Ale Asylum - New Beer

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Nate3686, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EliteDigger

EliteDigger Initiate (0) May 9, 2006 Wisconsin

Whatever happened to High Coup? Subcultcha? I thought those were supposed to be releases this year? High Coup back in April and Subcultcha in Oct?

2. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Ale Asylum ‏@Ale_Asylum Nov 6
    Ale Asylum Retweeted Ri0
    Recipes weren't quite where we wanted them so we decided to postpone a bit.

3. Brocklanders34

Brocklanders34 Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Wisconsin

Velveteen habit is back instead!

CMLinder and OBD like this.
  4. CMLinder

CMLinder Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2015 Wisconsin

I heard from a birdie that High Coup will be a springtime release.

edit: They also have a bunch of experimental batches on tap at the taphouse. Could be they are determining demand/popularity with those batches for upcoming releases...

5. CMLinder

And Velveteen Habit is so damn good! I'm glad to see it back around.

Nachos4two likes this.
  6. bwelch21

bwelch21 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 Wisconsin

Just announced more details for 2016, including a ramped-up barrel-aging program.

There will be six different beers in the barrel-aged program at the Asylum’s facilities. Two of these beers, Impending Dissent and Impending Descent, are both Imperial Stouts, but they are only similar in style.

Dissent is made with yeast strains associated with Belgian beers during fermentation, and will age in a rum barrel. Descent, on the other hand, is made with yeast strains found in British style beers, and will age in a bourbon barrel.

The four other beers in the program are vastly different from each other. Mercy, a Grand Cru-style beer currently in the company’s seasonal rotation, will feature some batches aging in tequila barrels.

Diablo Belga, a Belgian-style Dubbel that will be featured from March until May, will have batches aging in rum barrels. And KINK, a Belgian-style Abbey, will age in Chardonnay barrels.

Finally, Ale Asylum is bringing back their Sticky McDoogle Scotch Ale, which will feature some batches aged in Bourbon barrels.​

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/20...-for-beer-lovers-with-exciting-new-endeavors/

CMLinder and sonoma01 like this.
  7. Skins

Skins Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2010 Wisconsin

I was very happy to see this yesterday too! BBA Sticky mcDoogle...

8. Ri0

Good, AA has done well with these styles and it will be nice to have some different options for BA beer. KINK in Chard barrels will certainly be something to try.

9. chazmcbro

chazmcbro Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2010 Wisconsin

Pretty excited to try the BA dissent/descent offerings. Thought both beers were very good on their own.

10. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (64) Nov 11, 2009 Utah
    Trader

Anyone have Hu$h Money at the brewery? Bombers should be out this week?

11. CMLinder

I cracked a bottle of the Impending Dissent this weekend, and it had soured. Was still drinkable, but there was absolutely no chocolate to be smelled or tasted. Sweet, tart cherry notes were all that I was able to detect. Very disappointing. :slight_frown:

Still waiting to pop the top on the RIS (Impending Descent) though. Hopefully it's not the same experience..

One of my friends on Untappd (also works at Ale Asylum) posted about Hu$h Money on tap at the brewery; said that he was liking it more than Velveteen Habit, as it was more "fruity and JUICY!".

12. djhowell

djhowell Disciple (332) Apr 1, 2009 Wisconsin

They could use a new graphic designer/marketing person. Then again, they call all their patrons "inmates" as if their name was Ale Jail too so I'm not sure they have a great grasp on marketing to begin with.

SundayMorninCominDown likes this.
  13. Ri0

Hu$h is hitting Madison stores as I type this. Star and Steve's both received some bottles.

14. CMLinder

Any word/info of Alpine or the grocery stores (Woodman's, HyVee) receiving bottles of Hu$h?

15. CMLinder

I think you're not grasping the use of the term "inmates" in their marketing.

kkleu357 likes this.
  16. dcw6363

Trader

http://isthmus.com/food-drink/beer/ale-asylum-hush-money-ipa/

According to this article:

"Only 200 cases will leave the brewery, and Madison will get only about a third of them. Retailers will be limited to around two cases each."​

So Madison gets around 66 cases, two cases per retailer, so that means 33 retailers. So probably some grocery stores because I don't think there are 33 Star/Steve's type places? Not sure though

#136 dcw6363, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    CMLinder likes this.
  17. chazmcbro

chazmcbro Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2010 Wisconsin

Probably anywhere that sells Ale Asylum and large format bottles is a safe bet.

18. djhowell

djhowell Disciple (332) Apr 1, 2009 Wisconsin

Jails have inmates, asylums have patients. Even if you want to point to some archaic usage of the term, it's corny as all hell.

