Almanac Heirloom Pumpkin BW 2014 Infection??

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KAP1356, Oct 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KAP1356

KAP1356 Crusader (713) Mar 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I just received 3 bottles of this yesterday. Cracked one open because I was so excited, and low and behold, it was infected. It was NOTHING like how it should have tasted or smelled (based off reviews and some Youtube reviews). I was seriously disappointed and am now wondering whether my other 2 bottles are infected as well.

Has anyone had this experience with this beer? Have all bottles been infected? It doesn't appear that anyone has mentioned this yet, so I'm holding out hope that my other 2 are not infected.
  2. Graviz

Graviz Initiate (157) Feb 26, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

What makes you feel it was infected? How did it taste or smell?
  3. matedog

matedog Initiate (58) Jan 25, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Had it on tap at Rare Barrel on Sunday. Tasted great.
  4. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (541) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

i hope not. i had 2 infected ones last year. bought a bunch this year to make up for it

opened 1 and it was fine. was hoping to cellar the others a while
    KevSal likes this.
  5. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,028) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Cracked open a 2014 couple weeks ago... no infection. Tasted great. That's unfortunate to hear. Did you try the other bottles?
  6. PeakedInHighSchool

PeakedInHighSchool Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I had one a couple weeks ago that was fine. Bummer, enjoyed it. I picked up mine in Denver right before GABF.
  7. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Zealot (554) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado

The bottle I drank last week was fine, definitely not infected. Why do you think your bottle was infected? If you could elaborate on off-flavors and signs that would be helpful. Also, are you certain you have 2014 bottles?
  8. MrDave

MrDave Devotee (466) Jan 23, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Forgive me for asking but someone has to - did you for whatever reason actually wind up with bottles of Dark Pumpkin Sour?
  9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,126) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Instead of coming on ba and declaring a beer infected why don't you discretely contact the brewery and ask them instead?
  10. _morandi_

_morandi_ Devotee (472) Jun 17, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Had one a few weeks ago while in CA, tasted awesome! Bought two more... you're making me nervous, hope nothing developed in the bottle. Can you elaborate on what made you think if was infected?
  11. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Zealot (514) Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

Or at the very least give some description of your experience other than "it didn't taste how it should." This shit's for the birds.
  12. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (541) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

yes, god forbid he start a thread about a beer on this site. maybe he already did contact the brewery..

personally i'm glad this was started. this issue came up last year. if it's happening again i would like to know about it
    cjoc83, smutty33, BWCampbell and 3 others like this.
  13. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Aspirant (286) Jan 13, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Had one the other night - purchased in NYC last week. Absolutely delicious and not infected. Not sure about Almanac's history of infection/bottle variation though, as NYC just started receiving bottles last month.
    Johnnyhitch likes this.
  14. ColForbinBC

ColForbinBC Poo-Bah (2,009) Sep 9, 2005 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

This was my initial assumption as well.
    kristougher likes this.
  15. kristougher

kristougher Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Had one last night, definitely not infected
  16. KAP1356

To answer everyone's questions:

1. It was overwhelmingly sour and had a very strong acidity to it - both in the nose and in the taste. There was a small presence of pumpkin in the background, but it was completely overshadowed by flavors of lactic funk. I knew there was an issue with it the second I opened and smelled from the bottle.

2. The bottle was labeled as the correct beer. Having never had the Dark Pumpkin Sour, I wouldn't be able to tell the color or body apart from the Heirloom Pumpkin BW, but I am 97% sure it was the correctly labeled beer.

3. I have already contacted the brewery and alerted them to the issue in the event that others might assert the same claim.
  17. rather

rather Aspirant (261) May 31, 2013 California

so it's most likely a mis labeled beer.
    do you not like sours?
    MrDave likes this.
  18. KAP1356

I don't mind sours at all, in fact, I'm quite fond of them.

However, the issue is that if I wanted to purchase a sour, I would have. Instead, I specifically purchased the HP BW and, if your theory is true, got something other than what I purchased.
    pjeagles and mikeburd1128 like this.
  19. beerhunter

beerhunter Initiate (181) Mar 3, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Had it last year, was great. As far as the color goes, the heirloom pumpkin is a dark amber and i've never had te dark pumpkin but googled it and it is a stout so it would be easy to tell the 2 apart.
  20. KAP1356

I figured it was more "stout" in color. Hence my thinking it was infected rather than mislabeled.
  21. Birdrinker

Birdrinker Aspirant (200) Mar 30, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Had a few over the past couple weeks...all of them tasted great!
  22. 64vdub

64vdub Aspirant (269) Feb 20, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Maybe you got a bottle from last year?
  23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,126) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Not mad about a thread being started about a beer. Outright calling an entire batch infected in a thread title and then declaring it again in the O.G. post after ONE bad botlle does grind my gears. Maybe it was a dirty bottle, possibly a poor seal or even a damaged seal. This website has a lot of people who don't seem to know what discretion is all about.
    @KAP1356 , I'll buy your infected bottle for fifty cents on the dollar. lol
  24. KAP1356

