Alesmith - Bottle Releases

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by SDReaper, Oct 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goldstar81

Goldstar81 Initiate (139) Jul 15, 2010 California
    Trader

Was there November 15. Line of 15 or so 5 minutes before opening. My first visit to the new location and it's great. Much more comfortable than the previous location and lots of merch if you're into that sort of thing. Bottle pick up took longer than expected as there was some confusion for proxies who were picking up multiple orders. Not sure if it was a BPT issue. Tasting room menu was a bit of a cluster especially for the 32 oz growler fills as the tap list was not at all updated and the staff seemed pretty annoyed with people repeatedly asking if other speedway variants were available. I was able to walk away with a fill of Hawaiian and barrel aged so I guess I can't complain.

2. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Devotee (489) Jan 7, 2013 California

Sorry, but how difficult is it for you to have your order #'s? Pop open your smart phone and it's right there in the email. Those mules you got should have easily sent you their confirmation emails as well.

Hey, thank you boxes require a little bit of effort now.

3. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

They pretty much rejected most of the larger tours back in the Cabot Drive days. Bigger isn't always better.

A logical way to handle it would be to shunt the tour traffic to the taps on the right, and leave the left side of the bar to the rest of the crowd. But beer drinking isn't always logical.

4. HeavySpeedway

Precisely.

In the "old days", you handed them printed copies of your BPT receipt. And I'll say it again - if you find it inconvenient, then stop proxying for people. In fact, why don't you write Alesmith and bitch enough so they say "f&%# - we will no longer allow for proxies"?

5. fondyball20

fondyball20 Disciple (335) Feb 14, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

It's not hard at all. It said right in the confirmation email that you needed to make sure your proxy had a copy. It took me 15 seconds to forward the email. I think people would just rather complain about the "system" instead of following simple instructions.

smithj2154 and J-loco like this.
  6. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (569) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

some people also enjoy complaining about people complaining

elzacharino, J-loco and Coldstorage like this.
  7. fondyball20

fondyball20 Disciple (335) Feb 14, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'm not complaining, I was making a statement/observation

8. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (690) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

I'm complaining because your post had far to many letter Is and not nearly enough letter Ds.

Themightywrenn and J-loco like this.
  9. Redgoatman

Redgoatman Aspirant (295) May 21, 2015 California
    Trader

Rabble rabble rabble!

ryno09 and Sebowski like this.
  10. Lostmango

Lostmango Initiate (136) Jun 29, 2013 California

I am pretty sure that us what the Internet is for....

11. J-loco

J-loco Aspirant (213) Jan 23, 2015 California
    Trader

I'm upset period!

SDReaper likes this.
  12. HeavySpeedway

Some people like pointing out the fallacy of many complaints. Also, some people like pointing out that many of the complainers end up acting like the Soup Nazi customers when push comes to shove. Rather than backing up their words with action. For example, I bet the next time there is some sort of BPT sale involving a BA or variant Speedway, all the people that are complaining here will be F5ing away on their computer.

Kramerwtmf and elzacharino like this.
  13. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (458) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

And some people like complaining about people complaining about those who complain.

I only bitch when my favorite brewery (this week) runs out of beer.

14. SDReaper

Trader

The excitement when you hear you got one of the last pours of viet speedway and then the feels when you realize that it isn't going back on but instead ends up getting replaced by jbm speedway, insta excite again....my emotional state can only take it so much when alesmith does this to me. =P

15. SDReaper

Trader

Grab the Mikkeller beers, I quite enjoyed that ipa.

HaoleToYouToo likes this.
  16. supertech

supertech Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2015 California

the hawaiian was so good. to me, it was better than JBC. the filipino coffee that they had at Toronodo was amazing too. hope they bottle that one as well.

17. Jhurley1

Jhurley1 Initiate (125) Jan 14, 2011 Virginia
    Trader

Have you had a good experience in general when infusing stouts with the Randall Jr? Was thinking about picking one up but haven't seen many reviews. Thanks.

18. Telly13

Telly13 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 California

You are better off just getting a regular coffee press. I have used both and prefer my coffee press a lot more.

Vivified likes this.
  19. riko

riko Initiate (124) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I've had very good experiences adding toasted coconut to stouts with the Randal Jr. I was dubious about it when my wife got it for me, but it has worked really well.

I've also had very good experiences using a french press, especially with fruit because you can mash it down a little bit and squeeze some extra juice out, but the downside to the coffee press is you lose more carbonation.

20. MGarret

MGarret Initiate (80) Aug 13, 2015 Oregon

Might be in SD in late March or early April for work, and curious about the bpt system/alesmith one-offs in general. Do they typically do a release at this time of year (Feb-March, with pickup theoretically available in the timeframe I'd be in town)? Any particular base beer or variants? (Speedway/Numbskull/???, BA/coffee/dry hop etc etc?)