19. dcw6363

Trader

It's good but not great, in my opinion. Completely different hop profile than their other hoppy beers. Tropical. The aroma and initial taste are good but I thought the finish wasn't there.

20. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2014 Wisconsin

So about the average beer from Ale Asylum. I still don't get it. I used to love their stuff pre new building. Now it's all kind of meh.

jimmyfishkin likes this.
  21. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,941) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Bedlam isn't above average anymore? Say it ain't so. Seriously, it's been a while since I was compelled to pick up anything from Ale Asylum.

Gotti311 and jRocco2021 like this.
  22. Ri0

Ale Asylum makes many very good brews, but they are all so readily available and well priced there isn't any big hype to make them taste better. Also, WI hasn't seen an influx of so much new awesome beer since the good old days of Ale Asylum. :rolling_eyes:

23. dcw6363

Trader

Bedlam is very good. Velveteen Habit is also very good. I still like Ambergeddon whenever I have it, that style is not common in WI. Some of their malty beers have been solid, for example Hummmane and Pantheon.

To me some of their bigger IPAs like Ballistic and Satisfaction Jacksin are a little meh.

But overall? Great brewery to have in town.

JimBob721 and jimmyfishkin like this.
  24. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (208) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I still enjoy and on occasion purchase some of Ale Asylums offerings. However, I've kind of placed them at Capital status, meaning, their beer is always readily available, so I have no incentive to purchase it for fear of it selling out. That being said I did enjoy Velveteen Habit and pick it up now and again, and revisited Sticky McDoogle this past weekend and enjoyed it more than I remember liking it in the past.

Corpsicle664 likes this.
  25. Andrew_P

Andrew_P Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2014 Wisconsin

I have to admit I tend to hate on them more than I probably should. Hopalicious used to be one of my favorites, but I hit a point where I'd have a pint at a bar and stopped enjoying it. Which could be attributed to shitty beer lines. I still enjoy the heck out of Satisfaction. Some of their newer ones are very hit or miss. The first time I tried Hummmane and Pantheon I really liked them, other times they seemed really flavorless to me. Not sure if it's a consistency issue or what. That being said, I had a Hopalicious 2 days ago and it was awesome.

And you're right about having them in town.

26. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,941) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

I did enjoy Pantheon, so that was nice. And some of their other hoppy beers have been good, though my palate seems to prefer the types with less malt and more dryness (read: grapefruit bombs from the West Coast, tropical fruit juice from the East Coast), and so I tend to find Wisconsin IPAs to be maltier than I'd like, and Ale Asylum's hoppy offerings are clear examples of that style. That being said, the Belgian style beers like Diablo Belga, etc. have not really been to my liking.

All that said, I'd still rather have Ale Asylum around than not have them around, if that makes sense.

dunklevice and Mitchell57 like this.
  27. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

Hush Money is alright for the price. Should be $6-7 a bomber.

Very understated, not a jump forward in IPA's for Wisconsin, pretty much more of the same. It is tasting very fresh, so that's a bonus. Drink it fast. Not a game changer but reminiscent of one of the middle of the road X-hops I remember, though this is a blend of hops.

28. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin

What is the price on this beer?

29. Ri0

I paid $6.49 at Woodmans. I also thought it is decent for the price and it reminded me of X Hops Yellow.

Hendrick24 likes this.
  30. Ri0

That is what I expect from AA. If you want a jump forward keep an eye out for Door County and Titletown Pale Ales.

PseudoBen and robear like this.
  31. robear

Totally agree.

32. robear

$7. Right on.

33. handro

handro Initiate (0) May 25, 2012 Wisconsin

I'm surprised that they have Hu$h Money at the festival foods in my small town. Didn't think they pushed much beer so didn't think they would get something like. Bought it without knowing anything about it as I like Ale Asylum and never seen a bomber with their name on it. Pretty good stuff!

Ri0 likes this.
  34. PseudoBen

PseudoBen Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Wisconsin

the mosaic pale they have on at the titletown taproom is fantastic. much agreed about both of those places.

35. dcw6363

Trader

According to a full-page ad in the Isthmus last week, High Coup is being released today, on tap at least. $4 pints at 20 different bars. On 4/20. Get it? Get it??? :rolling_eyes: Not sure about bottles

Yohann likes this.
  36. Ri0

Bottles everywhere in Madison.
    [​IMG]

jimmyfishkin and sonoma01 like this.
  37. Nate3686

Nate3686 Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2014 Wisconsin

Any reviews on High Coup?

38. Ri0

Yes, mine.