I wasn't calling an entire batch infected. I was merely asking whether it was, or whether anyone had heard if it was; hence the question instead of an outright accusation/declaration. Since I don't have regular access to this brewery, I was looking for insight and information from the BA community - NOT a way to state something was definitively infected. I already knew the entire batch was not at risk from the number of great reviews it has (which U.S. why I wanted to buy the beer so badly to begin with).
  25. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Meyvn (1,136) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Had one last night that tasted like it was in the very early stages of infection. All the flavors were somewhat muted, and on the very last sip it was tart, did not think it might be infected before I tasted the tartness, just thought it was terrible compared to last year's. Might have been something other than an infection, bad seal, whatever, in any case it tasted like a bad bottle to me. One other person I was with also got tartness (I mentioned it and they agreed, they didn't take a sip looking for it) and another person I was with didn't get any tartness from it.
    On a side note, I've had other beers in the early stages of an infection and usually it's tart on the first few sips, when it's under 55-60 degrees, not the last sip. As it warms up the tartness goes away, sometimes the flavors are no longer muted, sometimes they are. Just thought it was interesting I didn't get any tartness until the last sip. The tartness was very light, if that wasn't clear, so maybe my taste buds became used to the other flavors, making the tartness more apparent, no idea.
  26. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Aspirant (259) Feb 14, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

100% infected. I'm drinking it right now. The taste of Almanac sours are distinct. This beer should be avoided
    GregJ and whiskey like this.
  27. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Zealot (554) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado

I had another one last night and not even the slightest hint of sourness/infection, so no, not 100% infected at all.
    Johnnyhitch likes this.
  28. ThePaleRider

ThePaleRider Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2012 California

I also just had one the other night and there was no infection.
  29. KAP1356

I opened my second bottle the other night to see whether I would get lucky, and I experienced a similar situation to yours - as you describe above. While it wasn't quite as apparent and strong as my first bottle, it was clearly in the early stages if infection with muted flavors and a tart, sour taste dominating everything.

Hoping my 3rd bottle is a winner. I'm still holding out hope as others clearly have not had as much of an issue with it as I have.
  30. Sanderson

Sanderson Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2014 Washington
    Beer Trader

I bought a whole case :astonished:
  31. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Aspirant (259) Feb 14, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Sorry. I should have said that mine was 100% infected
  32. commanchetruck

commanchetruck Initiate (174) May 22, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Had a couple, all great.
  33. DHS1029

DHS1029 Aspirant (252) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I would have enjoyed that infection, sounds incredibly good. Also sounds like you got a bottle of Dark Pumpkin Sour that was labeled wrong, which is entirely possible since there are only 2 pumpkin beers that Almanac makes. Its quite possible that a bottle was mislabeled.
  34. sukwonee

sukwonee Crusader (740) Dec 13, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

had my bottle last week and it was not infected at all
  35. TWITA

TWITA Initiate (151) Feb 9, 2014 California

Had 13 and 14 last night, delish.
  36. dutesanch

dutesanch Devotee (407) Apr 22, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

So is this beer supposed to have a sour finish or not? The description doesn't seem to illustrate that. I had one last Friday that had a distinct sour finish with a decent amount of pumpkin,spice, but only mildly sweet. Didn't taste very "barleywine-esque" but I just attributed it to Alamanac being a brewery that makes mostly sours. Is it possible that the Dark pumkin sour was accidentally put into the wrong bottles during a period of time? Maybe the man at the switch doing a little too much sampling?

If a beer like a scotch ale or English brown has a very sour and acidic smell/taste does that mean its infected, skunked,or just too old?
  37. totalbangover

totalbangover Initiate (167) Jul 3, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I had Heirloom Pumpkin on draft 2 weeks ago and like the posters above was surprised by the sour finish. I figured though that almanac, making mostly sours, was just putting their spin on the style, and really it didn't taste horrible, just tart.

Last night I drank my first bottle and the sour notes were almost completely gone, maybe the slightest hint, but overall it tasted like a completely different beer, delicious and definitely better than the sour one I had on tap.

This sure seems like an infection issue to me... I find this more likely than Almanac not being able to keep their 2 pumpkin beers straight.
  38. _morandi_

_morandi_ Devotee (472) Jun 17, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Just cracked one with @kirkfrailey and @MichiganBeers on Saturday, and it was just as good as I remember it. No sour finish, no infection. Very tasty.
  39. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Crusader (703) Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Had one from the most recent bottling that tasted great, no sour at all. Hopefully the others do as well...
    aasher likes this.
  40. kirkfrailey

kirkfrailey Aspirant (285) Feb 25, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

yes, very good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.