Alpine Availablility in NC?

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Macsimus, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (185) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Has anyone seen or heard of when / where Alpine will arrive in NC?

I have heard about in several other states on the east coast already so I am wondering where
    it is for us. Thx!

2. McAndrew

McAndrew Disciple (386) Jun 12, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

What...that would be awesome

3. Macsimus

Trader

Yeah....since Green Flash merged / acquired them they will have the same distro as Green Flash beers.
    Alpine has been in NJ for about two months - some other NorthEast states too : ) Draft only to start seems
    to be the approach......

4. humuloner22

humuloner22 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 North Carolina

Awesome! I had a Nelson a while back and it was totally solid. But from what I hear the really good ones are even hard to find in California, so I don't have very high hopes at the moment, unfortunately. But, if this is true and they are in fact coming to NC that would add to our ever growing amazing distribution!

5. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (182) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

Yup, couple bars and shops are already serving Alpine here in Hampton Roads.

6. wedge

wedge Poo-Bah (3,460) Jan 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society

Not sure about NC yet, but I saw Duet and Hoppy Birthday on tap in Richmond last weekend.

7. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Crusader (740) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

So the draft stuff that these new states are getting is being brewed at Green Flash right? I've heard that it's not as good as the stuff still being brewed at Alpine. Would love to hear anyone's opinion on this that's had them, as I've never had anything from Alpine (not for lack of trying).

8. Macsimus

Trader

^^^ I have heard some of the same complaints but others have said it is only a lsight difference. I am sure they will work out the QC or recipe issues. Either way it is still a positive in my mind : )

CavemanRamblin likes this.
  9. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Oh yeah definitely a positive, trust me I want them here in whatever capacity possible. And I also agree that they'll eventually get the kinks worked out and make it all consistent. I was just curious to see the opinion of anyone who may have had both.

10. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,393) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

I guess Ill be the one with concrete news and a source. Alpine will be coming to NC, but its a ways out. Once Green Flash builds that VA facility and dials in their own recipes on that system, theyll start testing out Alpine beers on the system. Once they dial those in, well start seeing them here. The facility will be open this summer on a perfect day, but most likely fall. That puts the arrival of Alpine somewhere around the Holidays. All of this came from the high ups at Harris (which distributes GF here in Durham).

manaox2, bushycook, bdswan and 2 others like this.
  11. samtallica

samtallica Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2010 North Carolina

It's missing a crucial ingredient. Rarity.

I haven't had the Alpine stuff brewed at Green Flash, but I did get a chance to try most of the hoppy beers a few years ago when I was trading (I had an awesome trading partner in San Diego.) Based on what I've had from them, I can't wait to start seeing their beers here, no matter where they're brewed.

Macsimus likes this.
  12. Macsimus

Trader

Is this for bottles ONLY or draft too?

Given that several states on the east coast including Virginia are currently getting kegs and enjoying Alpine beers it
    would be disappointing for NC to have to wait another 8+ months for it.

13. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,393) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

I dont know, honestly. Im just parroting what my rep told me. I can see VA getting it, thats the new state for GF.

14. davet100

davet100 Aspirant (238) Aug 9, 2013 Virginia

Anyone heard any developments of alpine showing up in nc? I heard they were hitting national distribution this fall but still eagerly anticipating their arrival.

15. marine1975

marine1975 Disciple (395) Apr 27, 2009 North Carolina
    Trader

I'm hearing around the third week of November! Can't wait!

16. GreenFlashSoutheast

GreenFlashSoutheast Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2014 North Carolina

Just left the brewery today, I watched Pure Hoppiness go from the bottling line directly onto the trucks heading to NC. Will be available the week of 11/16 in 6pack 12oz and draught along with 22oz and draught of Duet, Hoppy Birthday, and Nelson across the state.

It's finally happening, NC hopheads can rejoice.

marine1975 likes this.
  17. Jamato14

Jamato14 Devotee (419) Aug 15, 2014 North Carolina

I drank a bottle of Green Flash brewed Hoppy Birthday last night… It wasn't that good. Something was definitely off. Now, I've never had an Alpine brewed Hoppy Birthday, but having had Duet and Exponential Hoppiness from Alpine before their merger this one was a bit of a letdown. I have no doubt Green Flash will tighten things up, but I'll probably refrain from buying any bottles once they hit NC for the time being.

