Weyerbacher's imperial Pumpkin.

The first Pumking was great with 6 months on it. It had all the same flavored but had a smoothness that the fresher ones didn't have. I was particularly impressed with how the pie crust flavor really stood out. I will try another when it hits the year mark (July I think)

I haven't tried the Weyerbacher yet but can report back when I do.

I have also acquired several one off pumpkin beers as I see the collecting dust or in the bins. I am only buying those that have potential for aging, the one expect is dogfish head Punkin Ale. The ABV is lower then 8% but I have always been impressed with the aging potential of all DFH beers. Also they are fairly cheap and always around here and there.

9. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

This has never been asked. Ever.

SovietBillCosby likes this.
  10. BaseballNBeer

BaseballNBeer Initiate (108) Apr 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

As I recall, the back label on a Fat Jack says it's ok to age. Therefore, I definitely give it an unbiased try before even considering dumping it.

11. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa

They age fine, I've never gone longer than a year, but they aren't bad with age.

12. eb1610

eb1610 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts

Anyone have experience with the Avery pumpkin beers?

13. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (1,724) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island

Aged Pumking is fantastic, it actually gets better with age. I did a blind tasting of 20 pumpkin beers (15 people) that featured both '14 and '15 Pumking, and the '14 won the whole thing.

Brehnert and BrownAleBollocks like this.
  14. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,383) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Sam Adams Fat Jack tastes good with some age on it. Last October I had one from the October previous, and it was good. I also had one from last year yesterday, and it was also good.

Grupatre and BrownAleBollocks like this.
  15. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Savant (977) Nov 19, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

I've probably aged 15-20 different pumpkin beers 1-2 years. Some good, some bad. I would personally advocate AGAINST aging pumking - it develops a bitter pumpkin taste after just a year. Not a big fan of dogfish aged either. Schafly, Stevens point whole hog, rivertowne headless wylie and kentucky pumpkin barrel I would all advocate for aging though.

TVEddy and BrownAleBollocks like this.
  16. readzeppelin

readzeppelin Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2015 Georgia

I just had a 2014 Troegs Master of Pumpkins and it was great! I've had this beer fresh and feel almost two years on it really helped it to come into its own. I have 2 more aging and will report back when they get cracked open later this year or next.

17. VTR

VTR Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2014 Florida

I have only had aged Pumking and it is fantastic. I think it gets better so I bought the whole lot of the 2014 sitting in the store the other day. In fact I believe ST talked about aging Pumking and releasing vintage beers on their website. I just opened one of the few rum barrel aged Pumking the other day and thought that had held up great as well. I haven't found another pumpkin beer that I would chance aging though.

18. not2quick

not2quick Zealot (593) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

After trying an Avery Rumpkin late last year, I am convinced that I'm going to age it 5 years. It was one of the hardest beers for me to drink. I'm gonna give one a little time to mellow out. lol

19. Lukass

Lukass Savant (999) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

I voted for 'depends on the beer'. I brewed an 8% imperial pumpkin ale last fall and it's drinking awesome still. Spices/malt have really melded together nicely over time. Lighter pumpkin ales I would drink right away though.

20. SanDiegoBeerLove

SanDiegoBeerLove Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2009 California

I had a 2011 Midnight Sun Treat in November 2015 and it tasted like chocolate pumpkin bread. It was great and even better we had some vanilla ice cream with it.

21. dutesanch

dutesanch Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 California

In fall of '14 I bought every Pumpkin beer I could find. I tried more that I didn't like than liked. I set aside some of the big abv ones to drink in '15 like Sam Adams fat jack, Uinta oak Jacked, and Shipyard barrel aged pumpkin. They basically just become barley wines after a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.