Release AleSmith Speedway Stout Cans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Brolo75, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Brolo75

Brolo75 Meyvn (1,389) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

2. Blutz

Blutz Initiate (156) Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'm all for any effort to get beer out of bombers and into 12oz formats.

3. flaskman

flaskman Aspirant (204) Aug 3, 2015 New York

I am excited. I agree with getting the can vs. the bomber. I love beer but would prefer not to have to crack a bomber to enjoy it.

4. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (180) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

16oz cans. I actually prefer the pint size cans to 12oz, even for heavy stouts like this and EMJ.

5. SFNC

SFNC Devotee (482) Apr 7, 2013 North Carolina

Just what the doctor ordered, dark beer for dark times.

6. gshak

gshak Zealot (504) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

I'm with you on this. Bust unfortunately it's a 16 ozer instead of 12. With a 750 ml bottle at least I have the option of using a wine stopper and drink it over the course of several days. With a 16oz I'm now on a fast track to weight gain and other dastardly things.

apendecto, DWheeler379, Blutz and 4 others like this.
  7. zid

zid Crusader (734) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

It's funny how much more presence they gave the word "coffee" on this package.

I think I remember some interview with Peter Zien where he was bragging about being a craft beer pioneer in putting high ABV beers in 750s. It was an image thing. My memory could be failing me though. I rolled my eyes then and I smile now.

alucard6679 and HopsCraftHouse like this.
  8. ebin6

ebin6 Disciple (336) Jun 11, 2009 California

I've seen liquor store posts on IG that these are sold solo, not in a 4-pack. Very disappointing as that most likely means a crappy price point. Evil Twin is doing it, why can't everyone else!

9. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Crusader (798) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Not exactly sure what you're referring to, but if its political in nature, I would ask that you keep those kinds of comments out of the forum.

Let's just focus on the beer.

10. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (179) May 14, 2015 Colorado

Like fun?

Hayden34 likes this.
  11. smutty33

smutty33 Zealot (551) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Loving this move, will definitely be drinking Speedway more often now that I don't have to pick the right time to drink 25oz.

ebin6, highdesertdrinker and Brolo75 like this.
  12. SFNC

SFNC Devotee (482) Apr 7, 2013 North Carolina

Nothing like a good dark stout on a February night!

13. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,270) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

While I'm not all for getting rid of the bomber, this is one beer I'd be glad to see in both formats. Such a lovely beer. It is without a doubt a great coffee stout, and making it in a more accessible format will only do it favors. I'd love to have a 4 or 6 pack at my place sitting in the cellar to get a shot of coffee whenever I need one!

Brolo75 and FBarber like this.
  14. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (1,707) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Stout in cans has never really taken off but it certainly works well for Ten Fidy!

Gemini6 likes this.
  15. Harrison8

Beer Trader

It's up on some online retailers I like to check from time to time. I really am glad it came to the format. I just hope the bomber sticks around. Since I have to trade for Alesmith, the bomber is more worth it, and it's such an experience of a beer, that I enjoy sharing it - and the bomber makes that much more do-able.

Brolo75 likes this.
  16. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Disciple (313) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

Dude, that's awesome. I can't wait to grab some. Stout tallboys, its such a beautiful sight.

17. ebin6

I don't think it's ever been in the bomber format, only 750s

18. ebin6

Anyone seen a price point yet? I've been scouring IG and can't find anything.

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  19. ebin6

I think it is happening right now. Evil Twin is doing it and there's a chance KRBC will do it now that Just Outstanding is canned. SoB by Epic, 5Beans (the #Bean series), etc. I'm elated.

Gemini6 likes this.
  20. Harrison8

Beer Trader

Is a bomber only 22oz? I always just thought it was a larger format bottle. Woops. Either way, I like Speedway in the larger bottle and hope they still offer that as well.

21. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Devotee (427) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

I would love to be able to find this one here in Las Vegas! Looks like a great beer.

22. ebin6

Yeah, bomber is only the 22oz, I'm sure because of the B-22 reference (at least that's what I've always assumed). I would doubt they'll keep both though. I am trying to think of beers that are sold in varying formats and can't think of any, not counting the magnum bottles that are just for fun.

What I CAN'T find out is how much these suckers cost!!! I won't know how to feel about it I do so. I was really hoping for a ~$15 4-pack like Even More Jesus and Biscotti. If it's $6 a can, that's no bueno.

Gemini6 likes this.
  23. magilldm

magilldm Initiate (129) May 2, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Almanac started canning Barbary Coast w/coffee; picked up a can for $6 the other day and saw another store for $7. I'm assuming it will fall in that range

ebin6 likes this.
  24. raynmoon

raynmoon Defender (687) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I bet single cans will be 5$ at the cheapest, $8 at the highest.

25. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,023) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It seems the brewery is charging $8 per can. Not sure if they typically sell over retail to not compete with stores like some breweries do. It also appears these will be sold individually so any 4 pack will need to be 4 singles. ;)

ebin6 likes this.
  26. ebin6

That was my fear. Barbary Coast is a good example actually. I've passed it over every time for that reason. Even Xocoveza is a much better deal at $18 a six-pack. Too many other better options, which is too bad because I'd choose Speedway over them.

chrismattlin likes this.
  27. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (305) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Just saw these at one of my favorite shops that is always fair in pricing (part of the reason I like it). Listed for $8.59 a can. Seems high, but on a price/ounce basis it isn't. Can is ~$0.536/ounce compared to a 750 ml bottle, which is $13.49, comes out to be $0.533/ounce. Negligible difference in price. Definitely prefer cans if price is the same. They're lighter and can go places bottles can't, such as the beach or a hiking trip so I'm happy with this move by Alesmith. Now if they would just can .394 Pale Ale already!!