18. marine1975

marine1975 Disciple (395) Apr 27, 2009 North Carolina
    Trader

From what I've heard Green Flash has been brewing Alpine beers for quite some time prior to the aqusition.

19. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Aspirant (233) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Looking forward to these being red hot sellers for 3 weeks, then settling into shelf aging.

rgordon likes this.
  20. samtallica

Just like all the other Green Flash stuff. And of course, their dating is so cryptic, you can't tell when anything was bottled.

lateralusbeer likes this.
  21. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Aspirant (233) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

And Boulevard, and Troeggs, and so many other countless breweries that make really great beers, but arrive to much fanfare only to crowd distributors' overloaded books and gather dusts on shelves. All these arrivals are always trumpeted, then two months later it's shelf turd city.

22. samtallica

Agreed, but at least Troegs has a decent dating system!

23. Sayson

Sayson Initiate (148) Apr 16, 2005 North Carolina

You guys bring up a great point about the importance of freshness. I find I buy fewer brands that I know turnover consistently at Beer Study like Dirt Wolf, Lil Sumpin Sumpin, & Pernicious. I rarely buy Green Flash b/c it's so hit or miss

24. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,585) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

It's in Pa and NY. What I've had is every bit as good as what's came out of Ca. Damn good beer.

marine1975 likes this.
  25. KRubes

KRubes Zealot (525) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Duet just went on tap at Beer Study. I assume other shops will soon follow.

Pure Hoppiness bottles too...

26. montman

montman Devotee (419) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Yep. The other 3 have been in SE VA for over a month and are sitting around now.

27. UNCJosh

UNCJosh Initiate (0) May 29, 2015 North Carolina

Sam's Quik Shop (Durham) just got Nelson and Pure Hoppiness in bottles.

28. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,389) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Still haven't seen any of these in the Triad and the distributor told Bestway there was a warehouse hold (DNS). Anyone know what is going on? I was hoping to grab a couple of these for Thanksgiving to share with family.

29. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Nelson is pretty damn good. Haven't had Pure Hoppiness yet.

30. offtheheezi

offtheheezi Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2011 North Carolina

Who's the distributor up there? RAJ?

31. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,389) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

RH Barringer

32. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Disciple (305) May 24, 2006 North Carolina

I personally enjoyed the Pure Hoppiness over the Nelson, but they are two entirely different hoppy beers

33. dailyminefield

dailyminefield Devotee (477) Jun 13, 2012 North Carolina

I'm pretty sure Nelson instantly became the best IPA you can buy off the shelf in NC (when you can find it).

34. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Definitely top 3 or 4 at the very least. I'd say that, the latest Jade, and fresh Pernicious are about neck and neck for best IPA below 8% available for me right now.

35. dailyminefield

dailyminefield Devotee (477) Jun 13, 2012 North Carolina

Quit being a homer :wink:

But in all seriousness, Nelson dethroned Pernicious for me. I would say Grapefruit and regular Sculpin have to be in the discussion as well. The shelf IPA selection in NC has gotten really good over the past couple years.

CavemanRamblin likes this.
  36. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Ha i know you're joking about the homer comment, but for me it really does just come down to freshness when we're talking hoppy beers. Particularly when you're talking standard ipas. So the best NC ipas are obviously going to be up there on my list because I get them the freshest. But when stuff like Nelson, Hop Shovel, Lagunitas IPA's, etc. gets here just as fresh then yeah it's right there with the best we've got here.

dailyminefield likes this.
  37. KRubes

Society Trader

You convinced me to pick one up on the way home from work tonight. Nice work.

38. mcd432

mcd432 Initiate (79) Jul 23, 2015 North Carolina

Good luck finding it at this point. Glad I bought one of those cases of Pure Hoppiness in your prior pic. An outstanding IPA.

39. KRubes

Society Trader

I found it no problem. Saw more today.

40. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

My spot got more Nelson today actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.