Release Allagash: Pilsner with Brettanomyces

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,519) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

https://www.allagash.com/blog/pilsner-with-brettanomyces-new-from-allagash/

pinyin, hopsputin, Squire and 2 others like this.
  2. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (318) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Beer Trader

Interesting.. looks like they coferment with lager yeast and Brett. Amazed the Brett does anything at those temps.

Wilderness made a Pilsner last year or the year before that was bottle conditioned with Brett that I thought was really cool.

I’ve defintley comboed a small amount of a Brett beer with a Pilsner I had on tap. Tastes awesome.

dshatel likes this.
  3. thuey

thuey Aspirant (279) Nov 13, 2015 California

Hope they bottle that at some point. I'd love to try!

pinyin and ESHBG like this.
  4. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,620) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Boulevard did an imperial pils with brett earlier this year. Had it on tap, so didn't get a chance to review it. Thought it was pretty solid, not much funk on the palate, nose was interesting and was a tad bit dryer. I don't think it ever saw a bottle.

5. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,292) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

I'll be all over this if they ever bottle it...

6. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (579) Dec 12, 2014 California

Maybe it's good, but sounds an awful combination

beergoot, Phoodcritic, Ranbot and 2 others like this.
  7. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,183) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

*Cedric the Entertainer voice*

Oh hell nah......

TonyLema1, eppCOS and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  8. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (953) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Agreed.

Phenolic pilsner? No thanks.

9. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,060) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Much as I like Allagash beers, this one sounds like a trainwreck. I can't imagine the Pilsner character will survive alongside the Brett. JMO.

10. MacCherry

MacCherry Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

I made a kõlsch last summer that, due to my sloppy technique, introduced me to the wild brett that evidently lives in my area. Surprised the heck out of me after primary fermentation: i almost pitched the whole batch. But the bullet, added a little honey, and bottle fermented for two weeks. Boy am I glad I did. Terrific, bright, flavorful, and refreshing. Best summer beer I ever made. I'll try to reproduce it next year with a culture Brett.

beergoot likes this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Usually I'm an Allagash fanboy, but this is an exception. Reason? Although it might be a delicious beer, this is not a pilsner. It's a brett beer. You can't have both in one beer.

TongoRad likes this.
  12. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Skip the kolsch bit and just do a 100% brett beer. Much easier that way.

13. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,380) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

I don't think it'll be a train wreck; and it's very probably a tasty beer. But I'm also sceptical that it'll be enough of a Pilsner to warrant the description.

Fwiw, if it's the same culture that's in Little Brett, it's going to be more floral/fruity than funky, and pretty delicate to boot.

LeRose, Ranbot and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  14. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,060) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

So, they would have been better off calling it a Kölsch? :grin:

Prince_Casual and TongoRad like this.
  15. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Their house brett culture, a B. bruxellensis strain affectionately called Brett Michaels, is a big ester former, but if you give it enough time, those esters will fade and reveal some significant phenols.

TongoRad likes this.
  16. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,380) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

Hah! Good one!

17. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (5,520) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

It certainly sounds a bit odd, but since it's Allagash, I'm sure it'll come out great.

18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,571) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

From the linked article:

“We dual ferment Pilsner with Brettanomyces with our house Brettanomyces yeast strain, as well as a Bohemian lager strain.”

And:

“Normally, we ferment our beers at around 65-70 degrees. For this beer, we ferment between 50-55, and then “lager” it after that.”

I have brewed with Brett a few times – always a co-pitch with a Belgian ale yeast strain and fermented warm (> 70 degrees F). I have no experience with how a Brett yeast strain will express flavors when fermented cool (i.e., 50-55 degrees F in this case).

Has anybody out there fermented a beer that was co-pitched with Brett and a beer yeast strain and more importantly fermented cool (50ish degrees F). Did the Brett provide much in terms of Brett associated flavors (e.g., phenolics) when fermented in those cool conditions?

Cheers!

beergoot and LeRose like this.
  19. wasatchback

Beer Trader

Why not?

Also about the earlier comment in regards to phenolics.. their Brett strain is a total fruit bomb. Have you had Little Brett? It tastes and smells like sweet tarts. I doubt there’s any perceivable phenolics in this beer. I’ve used their Brett strain and it’s awesome, incredibly fruity. Beers I made with it are on my just now starting to show any signs of funk and they’ve been on bottles for 4 months, and in fermenters for three months before that. The fact that they “found” that strain in their brewery is amazing. Also the fact that it’s just available on tap and lost likely kept cold it would never develop any phenols over time.

LeRose likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,571) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

How did you use that Brett strain? Did you use it as a co-pitch with a beer yeast strain? If so, what was your primary fermentation temperature?

Cheers!

21. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

It's a B. brux. strain, which means that although it's a big ester producer, it is definitely POF+.

It's interesting, yes, but I wouldn't say that it's amazing. There's brett everywhere, especially brux and anomalus species, as they have a teleomorph/sporulating form (Dekkera).

Although ester hydrolysis is sped up with increased temperatures, esters will still hydrolyze at refrigerator temperatures. Much more slowly, but they definitely will. The phenols are always there, the esters simply obscure them, so when the esters start to fade the phenols become a more prominent aspect of the beer. It's only a matter of time.

22. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

They bottle Confluence, Interlude, Midnight Brett, and Tiarna with it.

I'd be interested in these answers as well.

FWIW, brett sp. do not need sacch. sp. to produce phenols and as long as fermentation temperatures are around 70F, that strain of B. brux will produce a lot of esters.

23. wasatchback

Beer Trader

Their Brett strain is available from a yeast supplier... they don’t say it’s specifically theirs but if you follow the crumbs...

If three month old bottles of Little Brett don’t display any perceivable phenols then this beer only available on tap at select accounts won’t ever display any either.

24. Amendm

Amendm Aspirant (210) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island

I would try this. I looked at the Allagash locator, Pilsner with Brett is not mentioned yet.
    I might have to break cover and check out a bar for this one, Mass. more likely than R.I.

25. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Please see the BJCP guidelines to find out why an ester forward pilsner is not appropriate.

Is that a good enough source, powers that be?

26. wasatchback

Beer Trader

??? Who cares that it’s not appropriate. I don’t think anyone here would ever be under the assumption that it would be appropriate nor did Allagash when they made it. Do you only drink appropriate beers? The fact that you write it off simply on semantics is odd.

I will probably never get to try it but if I lived in the Northeast I would definitely seek it out. Sounds really interesting, might be weird, might be rad, might create interesting flavor profiles you’ve never experienced before. Props to Allagash for continuing to produce innovative products, especially for a brewery of their size.

66jzmstr and LeRose like this.
  27. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (676) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium Member

I'll keep my Pilsner separate from any Brett, thanks. I don't feel like infecting a perfectly good beer style. #GetOffMyLawn!

SveNss0N and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  28. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Nobody's writing off anything. Simple stated that it should not be called a pilsner, because it is not. Labels and names need to mean something.

29. SveNss0N

SveNss0N Disciple (333) Feb 16, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

30. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,143) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey

Although I’d try this out of curiosity, I’m thinking that when I drink a pilsner I do not want any of the flavors that I associate with Brett.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  31. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,112) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania

Victory made a Dry-Hopped Brett Pils as part of their Blackboard Series. I wasn't a fan, but I'd definitely give this one a try.

drtth likes this.
  32. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (337) Sep 19, 2013 New York

I wonder if this brett pilsner will be anything like Pizza Boy's Eternal Sunshine, which was an amazing, albeit expensive beer.

33. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,682) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina