Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Allagash Coolship in MA?

Discussion in 'New England' started by bostonbeans, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Apr 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Anyone know if any of the Coolships will make their way down to MA?

Thanks!

2. Archemedies

Archemedies Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

They are brewery only.

beerinmaine likes this.
  3. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Jun 20, 2009 Maine
    Subscriber

What he said. Brewery only, with no plans to change that. A few hundred (or even a thousand) bottles is just too little to distribute.

4. bostonbeans

bostonbeans Apr 19, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

well that answers it... thanks guys

5. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Oct 28, 2011 Maine

Only when people go up to Portland to get them, which is quite a few. I cant remember the last time I went to Allagash and there wasnt atleast 1 car from Mass.

6. Archemedies

Archemedies Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

I drove up once from Mass. I realized it was cheaper if I sent a box with money that covered the cost, and shipping, as well as generous tip up to my friend who lives 10 minutes away. Box always get to his house before 9am, and I get it back the next day.

7. InfinityonTrial

InfinityonTrial Mar 31, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

They still have Resurgam or did they finally sell out?

8. mclaughlindw4

mclaughlindw4 Jul 2, 2009 Maine

you can possilbly get the fv13 soon.

9. beerinmaine

Subscriber

Not Coolship, but yes, going to distro soon.

10. mclaughlindw4

I don't know why this just reminded me. If anyone has watched or will watch Anthony Bourdain's Layover show. The episode where he is in Atlanta, they keep shooting at this beer bar and there are clearly a bunch of allagash bottles in the background. They look like one-offs (the little bottles). I just got excited because my hawk eyes noticed it. There is really only one shot where you can get a good look at them but I still couldn't tell what they were.

11. mathematizer

mathematizer Aug 3, 2006 Maine

There were two cases visible last Saturday... You can call and ask, they'll tell you.

12. Seanniek91

Seanniek91 Jul 1, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Not cooship, but It's 100% spontaneously fermented.

13. geocool

geocool Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

If you have any evidence that this is true could you please post it?

14. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

15. Seanniek91

Beer Trader

It's a base beer thats been fermented with wild yeast and bacteria. How is it not true?

16. woosterbill

woosterbill Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

All spontaneously fermented beers contain wild yeast and bacteria, but not all beers fermented with wild yeast and bacteria are spontaneously fermented. Square/rectangle sort of thing.

This beer appears to have been intentionally inoculated with a chosen blend of wild yeast and bacteria strains, rather than picking them up spontaneously in a koelscip. If this beer were actually spontaneously fermented, I'm sure Allagash would have mentioned that in their description.

Knifestyles likes this.
  17. Seanniek91

Beer Trader

Allright thank you for clarifying for me without going all hollier than thou on me.

18. woosterbill

Beer Trader

No problem. It's a common misconception, since the term "wild" gets applied to so many beers these days that are anything but. Everybody these days seems to be throwing lab-isolated strains of Brett into beers and labeling them "wild," when only a very select few breweries are creating beer via genuine spontaneous fermentation.

It's the difference between Allagash's Coolship line and beers like Confluence and Interlude, or between Russian River's spontaneously fermented Beatification and their other cultured sours like Temptation, Supplication, etc.

codasnap52 likes this.
  19. geocool

Furthermore,
    This implies to me that the base beer was already fermented with a primary Sach strain before entering the foudre and meeting the wild yeast and bacteria. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's how the Jolly Pumpkin beers are made and they're excellent.

We are still holier than thou, though. :)

20. Seanniek91

Beer Trader

Thou though? Thanks bro. You'll go in my cannon of demi gods.

geocool likes this.
  21. geocool

I don't have a problem with this. If a tiger is born and raised in captivity, it's still a wild animal. It takes many many generations for it to evolve and become a tabby cat before we can say it's domesticated.

22. woosterbill

Beer Trader

I too am generally ok with calling an isolated strain of Brettanomyces a "wild" yeast, but I think it starts to verge on misinformation when a beer fermented with a lab strain gets called a "wild ale." This implies that the beer's fermentation was left to the course of nature when, clearly, it was not.

To continue with your quite apt wild animal analogy, bringing up a wild animal in captivity doesn't make the animal non-wild, but neither does it make its new captive habitat wilderness.

23. mclaughlindw4

24. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Not to confuse this conversation but Allagash's house brett strain was isolated from the area surrounding their brewery. Maybe you knew that. It has the spirit of spontaneity by fermenting with the region's wild yeast.

25. woosterbill

Beer Trader

Very cool, I actually didn't know that. I knew that New Glarus did something similar for their R&D "Gueuze", although I think in that case Dan threw in more microflora than just Brett. Anyhow, I still think it's fair to maintain a distinction between an inoculated beer and a spontaneous one, and that the popularization of the "wild" terminology has made this distinction confusing for many.

First world problems, I know. Cheers!

26. kinopio

kinopio Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Had FV-13 on tap at Vee Vee over the weekend and really liked it. Glad they are distributing bottles.

27. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I know the first gueuze was spontaneously fermented next to a barn or something. It was blended with a little bit of a normally fermented sour that didnt turn out so well. That story could possibly be flipped because I dont remember so well.

28. beerinmaine

Subscriber

FV13: tomorrow.

29. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Question answered; releases are currently brewery only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe