Aldi and beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hottenot, Feb 18, 2020.

1. hottenot

hottenot Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Deactivated

I guess it depends where your Aldi is located.

Being near, but nowhere near Lake Norman, I feel like our Aldi is about as good as it gets.

Since idiots with money equate being near a man made lake is desirable.

This is to my advantage since I visit Aldi mostly for the take and bake and the beer.

Does anyone else frequent Aldi to shop for beer?

I have noticed they are trying to appeal to a wider customer base as far as beer goes.

They have started to carry local brands like Foothills Gaelic Ale. And have started getting contracts to have a "Store Brand" sort of like Trader Joe's.

Since it opened, the beer selection has expanded greatly.

There are still some duds like the porter that isn't.

Thoughts?

2. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,124) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Brewery

I consider the $6.99 six pack of Wernesgruener to be one of the best deals out there

3. hottenot

hottenot Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Me too!

ChicagoJ and herrburgess like this.
  4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,266) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Rumor is our Aldi's has a non-compete with their neighbor retailer, which already has a large alcohol selection, meaning there is no alcohol sold at the Aldi's. The next closest Aldi's is in a state with weird alcohol laws, which limits grocery stores from selling alcohol.

In short, the Aldis near me aren't a good destination for alcohol. Or a destination at all. I miss having cheap wine and beer specials, as it's all pretty good stuff. At least, that's how I remember it from my college days.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  5. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (514) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

The Aldis in PA don't carry beer (at least the ones I've been to), but I wish they would.

6. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,732) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Living in Germany, I don't think I ever bought a single beer there, as their selection is usually limited to the worst fernseh and discounter beer imaginable here. I made an exception today, just for the heck of it, and bought these three "craft beers", although the untappd ratings kinda make me wish that I hadn't. Not that I had high hopes for them in the first place, but at 60 cents a can I just thought what the hell. At least they are reasonably fresh by German standards at about 3 months old.

[​IMG]

ColdOne, ChicagoJ, Shanex and 5 others like this.
  7. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (953) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Someone who received way too many Aldi beer advent calendars gave me one and the best I can say is that most of the beers in there were solidly not off putting. They didn't stand out for being anything I'd purposefully seek out, but the were surprisingly not bad and perhaps some were enjoyable.

8. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Defender (639) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

No beer at the Aldi nearest me. :slight_frown:

9. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (509) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

The one near me has a pretty good IPA available. Not a local but it is in cans and is a great deal for the price.

ChicagoJ, hottenot and Buckeye55 like this.
  10. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (861) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

That blue can is interesting looking to say the least.

Aldi here in PA offer zero alcohol, Trader Joe’s does not either.

While foods and other larger food stores do.

Not sure why Aldi and Joes do not.

I would try the beers if they sold them.

Enjoy

ChicagoJ and hottenot like this.
  11. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,240) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

We do frequently shop Aldi's however the beer selection isn't impressive. I have purchased some offerings but they've been average at best ... not awful though. The Aldi's closest to me does receive shipments of Great Lakes and Brewdog which is cool.
    [​IMG]
    Picked this up some time back around Christmas. Not bad but again average at best ... can't beat the price though.

Shanex, ChicagoJ, hottenot and 2 others like this.
  12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,007) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

They would need to obtain the proper license which requires a certain number of dining seats (I think something like 50 seats?). Wegmans achieves this with their pub and the Whole Foods stores have plenty of seating for dining as well.

I am uncertain what the license fee is and how restrictive they are (i.e., so many licenses per community).

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, hottenot, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  13. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina

The Aldi here on Kernersville has expanded their beer selection, but it's still fairly modest. It has a few Highland Brewing and Foothills selections, as well as a few German brews. It's definitely not my go to place for beer, but I check out the selection while we are grocery shopping. Their prices on beer are very reasonable

14. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (861) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Seats? Wow, our state is messed up. What having seats has to do with buying beer I don’t know.