28. ebin6

Right, but part of the benefit of canning is supposed to be a better price point, not the same (or in this case, slightly higher) price point. Even a $25 4-pack would be over $10 off the six-pack-equivalent. I find it hard to believe that Alesmith couldn't find a heavy profit at that price, but would love to hear the argument. I get not being able to sell BBA imperials in that format, but a coffee stout?

29. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Devotee (471) May 13, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

$8 a can? Wow. I like this beer a lot but right now I can get Imperial Biscotti Break and Even More Jesus at $11-$12 a four pack (16oz cans). I like Speedway more but not enough to pay double for it on a steady basis. I'll probably grab one can and that's it.

30. skleice

skleice Aspirant (202) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Yep. I never buy Speedway because of the 750ml format. I won't be buying $8 cans either....oh well.

Gemini6, tzieser, swolepeer and 2 others like this.
  31. SoCal_Matt

Beer Trader

I definitely agree here. Honestly, I never purchase Speedway because the price is outrageous for what it is, especially with all the the other great options at cheaper prices. I was just trying illustrate that it is essentially the same price in the new cans because at first glance I think most people would see $8 cans as a price increase. It's disappointing that they didn't lower the price with the new cans like Port Brewing did with the recent canning of Mongo and High Tide. I have bought at least two sixers of each of those in the decently priced can format and would likely do the same with Speedway if there was a similar price decrease.

tzieser, raynmoon and ebin6 like this.
  32. ebin6

Yeah, at least it isn't an increase; good point. And I was speaking to the beer community at large in that last part, not you specifically. That wasn't clear.

Pizza Port is a great example. I almost never bought Mongo anymore because it always sat around. Now it flies off the shelf. Even if that's partly due to novelty, it is still good business. I guess we'll see how this batch of Speedway sells

SoCal_Matt likes this.
  33. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Savant (981) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

This is one of my favorite beers and I'm glad to see the new format. Even if it's not in 12 oz 4 packs, which is definitely preferable. I like it better somewhat fresh, inside of 1 1/2 years and cans tend to age slower.

34. SoCal_Matt

Beer Trader

Same with me. While I am a big fan of Mongo, I never bought it because I try to stay away from the bomber format if possible and freshness was almost always an issue. With the price decrease I now view it as an option almost every time I see it in the store.

Like you said above, I'm sure that the cans will increase Speedway sales to some degree just due to the novelty of the cans, but without a decrease in price I could see that wearing off pretty quickly. Hopefully, they realize this and lower the price at some point. One of the best examples of this for me is Great Divide and BA Yeti. That stuff used to sit at $30/bottle in years past. I think they figured out that price point didn't work and lowered it to ~$17 this year IIRC. I was more than happy with that price and purchased a bottle and I think others did as well because it is all gone while older vintages still collect dust at some shops.

Scott17Taylor and ebin6 like this.
  35. zid

zid Crusader (734) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

But what's the story behind such a drastic price drop? Either the old prices were drastically inflated AND out of step with other brewers' products... or there's been a change to production and/or overhead that allowed them to lower the price.

ebin6 likes this.
  36. SoCal_Matt

Beer Trader

I'm sure that there is something going on behind that scenes that we're not aware that allowed such a steep price cut, but I also think that a part of the price drop, based on what I have seen and heard from others, was lack of sales. Even if something did happen that allowed them to cut costs of production, if it was selling well at $30 they would have likely kept the price point there and just enjoyed the higher profit margin.

ebin6 likes this.
  37. raynmoon

raynmoon Defender (687) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Seeing cans of this next to cans of Even More Jesus for half the price; is there even an argument?!

People want a price decrease for moving to cans, I get it, but breweries are charging $20 4-packs for anything hazy and in cans, and we hear no bicker.

For what the beer is, it is worth it. But there are better options out there.

ebin6 likes this.
  38. ebin6

It's unclear what you mean here, but $20 4-packs are an improvement over bombers and 750s, right? Those hazy IPAs are being sold at a $6 bomber equivalent. I'll take that every day.

What I'm curious to know is the cost of making a hazy DIPA vs an imperial stout with coffee. Anyone have some knowledge in this area? It seems like people expect IPAs to be cheaper, so they are. Son of a Baptist can't be that much cheaper to make than Speedway, right?

Gemini6 likes this.
  39. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Savant (981) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I'm a big great divide fan,but they need to drastically decrease the price point on all their BA beers. The regular hibernation ale is $11 a six pack, but barrel age it and throw it in a bomber and its a $20 bottle. It doesn't cost that much more to barrel age typically, charge me 10-12 and I'd try it, but until then I'll just have to stick with the base beers.

skleice and Ricelikesbeer like this.
  40. SoCal_Matt

Beer Trader

I think part of the reason, for me at least, is that a $20 4-pack is pretty much the standard cost across the board. If you're in the market for a hazy IPA pretty much all of your options are about the same price. With everything in that category being essentially the same cost nothing really appears overpriced. Now, whether or not you think these hazy IPAs are overpriced as a general "style" is an entirely different argument. If you do like the beers, you just deal with the price as that is the standard cost of entry. In the case of Speedway though, if you're looking for a coffee stout there are plenty of cheaper options to be had, such as Even More Jesus that you mentioned above for half the cost.

ebin6 and Harrison8 like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe