Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Albany Help

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by HeavyDandtheGirls, Jun 20, 2016.

1. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Aspirant (260) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm headed to Albany this weekend for a LAX tournament, staying right near U of Albany.
    Last year I found some good beers at Wholefoods, is that my best bet or is there a better bottle shop in the area? I'm looking for stuff I can't get in MA. I am an IPA fan, is there anything local to keep an eye out for?

Also looking for a place to grab a pint or 2 with sone other Dads, a nice tap list would help but looking more for a suggestion for a good place to chill out and maybe catch some golf or whatever on TV, outdoor area would be s plus.

Any must sees in the area? We will be heading to Saratoga on Sat night to hit the lake, anything up that way to keep an eye out for?
    Thanks in advance.

2. twizzard

twizzard Crusader (705) May 11, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Westmere beverage about 5 miles west of UAlbany down Western Ave. Great selection with a terrific crowler station. My go to spot for Singlecut. www.brew-crew.com

dgmirelli likes this.
  3. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (753) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Can't start an Albany thread without mentioning "The Beer Belly:" always a killer tap list, and a great adjacent bottle shop

malfunxion and TheHumanTorch like this.
  4. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,433) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

No outdoor space, but downtown The City Beer Hall is a cool place to grab a few pints.

malfunxion likes this.
  5. jmdrpi

Subscriber

6. HeavyDandtheGirls

Beer Trader

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming.

7. BarRoomHero88

BarRoomHero88 Aspirant (275) Jan 19, 2012 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

City Beer Hall definitely has outdoor space. They've got a patio with aa pretty sweet view of the Corning Tower at night.

Fujii13 likes this.
  8. Fujii13

Fujii13 Aspirant (206) Apr 27, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

City Beer Hall has one of the best outdoor spaces in Albany. Do not skip it if that's your thing, but they only have a TV or two, however.

In Saratoga hit up Henry Street for beer. If cocktails and small plates are an interest don't miss Hamlet & Ghost. Whiskey selection at 9 Maple can't be beat. If you find yourself there late night go get drunk eats at Esperanto's, specifically a Doughboy. That whole area between Broadway, Caroline and Henry Street is all very walkable, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding something interesting.

sandman3479 likes this.
  9. TomFoley

TomFoley Initiate (197) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

They still do jazz at 9 Maple?

10. Fujii13

Beer Trader

Haven't been this year but they were definitely still doing that last summer when I was last there.

11. TomFoley

TomFoley Initiate (197) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

Thanks, good to hear.

12. jmdrpi

Subscriber

My bad on the mis-information. I've only been there during the winter, so I guess that explains it.

13. HeavyDandtheGirls

Beer Trader

Thanks for all the info. Booked a reservation at City Beer Hall in the event people want to head there.

Any local IPA's I need to try while in the area? I tend to prefer juice bombs like Trillium/Treehouse for reference.

14. Fujii13

Beer Trader

Common Roots IPAs are going to be the closest to that which is brewed in the area. NY in general keep an eye out for Peekskill, Grimm, Other Half, and Singlecut.

15. HeavyDandtheGirls

Beer Trader

Thanks for all the input.

Ended up with about 20 people, mix of kids and adults, at City Beer Hall on Saturday evening.

A fun time was had by all, from the pizza tickets to the mystery buckets of beer we all had fun.
    Nice to see HF Edward on tap.
    Food was good, glad we got out when we did, around 9, it seemed to be getting a little rowdy for the kids.

Fujii13 likes this.
  16. jackperdue

jackperdue Initiate (156) Aug 29, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

May be a bit too late, but just in case...
    I had good fortune at Oliver's Beverage Center
    I also wrote about a recent trip to Albany here >> http://deepbeer.com/journal/2015/12/10/albany

17. HeavyDandtheGirls

Beer Trader

Hi

Reviving this thread from last year.

Headed to Albany again for an annual LAX tournament.

Any new places to be aware of? Or local area beers to be on the lookout for?

We may do City Beer Hall again for dinner.

18. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

Great Flats just opened in Schenectady. Now, granted, I have not been, but will most likely stopover when I’m in the area (Albany, Rensselaer) again

19. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (153) Dec 2, 2010 New York

This place is great. Beautiful space, tons of natural light, friendly people and the beer is really solid. Their cream ale is one of the most I-want-to-drink-seven-more-of-these-immediately beers I've had in years and their hoppy beers are very well done.

malfunxion likes this.
  20. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

Visit the area frequently, so will definitely be stopping by soon

21. beertoro

beertoro Aspirant (278) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

Any bottle shops nearby in downtown Albany that are in walking distance? I saw Pint Sized was close by. I'll be back in Albany on Saturday afternoon, so just might stop at Westmere then.

22. mendonjoebeer

mendonjoebeer Aspirant (261) Nov 9, 2010 New York

Check out the Ruck in Troy, great place

23. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (153) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Pint sized is a really cool shop. Small, but well curated, good prices, and a few coolers with a ton of cans to go.

Also, if you're gonna be there, hop across the street and get yourself a meal at Mio Posto. Absolutely phenomenal food and a terrific atmosphere.

Obviously, more than worth it to also hit Westmere on your way in and/or out of town.

24. beertoro

beertoro Aspirant (278) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

Thank you so much, headed back to Albany tonight and that helps with our plans for the night.

Also, loved cocktails at that Speakeasy 518.

25. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

Think I remember this being the Weekend before Thanksgiving. In any case, should be a good time

26. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Disciple (348) Mar 21, 2015 New York

was just there - in town to visit daughter at UALbany and hit this place - busy busy busy people in and out....one of better shops I have been to, pouring crowlers and sealing on spot!

twizzard likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.