The Weiss must have seats but I’ve not noticed them. Other stores do have seats. Are they sat in? Not that I see.

Enjoy

ChicagoJ and hottenot like this.
  15. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,963) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Both the Pilsner and the Dark -- which is available locally at this time, pretty sure it's a seasonal rotation because it's not always in stock.

The Dark is a really great rendition of a Northern Bavarian Dunkel (even though it's brewed in the north of Germany); deep and dark with a dense, light tan head and a great balance between roasted and bready malts. Damn, I need to get back for another six-pack before it's gone!

16. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (138) Mar 16, 2018 Tennessee

No Aldi around here, but I do really enjoy the beer selection at their cousin-store, Trader Joe’s.

hottenot and steveh like this.
  17. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,732) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I've just had the Malt Biker Red Ale and it was even more terrible than expected. Maybe not offensive as such, just horribly bland and artificial tasting. Even 60 cents is a waste for this trash.

hottenot and JackHorzempa like this.
  18. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (146) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

To be honest, I’m not a fan of ALDI, although it seems like everyone else around here is obsessed with it lately. I go there occasionally if I’m only picking up a couple of things and don’t want to deal with a big store. Their basics are usually okay, like crackers or peanut butter, but for anything even remotely fancy like cheese, I’ve not been impressed. Their produce, while priced well, doesn’t usually look great, and are mostly pre-packaged (so you can’t choose and bag your own), which I dislike. I can get most things for a comparable price on sale at Kroger. Okay, rant over.

I would never consider buying beer there, even though my ALDI does sell some local craft beer in addition to the store brands some have already mentioned. I’ve never checked dates there, but I can’t imaging the product moves very fast, being off-brand and at a store that isn’t known for selling beer. It doesn’t help that Indiana won’t let grocery stores sell cold beer.

tzieser likes this.
  19. herrburgess

Brewery

just got home from ALDI. need to correct my earlier post: $5.99 a six pack. prost!

pudgym29, hottenot, jonb5 and 6 others like this.
  20. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,830) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Seconded and seconded.

hottenot and herrburgess like this.
  21. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (299) Nov 3, 2005 California

I agree with @herrburgess about the Wernesgrüner - if you're looking for a fairly fresh imported German pilsner at a great price, it can't be beat.

At least here in CA, that's where the fun stops. The remaining US and German selection is extremely small and sketchy at best. Definitely not their focus.

hottenot, herrburgess and FBarber like this.
  22. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’ve never bought beer from Aldis, but they do carry Foothills beers if that’s your thing. The rest look like bootleg beers, a six with windmills on it with a funny name that takes off on Heineken. I buy wine every now and then, but their meats are first rate except the steaks which are 2nd choice on the cut. And fruits and vegetables, Hell, I can ever get fresh Amoroso rolls from Philly somehow.

hottenot likes this.
  23. herrburgess

Brewery

try the Wernesgruener Pils. have a feeling you might like it

Squire, scottakelly, hottenot and 3 others like this.
  24. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I will after my 30 days beer hiatus, do they date this beer?

hottenot and FBarber like this.
  25. Bigrock

Bigrock Initiate (98) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

We have several Aldis around but I’ve never been in one. HEB is where it’s at in Texas.

CaptainPiret, Txex06 and hottenot like this.
  26. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,963) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Yes, at least on the bottles. You can turn them in the unique six-pack carrier to see the back label of the bottles with the best-by date.

hottenot, FBarber and nc41 like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

That is because they need to obtain what the PLCB classifies as a Restaurant License:

“Restaurant (R)–Restaurant Liquor License

▪Most common retail license type.

▪Can sell beer, wine and liquor.

▪Requires 400 square feet of serving space.

