Site "also like" feature

Discussion in 'Support & Suggestions' started by The-Jolly-Imbiber, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Jolly-Imbiber

The-Jolly-Imbiber Initiate (189) Aug 20, 2013 Antarctica

(I tried to do a search for any existing threads, but didn't find anything, so I apologize if this has been discussed and answered already...)

How about a site feature that shows "people who like this beer also like ... (list of other beers)"? Like what is seen on book-selling websites, and such.

AwesomeSquad and KS1297 like this.
  2. emannths

emannths Initiate (187) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Couple thoughts...

Those algorithms are complicated and expensive. Netflix offered a prize of $1,000,000 to anyone that could improve theirs!

Odds are that a simple algorithm is going to tell you what you might expect: other beers from that brewery, and other well-rated beers in that style. Sort of like how the most accurate weather prediction is "same as yesterday." If you're looking for detail like "here's another hoppy porter," the BA data simply isn't refined enough to offer that I suspect.

I mean, we don't even have access to the pre-crash site. I don't think there's man-hours (or expertise) available for this sort of project.

3. The-Jolly-Imbiber

@emannths: Thanks for your reply.

I understand that they can be complicated to do right, but I think it should still be attempted. If the source code of the site could be made available (to me only, if not public), I'd be willing to give it a go. If not the all the code, I could probably make do with just the database schema alone.

> Odds are that a simple algorithm is going to tell you what you might expect: other beers from that brewery, and other well-rated beers in that style.

In some cases, yes, perhaps so, but I think it would still be useful in some other cases. Some beers have wide variance in rating, so there are _some_ people that actually like that beer, even though there are many others that don't. In such cases, an "also like" feature would be useful.

4. emannths

emannths Initiate (187) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

The Bros have time and time again refused offers of help like this. Expecting a) access to backend data or structures or b) offers of help to be accepted is unrealistic.

If you want to give it a shot, do so with some dummy data. You know the inputs already--just code it up and pitch it.

5. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Devotee (479) Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

Just out of curiosity, what beer do you have access to in Antarctica?

kuhndog and pjs234 like this.
  6. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

Doesn't this functionality already exist? I just looked up Three Floyds - Dark Lord and on the right hand side there are a list of 'Other Examples' of the style. Is that not enough?

7. The-Jolly-Imbiber

> on the right hand side there are a list of 'Other Examples' of the style. Is that not enough?

It partially addresses the need, but not exactly, I think.

> If you want to give it a shot, do so with some dummy data. You know the inputs already--just code it up and pitch it.

I will try to come up with some pseudocode or formulae.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Ice cold ones.

9. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,195) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

If it's anything like the version on Untappd it will contain nothing but borderline rarities and beers that have never and will never be available in my area.

BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

You like Lindenmans Cuvee Rene? Try Cantillon 50N4E!

11. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Very. Low. Priority. I see no need for this at all.

12. Todd

Todd Founder (5,427) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

A version of this idea is one of the many planned features that'll roll out once the site has been redesigned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.