Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

all grain in 5 gal mash tun?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by homebrewer88, Feb 25, 2012.

1. homebrewer88

I just purchased a 5 gal mash tun and a lot of people have been telling me that I cannot brew a 5 gal All Grain batch with it. Is this true? If not can anyone reccomend a good starter recipe?

2. VikeMan

Beer Trader

You certainly can brew 5 gallon batches of low to mid gravity beer in a 5 gallon mash tun. Try the Can I Mash It? calculator at this page...

http://rackers.org/calcs.shtml/

meatballj626j and leedorham like this.
  3. homebrewer88

Awesome thanks

4. Homebrew42

Whoever told you that is wrong, but brewing 5 gallon batches with a 5 gallon tun will limit you to a gravity of about 1.070, if you want somehing higher than that you'll either need to brew a smaller batch, suppliment with some extract, or get a bigger tun.

5. bwiechmann

I have a 5 gallon tun and brew 3 gallon batches typically. 5 gallons of one beer is too much to have on hand for my situation. When I want to brew a bigger beer I just reduce the batch size, but even with a 2.5 gallon batch you can brew a RIS that hits 1.120 OG with a little room to spare if you wanted to.

HerbMeowing likes this.
  6. mnstorm99

1.070 is really pushing it...but with a thick mash, double sparge and good efficiency...yes it feasible.

7. leedorham

Or you could fly sparge, as long as you have a couple inches of room at the top.

8. Homebrew42

13 lbs of grain mashed at 1.25 qts/lb will fill a 5 gallon tun right to the top, but it's doable, and at an efficiency of 75% will yield a 5 gallon batch with an OG of about 1.070. Not totally unreasonable.

9. mnstorm99

75% efficiency took me quite some time to reach, so maybe I am basing it off of that
    Not completely unreasonable, but for years (before getting my own mill) I was working with about 65% efficiency. 65% seems to be the norm around my homebrew club as well...which they can't understand how I am getting 73-75%. 65% gives me about 1.062 OG, not to mention some malts like Golden Promise will have less potential sugar extraction.

Not really disagreeing with you, I am just trying to look at it in a different light.

10. mnstorm99

I don't know much about fly sparging, but doesn't the fly manifold take up space as well?

11. leedorham

If it were a false bottom, yes. Not a whole lot though. The popular plastic ones for the orange round coolers can't take up much more than a pint.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe