Alpine brewing at Green Flash?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by stoner420, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoner420

stoner420 Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2006 California

Anyone know if Alpine has started brewing at Green Flash yet?

2. robL

robL Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 California

When I went down to Alpine a couple weeks ago, I was told that they had started brewing there at the beginning of the month.

queens1130 likes this.
  3. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,593) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

So.. does that mean I can get some Pure Hoppiness 2 blocks from my work?

*wishful thinking*

4. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

Which bars are a few blocks from your work?

stawn likes this.
  5. StoutSnob40

Society Trader

The Green Flash brewery.

6. HeavySpeedway

The answer to your question is "no".

smithj2154 likes this.
  7. StoutSnob40

Society Trader

Yeah.. Sorta figured..

8. stoner420

stoner420 Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2006 California

Awesome, I am looking forward to great things from this collaboration = more Alpine beer and I am curious to see if it will affect Green Flash's IPAs.

9. Lostmango

Lostmango Initiate (136) Jun 29, 2013 California

I am just hoping it means more alpine makes it to orange county.

10. HeavySpeedway

Just to recap (as people may have missed it the first time around), but Green Flash will not be bottling any of the Alpine they are brewing. You may see kegs make their way up to select OC establishments as a result of this (in fact, I'd bet on it), but this will not mean more bottles.

They are working with a Minnesota entity on more bottles/cans, but I've not heard any update on that.

queens1130 and domtronzero like this.
  11. robL

I was actually told different. That the Minnesota plan was taking too long and was too complicated; Hence Chuck Silva stepped in and offered his facilities to increase all production on Nelson, Duet, & PH in an effort to keep jobs and revenue in San Diego County. While I'm certain that you will not be able to get ANY Alpine from Green Flash, I can say that I've seen an increased amount of Nelson here in Los Angeles since the deal started. Whether or not that's coincidence or due to more beer I can't say however.

12. HeavySpeedway

No bottles or cans at Green Flash; kegs only:

http://www.westcoastersd.com/2013/07/18/green-flash-helps-alpine-expand-production/

13. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Poo-Bah (3,056) Oct 19, 2010 California
    Society Trader

14. robL

That could be true for sure. It's very likely that someone misspoke (or I misunderstood) and that the increase in Alpine bottle sightings here is a result of just generally having MORE of those beers being made overall. Either way...I'm drinking happy tonight!

15. stawn

stawn Initiate (164) Sep 16, 2008 California
    Trader

I hope Green Flash accidentally fills West Coast IPA bottles with Nelson.

16. HeavySpeedway

Elaborate.

17. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Poo-Bah (3,056) Oct 19, 2010 California
    Society Trader

The most recent update I heard through word of mouth this past week was that Alpine would be bottling and kegging Duet and Nelson produced at Green Flash. Haven't seen a press release from Alpine though.

18. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Feels like the Minnesota plan is dead in the water. It was wishful thinking that any of those cans would stay in the Midwest anyway.

Any MN/IA/WI IPA lovers who were pining for Alpine need to check out Toppling Goliath. Their stuff it truly on par with Alpine, and so much closer to home (and almost easier to find).

sacrelicio likes this.
  19. pcemkr

pcemkr Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2009 California

Why is it that all Alpine ventures are such cluster f_ck$?? It escapes me that Saint Archer can have such a marketing presence and Alpine struggles to have a marketing face. Silva needs to step in and show Pat the way, put ego aside, bring Alpine to the masses.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  20. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2005 California

How come chuck gets all the credit for EVERYTHING that GF does? He makes all the awesome beers, but the Hinkley's were the ones that made the deal with Alpine, and I'm sure they have waaay more to do with the building and branding of the brewery. It's a similar thing with St Archer, where the brewmaster (Yiga) didn't join until after the brewery was created by the people with the vision of that place. If you're wondering why things don't always go well with Alpine, I'm assuming it's because it's, more or less, a mom and pop brewery/restaurant instead of the corporations that the other two are.

Also, I think it's important to mention that the original press release about the GF-Alpine partnership said they had no timeline, with September being the earliest they could start brewing there. With that in mind, and considering that everything always seems to run behind schedule everywhere, I don't think the fact that they've yet to brew anything at GF shouldn't raise any eyebrows.

HoppySuds and DougOLis like this.
  21. Commanche

Commanche Initiate (60) May 8, 2008 California

Maybe Pat could answer that....

22. tyrsis

tyrsis Aspirant (229) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

O
    Comparing Saint Archer to Alpine is hilarious. Saint Archer may as we'll be a marketing company that sells beer on the side. Alpine is a brewery that does it's own thing, and that thing is MAKING TASTY BEER. It's not Pats duty to bring anything to the masses. He can do whatever the fuck he wants.

23. HeavySpeedway

I find it odd that people get so worked up over this.

SierraJosh likes this.
  24. pcemkr

pcemkr Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2009 California

The only thing I am comparing is the marketing side. I would really appreciate turning a page in westcoaster and seeing a full page ad on Alpine and their lineup. Unfortunately, that is impossible at this stage, since simple word of mouth creates a frenzy to the point of releases being posted day of. Create a way to increase volume 30 fold. I am confused on how this has been such a problem to do, demand is there.

I am in no way worked up over it, just adding conversation.

25. tyrsis

tyrsis Aspirant (229) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

Why would he waste money on ads if he is so popular that he can't even make the beer fast enough? You realize that makes no sense right?

26. HeavySpeedway

pcemkr seems to believe that the end game for all breweries is to increase production. Pat listens to a different muse.

27. bikeracer

bikeracer Initiate (58) Jun 25, 2012 California

For what it's worth, I spotted a couple boxes of tap handle labels that had been a little updated and cleaned up. Steve said they were for all the kegs going out to GF accounts. There was a box full of Duet labels, and Hoppy Birthday labels.

These of course were sitting under the Great and Chez labels. Steve was trolling hard.

28. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2010 Ohio

Yeah the new labels are sharp, particularly the HB one with the hop cake.

29. bikeracer

bikeracer Initiate (58) Jun 25, 2012 California

I remember it chillin behind the bar for a while, and then reading an article from a local photographer. Hey 2, meet 2, lets put you two together.

http://news.naccaphoto.com/2013/05/hoppy-birthday.html

That's the photo they used for the labeling. Only safe to assume it'll be on the can labels. Whenever that happens. (don't really care as long as the pub/brewery exist in my hood)

RaulMondesi likes this.
  30. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California

I was chatting with steve about it wednesday, he made it sound as though GF would start around the end of the year, something to do with securing hop and grain contracts. He told me the same thing about the tap handles too.

31. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,192) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

Word. PseudoSue is on par with Nelson, even as an APA. Have a bottle of Sosus chilling now, am almost afraid to drink it.

32. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (952) Sep 4, 2010 California

What ever happened with this?

33. ClippersSD

ClippersSD Initiate (156) Jul 17, 2013 California
    Trader

Has anyone ever thought that Alpine keeps the lower production model so that there beer is highly sought after? Do you think if beers like Nelson and Duet were found on the shelf like a Green Flash West Coast IPA that they would lose some of its luster?

34. Xul

Xul Champion (817) May 18, 2008 California

Pat doesn't strike me as the type who would take that angle, mainly because that would imply that Pat gives any consideration to what the craft beer community at large thinks. If you've read his newsletters, it's quite clear that he has his own agenda, and hype, rarity, or what people say on messageboards never factor into that agenda.

Luster according to whom? Alpine's beers used to last on shelves (or in coolers) for a few days, rather than sell out as soon as they arrived, and that didn't stop anyone from appreciating the hell out of them.

35. riko

riko Initiate (118) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I guess you never read the investment opportunity packet he put out in 2012. It specifically talks about using scarcity to drive demand...

pmarlowe and Xul like this.
  36. JohnCassillo

JohnCassillo Zealot (501) Mar 29, 2013 California

The above conversations do bring up the constant question of "does hard-to-find equal good?" Just because a beer's nowhere to be found doesn't make it amazing. Alpine's beers are fantastic. But they would be if there were twice as much available to consumers. Good beer is good beer, no matter how popular or how many barrels are produced. That said, if there's a demand on your beer and you're not meeting it, it's understandable yet frustrating for consumers. Alpine's not the only one that falls into this category either. Can say the same about Craftsman.

37. Xul

Xul Champion (817) May 18, 2008 California

Never read it, although now I'm curious what else it said. Was there anything in there about releasing consecutive batches of infected barrel aged beers as a way of maintaining profitability?

vurt and SpecialAgentDaleCooper like this.
  38. HeavySpeedway

If you talk Pat and not Shawn, you be misdirected.

39. MiScusi

MiScusi Meyvn (1,030) Feb 12, 2005 California

Gotta agree, this board has become basically unreadable with all the threads of people wondering where they can get Craftsman, or mad that they won't increase brewing capacity. I kidd. :wink:

pinkgrenade likes this.
  40. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 California

I'm so damn tired about reading about Alpine!! So much so that I will be heading to San Diego either at the end of this month, or early April when my grandson decides to make an appearance outside my daughters womb. I shall have to make the trek and experience it. I think I'll be able to somehow fit it in my schedule without ticking off the wife. If it becomes an issue, then next visit. I'll probably hit SD a few times this year with the new arrival. My luck will be that the best day is a day they are closed, but will check online before making the drive. If they are closed, Societe will work instead, they were out of Pupil last time I went, still haven't had it...sigh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.