Also how do they initially announce the bottle releases - website, twitter, otherwise?

21. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (569) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

seeing this thread bumped made me excited, and now i'm sad.

but to answer your question, they have a mailing list you can sign up for on their site. also Facebook, instagram etc... we probably are due for once soon. i don't think they release at the same time every year but i would bet something is getting released soon

hey you could always ask them too!

Justinsosmart likes this.
  22. SDReaper

Trader

There is a bottle in the works, at least that is the rumor floating around. My time at the tasting room has been almost non-existent lately so my info is coming second hand and not direct from Alesmith like usual.

Info will go out in their newsletter as well as FB and instagram as black_rider mentioned. Their pickup windows have seemed to start 1 week after initial BPT sale and last for about 2 - 2.5months.

If you are arriving in April, outlook is good you would see something from Alesmith, maybe even from Mikkeller as well since their tasting room is now stated to be opening in March.

23. MGarret

MGarret Initiate (80) Aug 13, 2015 Oregon

Sorry for the disappointment, thanks to you and @SDReaper for the info. If it eases the pain I'm coming West with some of the Hardywood stouts for trading...

24. reidjoshua

reidjoshua Initiate (165) May 3, 2013 California
    Trader

I'm always down to trade for some Hardywood/VA/DC beer I don't have available to me anymore. PM me.

25. HeavySpeedway

Get back on it, Reaper.

I'm not sure giving up the rumor will make it any more difficult for anybody trying to get it: the rumor involves a coffee explosion version of a well known Alesmith beer.

smithj2154 likes this.
  26. smithj2154

smithj2154 Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 California

Is there a chance that Double Hammerhead finally makes it to bottle?

27. HeavySpeedway

Both rumors I've heard have its older and more laid back sibling appearing, with one of the rumors saying that the two younger siblings will show up as well. I put more credence in the single only rumor.

smithj2154 likes this.
  28. smithj2154

smithj2154 Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 California

Well put. Not sure why I'm so worried about it. I'll buy at least a couple of whatever they release:grinning:

29. reidjoshua

reidjoshua Initiate (165) May 3, 2013 California
    Trader

Good timing.

On February 29, two new and rather amazing beers will go on-sale online - Hammerhead Speedway Stout and Port Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy. Wipe the saliva from your suddenly slack jaw and save the date. This is the first time we've ever bottled our extremely popular Hammerhead Speedway, which gets its name from the café staple in which baristas add a shot of espresso to an already caffeine-rich cup of coffee. Similarly, we add espresso to Speedway Stout. Then there's our award-winning Scotch ale, Wee Heavy, which has been sitting in Port wine barrels, picking up great grape must and sherry notes along the way. Rich and caramely, it, like the Hammerhead, is worth setting a calendar alert for.

TNeedles, MGarret, gregoryG and 4 others like this.
  30. jrob21

jrob21 Devotee (409) May 4, 2006 Georgia
    Trader

Are you guys like clairvoyant or something? The speculation was perfectly timed here.

31. SDReaper

Trader

Well I guess now I can say that the rumor was true. I didn't want to spread any false information so apologies for keeping it under wraps but yeah, Hammerhead Speedway. Max. That. Shit. also Port Wee Heavy, that should be tasty as well.

AleSmithBrewing likes this.
  32. grze

grze Devotee (495) Apr 17, 2012 Nevada
    Trader

I want BAHSS! :angry:

33. SDReaper

Trader

We made some of this during the HSS release and really either our various ratios were just off or it just wouldn't be all that good. I think the blending we did with regular bass and hss just muted the flavors of hss so much that it just didn't come out like we had hoped.

34. grze

Trader

I just love even the regular one. Top5 beer at ratebeerfest :wink: And a blend with 1/3 velvet + 2/3 hss is just heaven.

TNeedles, reefer_bob and smithj2154 like this.
  35. SDReaper

Trader

I'll have to give that a shot.

grze likes this.
  36. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (224) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

I didn't like Hawaiian Speedway very much. It was good but probably my least favorite Speedway variant.

37. Xul

Xul Champion (820) May 18, 2008 California

Draft or bottle?

38. grze

Trader

Give em all to me!!! :slight_smile:

I think most people just drink it too cold, even when you know you should wait, this beer starts to open up like crazy at 65-70F, draft or bottles. Or it's just my personal preference maybe...

dddddddd, TNeedles and Xul like this.
  39. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (224) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

Bottle. And we let it warm up for a good long while after the initial taste.

40. iamthecarlos

iamthecarlos Initiate (153) Jan 2, 2015 California
    Trader

People don't waste a second to post it hahaha. damn!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.