Alchemist Tent Sale

Discussion in 'New England' started by mike0802, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Going through the line twice has been allowed and even encouraged at the truck sales in the past. Unless they specifically stated it wasn't allowed, I can't see an issue if it did happen.

Hopheadhiker likes this.
  2. jstout26

jstout26 Initiate (157) May 30, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I can't confirm about double-dipping, but my girlfriend and I didn't get into line until between 12:15-12:20 at which point I had seen people already walking away with cases so I assumed they had counted off and there were already enough in line to constitute beginning the sale. We had just walked over the tracks and that's where the end of the line was. Just after we got in line we were told by the gentleman with the ski goggles on his head that they had about 520 cases and we were very close to the cut off. We ended up each getting our case and there were ~10 cases still to be had on the tables.

3. SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Connecticut

A. Going through the line twice is entirely allowed and actually kind of encouraged by the brewery. People are going to be upset if they miss out on awesome beer but let's not pretend that it's somehow against the rules.

B. As announced, there were about 500 people in line when they started the sale, so I'm very surprised to hear these allegations about people going through twice. In fact, it seems sort of impossible.

smutty33 and Hopheadhiker like this.
  4. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

Ok, so you must have gotten there moments after the sale started. Sounds like there is potential for some (maybe 10-20 cases) double dipping by the very first people in line.

I guess it is somewhat fair to be frustrated that had the event not started early, those near the cutoff wouldn't have been shafted because they would might have arrived in people 510-520 and thusly gotten one of the cases that got double dip-sniped.
    On the other hand, had they not counted out, there might be people at #521 in line who didn't get a case and wouldn't find out until all the cases and had been doled out. In that scenario, potential customer #521 is pissed he waited from 12:30-1:30 to get shut out.

5. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (161) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

1. It's possible they miscounted slightly.Presumably the people closest to the front would be those most interested in getting 2 cases, so a slight miscount would enable that.

2. Some people might have been on line with friends but not actually planning on getting a case which would have thrown off the count.

3. I'm not sure, but did they allow < case or did you have to get a full case?

6. Joe_Grizzly

Joe_Grizzly Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 New Hampshire

ya they count every person in line as a buyer unless you're a little kid

there were people in front of me in a group that only bought one case

they started early because of parking issues and weather too ( they pretty much had a rent-a-cop blocking the huge parking lot off) I know they discourage parking there but it has never been an issue before (that I know of)

FWIW they started the down pour event in october almost an hour early too

7. Sean802

Sean802 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Vermont

Me and my gf went and we only bought 1 case. I'd guess there were many others like that too.

8. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (275) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

If there was about 500 in line already how on earth could anyone have gone through twice....not to mention I find it hard to believe that #1 got right in behind #500. More likely many more filled in behind #500 and anyone who went back(which was DEF not everyone person) would almost have a 0% chance of getting a second case.

The only logical way this happened is if not enough people were there and it was so slow that everyone who was in line saw the lack of numbers and decided hey what the hell I'll get through twice.

Please someone help me understand this logic? Though I do think it's possible a FEW folks did it, it's highly unlikely that many did. And even if they did, good for them. They got there early and have EVERY right to do it. Your money is no different then mine. BUT knowing me personally, if someone was shut out behind me I'd split it up with them. I don't always need 24 beers to be happy. I hardly drink during the week.

9. rknrll

rknrll Initiate (38) Jul 13, 2009 Massachusetts

This has been answered repeatedly. Not everyone in line bought a case of beer.

10. Jbrews

I still wonder, considering there had to have been more then 500 folks in line as the line moved, it takes time to get to 500. And I've been to many releases, its a VERY small number of other people in line that don't buy or mule. But shit happens right!

11. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

AFAICT, all the descriptions in this thread about people "obviously" having gone through the line twice revolve around seeing more cases than people in or around a trunk. That's hardly conclusive: Maybe their friends sharing a ride had been through the line already and had gone off to grab a cup of coffee or something.

12. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (741) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Left CT. @7am arrived at 11.We were about 75-100th in line.Grew quickly to the point where they did a count and got to 500 or so.Bonus as far as I was concerned because the Kimmichs' started the sale early.Had our allotments pretty quick,I didn't even get a chance to finish the full pour of SN Celebration that Alchemist was handing out.

After, went to hotel room and freshened up for the evening.Dinner at Reservoir w/HF Double Citra,then headed on over to Black Back for some 2nd Fiddle w/Matt and the gang from the Fiddlehead crew.

FWIW,I don't think anyone had a chance to grab a second case.Turnout was impressive as most arrived plenty early.

Cheers to the Alchemist for yet, another well run event.

13. OkayBrendan

OkayBrendan Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2014 Connecticut
    Deactivated

Anyone have insight on the next tent sale? Wild speculation encouraged! The timing makes sense for another sale to be popping up soon

Guzzle_McBrew likes this.
  14. codasnap52

codasnap52 Aspirant (218) Jan 24, 2008 Connecticut

Funny, I was thinking the same thing this morning and did the usual rounds to find any info. Keeping my fingers crossed!

OkayBrendan likes this.
  15. Deggar

Deggar Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2014 Idaho

they usually only announce it on their website and its usually only 1 week in advance

16. SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Connecticut

This is the longest time they've gone between truck sales. I kept hearing last year that there would be one close to Valentine's Day featuring Petite Mutant, so this is still pretty wild speculation but Feb. 14th is a possibility I suppose.

17. OkayBrendan

OkayBrendan Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2014 Connecticut
    Deactivated

Yes, this is what I am hoping for! Really want to compare last years PM with a fresh batch

18. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (545) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

No word from John yet, but Feb. 14 is a very good guess. And the long range weather forecast actually has temps above zero.

codasnap52 likes this.
  19. Guzzle_McBrew

No tent sale to speak of in the near future due to some issues with rather last one. I was able to get in touch with Jen and she said that they were holding off on distributing from that platform for the time being. My want for focal is so strong right now.

20. DrewGingras

DrewGingras Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Vermont

Did she elaborate on what the issue was with the last one?

21. Guzzle_McBrew

Ill have to check my work email and follow back, but it went something to the tune of a massive turnout without enough places to park caused people to park in other businesses' spots. Alchemist didn't want to be bad neighbors while they dropped by.

22. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (545) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

This, and people bringing and drinking beer on-site. They have a permit to pour their beer but BYOB is forbidden. At least one business hired security last time to keep their lot clear.

23. mattosgood

mattosgood Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2014 Massachusetts

this is 100% the fault of the current massively hyped beer releases crap. If they took those 500 cases of, say, Focal Banger and sent it to their accounts, this wouldn't be a problem. It would be a cool bonus for people shopping their favorite stores. This happens with Trillium. I'll go to CBC and see a Fort Point or Congress St. and think "Oh sh*t! A bonus!"

Why breweries aren't doing this, but favoring big releases for which people have to line up four hours before it starts is beyond me. It only leads to things like the aforementioned: taking parking spaces from other businesses (because God forbid you don't get your case of beer) and people ruining the fun by surreptitiously sharing beers in the parking lot.

It's really a bummer because I love Alchemist and their intentions (be it supporting local charities or bringing us fine, fine beer). But these big releases are getting silly. This is proof.

Also, get off my lawn you damn teenagers.

24. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (158) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Having been to most of the tent sales, December was the first one there was even close to a problem. Legitimately wouldn't surprise me if twice as many people showed for that as any of the ones before. Even then the crowd was calm and respectful. They've been the exact opposite of every other big release story I've read on this site - you don't need to get there half a day early (for real I would guess <30 people show up more than 2 hrs ahead of the first can being sold), it brings in a TON of business for Green Mountain and the local restaurants, and there was even a hired guy directing people where to park. If they're going to attract 500 people from here on out I can understand needing a change of plan but let's not act like The Alchemist or the people that show up for it are bad guys here, especially if you haven't been to one yourself.

