airlock drying up

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Bryanmaag87, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Bryanmaag87

Bryanmaag87 Initiate (18) Sep 18, 2018 Missouri

My friend and I just made our first beer from a kit, it's been in the fermentation bucket since Saturday night but it seems that the airlock is emptying out of water should I be worried, should I add more sanitizing solution or vodka to the air lock or just let it go? have we lost beer??

2. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (246) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Just spray some star San in there or vodka would also be fine. It’s all good, relax lol

3. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (385) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

+1 to starsan or vodka, all good

jimboothdesigns and Bryanmaag87 like this.
  4. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,212) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

What temp was your wort when you capped the bucket, and what is the ambient temperature where the bucket is placed? I think you are experiencing ''suck-back' from the air space contracting inside the bucket. You should have reached equalibrium now.

Push_the_limits and Bryanmaag87 like this.
  5. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (427) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

My airlock has been so vigorous the past day, I have to top off my air lock every few hours as the fermentation is causing the star san to foam and come out of the S-bubbler lol... Just refill it as needed!

NorCalKid and Bryanmaag87 like this.
  6. TickleMeTony

TickleMeTony Initiate (198) Sep 18, 2013 Colorado

Yea, shouldn't be water in there in the first place. Sanitize-city, baby

7. jimboothdesigns

jimboothdesigns Aspirant (260) Nov 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

I like using vodka. Sterilizes and really does not effect the beer, taste wise or smell wise. I wouldn't worry too much about the airlock drying up. Just refill with starsan or vodka.

minderbender and GormBrewhouse like this.
  8. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (97) Jan 10, 2018 California

After a long brew day, beers, bullshiting with buddy’s. I’ve forgotten to add star san to the air lock on a few occasions. No worries man, open fermentation!

GormBrewhouse likes this.