▪Food and seating for at least 30 people must be available at all times.”

https://www.lcb.pa.gov/Licensing/ResourcesForLicensees/Documents/Retail Licensee Seminar 8.22.18.pdf

Apparently there is a bill being proposed in Harrisburg to further improve aspects:

“Under this proposal, grocery stores or convenience stores could purchase a convenience permit for a one-time fee of $25,000. This would give them the ability to: be exempt from the 30 seat requirement for a restaurant license, allow the purchase of beer and wine at additional registers, sell beer and wine for off-premise consumption, allow individual beer and wine sales containing more than the 192 ounce (beer) and 3,000 milliliter (wine) limit, place wine and beer products anywhere in the store, and to hold educational or cooking classes featuring alcoholic products for sale. Rep. Dowling says it’s all about convenience to the constituents.”

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/4...r-wine-sale-requirements-in-pa-grocery-stores

Perhaps you might want to write your state legislators to support this new bill?

Cheers!

lastmango, KentT and hottenot like this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Society

Edit: They purchase Eating Place (E) licenses:

Eating Place (E) –Retail Dispenser ▪Can sell beer and malt/brewed beverages only.▪Requires 300 square feet of serving space.▪Food and seating for at least 30 people must be available at all times.▪Must have a current and valid health license from issuing authority.▪Food MUST be prepared on the licensed premises.

hottenot and officerbill like this.
  29. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Meyvn (1,368) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

Broegel Original Bock

30. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,830) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Thats the Shiner clone right?

hottenot likes this.
  31. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (220) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

The Aldi near you still carries Wernesgruener? That was my most purchased beer and in the store near me it always seemed to be changing expiration dates so it seemed to be moving well.
    But half a year to a year ago it just disappeared from the shelves.

They kept the label on the shelf up until a couple of weeks ago so I held out hope and always asked about it.

I figured it disappeared everywhere. Now I'm disappointed to find out it's just a local problem.

Broegel is not bad. I like it more now that I think of it as more of a Belgian beer. Judging by it's label the times I bought it I thought it should be a knock off of Shiner Bock.

But I was disappointed that it didn't.
    But now that I'm thinking of it differently it definitely has the sweet estery flavors I'd expect from a Belgian beer.

32. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (220) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

It's far from a Shiner clone. The label is almost identical to Shiner but I think Broegel tastes more like a Belgian Brown ale than a Shiner clone.

33. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Meyvn (1,368) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

34. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,563) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

The nearest Aldi store is about 800 miles away, so.....

Reidrover, ZebulonXZogg and hottenot like this.
  35. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (251) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

There’s one right down the street from me and I’ve been in there maybe twice in the 15? years it’s been there. I thought it was dirty and the food selection was poor, especially the produce. They closed for a bit and rebuilt it about two years ago but I have not been in since then and I do not know if they sell beer. The parking lot is full when I drive by there, so there are people going there. Some folks rave about it but I’ve never been impressed enough to go in there. I get that the prices are low, but it’s my experience that you usually get what you pay for in a grocery store. Your mileage may vary.

36. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,852) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Wernesgruner is still in the Aldi stores around here.

37. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,092) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I go to Aldi once a year for the maibock and that's it.

My Aldi also carries a couple locals, Two Hearted usually being one of them.

38. officerbill

officerbill Crusader (767) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

There are three Aldi's near me. None of them sell beer. An Asst. Manager at the one near me said they wouldn't sell enough beer to deal with the hassles of a liquor license.

My understanding is that, in PA, you aren't actually buying beer & wine from the grocery store; you're buying it from the “restaurant” within the store. IIRC the Giant-Eagle my son shops at has a separate check-out for alcohol.

hottenot and JackHorzempa like this.
  39. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Defender (639) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Due to NY laws, the only Total Wine on Long Island is similar, but the beer part of the operation is totally separated from the wine and spirits space. You actually have to walk in a separate entrance, and there's no connection between the two once your inside. The beer shop even has to operate under a different name - New York Marketplace & Brewery District. :rolling_eyes:

keithmurray and officerbill like this.
  40. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (706) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

This post is on point with my view of Aldis. I don’t need them in my life, and they’re building a new one very close to me.