SenatorSpaceman likes this.
  25. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (249) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Saw Jen at the last sale trying (nicely) to make sure that no one was drinking in line - she had been warned by the property owner, and then the DLC the day before. Such a big crowd, it was hard to enforce. As she walked up & down the line, the guy in front of me said "Is that woman serious? Is she joking?" and snuck a furtive swig from a growler he'd purchased that morning at CBC. When I told him who she was, he was surprised. They will find another way to make it happen, but not without the cooperation of people they are selling to. Otherwise, we will all just have to wait for the new place in Stowe to open, I suppose.

skivtjerry likes this.
  26. Jbrews

If you HAVE to swig from a growler while waiting in line for beer to purchase in the morning, you have a $u$king problem. What an ass

27. smanson56

smanson56 Crusader (795) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Yup and it only takes one or two of that type of idiot to ruin it for the rest of us!

28. mattosgood

mattosgood Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2014 Massachusetts

I feel the same way. Look, we all like some good morning drinking from time to time (actually, I've been meaning to ask this: the people in the "what are you drinking now" thread, are they actually having beers at 7:56 on Tuesday mornings?) on days like Thanksgiving morning coffee and baileys or Super Bowl tailgating at home or at the stadium. But it's people like the aforementioned that always make me question if beer advocates are just drunks in disguise! You're picking up two cases of beer. You need to have 64 ounces before that?!

29. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

There is a hearty portion of beer geeks (and of wine and liquor geeks) who use the "hobby" as a beard to thier alcoholism.

I was at the second to last truck sale. There was drinking in line there too. Sometimes people just don't know how to behave, even when told.

jamesewelch likes this.
  30. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,164) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

I was at the October sale. I do know people parked in front of Green Mountain when asked not to. I parked in the business area behind the tracks which was where I thought we were supposed to park. Reading this I am not sure I was right. The crowd was very polite and cool. There was drinking in the line as a few had coolers. The people behind me were drinking heady. I did not know drinking was not allowed. I also had been driving all day and had more to go so had no intention of drinking either and did not. I am also sure having talked to the people behind me for an hour they had no idea they were breaking the rules. They were extremely nice. This is a strange way to distribute beer, but I had fun in the line. I hope they can get the kinks worked out and keep doing the truck sales.

31. philmore

philmore Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

Having only missed 2 or 3 truck sales in the summer, this last one on 12/6 I saw a lot of empty cans/bottles laying around. More than I remember from other sales.

32. commanchetruck

commanchetruck Initiate (100) May 22, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

I've been to them all, and concur that there were many people being dinks in line in December. I saw multiple people drinking right after being told not to. People trying to cut in line. Maybe they've ruined it for the rest of us.

33. Jmonah3

Jmonah3 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 New York

They should just make a rule that if you get caught drinking, you're out. Hand everyone in line an Alchemist ticket, when you get to the front you exchange your ticket and the cash for a case. If you get caught for trying to cut or drink, you lose your ticket. As soon as you get your case, if you want to go again, just get to the back of the line and get another ticket.

Feel like this would solve the drinking issue.

4ruedebuci, codasnap52 and MattXT like this.
  34. commanchetruck

Trader

This would probably work. People should just act like adults though.

Justin42 and MattXT like this.
  35. Jmonah3

Jmonah3 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 New York

Kind of sad that it's so difficult for people to do that.

36. commanchetruck

Trader

I think a lot of it is alcoholism. If you can't go an hour without having a beer where you are asked not to you have an issue.

37. jessehurlburt

jessehurlburt Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Connecticut

"NO FOCAL BANGER FOR YOU!!"
    <RIPS TICKET OUT OF HAND>
    "NEXT!

38. commanchetruck

Trader

I did manage to get a second case. About 12 people did. So very close to 500 in line in December.

39. Joe_Grizzly

Joe_Grizzly Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 New Hampshire

hopefully it had more to do with the holiday season and one of the beers being a non-hoppy offering

40. Jbrews

Telling people what to do, selling a product that is highly addictive, that can and often does lead to rash or bad decisions will always be hard. It's the nature of the beast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.