Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Allergic to Random Beers (suddenly)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cantburp, Nov 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cantburp

cantburp Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2011 Washington

Anyone else have this happen to them?

A few months ago I was having a Sam Adams (I think a seasonal) from a bottle and my face and neck got red and itchy. Started coughing a bunch. Runny eyes, the whole deal. Then about a month later I had a Guinness draught in the bottle and same thing! I used to have Guiness all the time with no issue. I basically chalked it up to macro beers or a bottle conditioning process or something.

Then today a coworker brought me a homebrew Black IPA and it happened again. I've had all his other beers and this was not an issue. I'm stumped. Could it be a certain barley? Or yeast? Super weird. Any insight is appreciated.

2. hopbombz

hopbombz Initiate (156) Feb 2, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

When I first got into craft beer and started drinking IPAs (primarily) I would get red spots, almost reminiscent of a rash on my face and neck. My ears would sometimes get beet red too. I thought that I was possibly allergic or very sensitive to hops. Or even a certain strain of yeast, I wasn't very sure. This lasted for a few months.

Almost 3 years and countless IPAs later, I no longer get these spots. Perhaps, you should monitor and see which beers/styles tend to cause this reaction.

3. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,635) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Used to have this happen to me big time in the UK (88-93). Used to feel a little itchy & whip of my shirt & be pink all over. Mind you, you could smoke in the pubs then & that may have been an issue...

4. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,216) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

well you have a starting point. Go back to the home brewer and ask him what his grain bill was along with any other hops that were added. Could also be a reaction to something else you consumed and it reacted with the beer.

5. matcris

matcris Savant (968) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

If you remember exactly which beers gave you problems, I'd research them. See if there is a common link, yeast strain, wheat, etc...

6. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,248) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Your body can change over the years. I used to be deathly allergic to yellow jacket stings but they no longer affect me.

I'd suggest doing what the other posters already mentioned.And well...as long as you do not enter anaphylactic shock, keep drinking! :slight_smile:

7. GSS

GSS Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2015 China

I've had this happen with both beer and red wine every once on a long while. No coughing with me, but a slight difficulty in drawing deep breaths. Doesn't last long, hasn't happened often, and is never progressively worse.

That is the key.

If it happens again and the symptoms are worse, you will need to get it checked.

All the best. Cheers.

8. beergrrl

beergrrl Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2003 New Hampshire

There is a fining, alginex [sp?], that has been promoted as a vegan alternative to isinglass for clarification. This vegan fining contains sulfites, a known allergan.

Hops are heavily sprayed with all sorts of pesticides and fungicides, and modern cides don't rinse off in the rain, hence are
    present in your beer.

The weird chemicals that are used in yeast prop are not really documented, I've looked them up.

Any additive other than WHYM will almost certainly contain preservatives, which even in small does can provoke a reaction in some people.

Time for biodynamic beer?

9. Todd

Todd Founder (5,526) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

Seek professional medical advice.

Prince_Casual and donspublic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.