Alvarado Street (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by mogulskier, Jan 1, 2020.

1. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (108) Feb 3, 2019 California

Has anyone tried Motor Oil no. 6? Seems like this was brewery only and very low yield, 80 cases only. This batch has peanut butter adjunct.

I didn't make it down to Salinas, but am curious how this batch turned out.

A favorite from last year, Eruption, is dropping tomorrow, so looking forward to that one.

Hope this is another outstanding year for ASB. What I am looking forward to most I think are Collab with Great Notion (Dank Shake), Wave Jammer, and the Collab with Reuben's (Imperial Style Juice). Curious to what new beers ASB comes up with in 2020. Maybe more West Coast style IPA's? Perhaps a Lager? ASB is one of my favorite breweries and I always appreciate when they try something new.

2. Swiveln

Swiveln Initiate (87) May 24, 2012 California
    Trader

I went down Saturday to pick up some cans. Cracked on open last night.

Homerun! Thicker than all the previous motor oils, good sweetness, but not overly sweet. Nailed the peanut butter cup flavor. I wish I had bought more!

3. Ma9573

Ma9573 Initiate (120) Feb 21, 2017 California

I too would love to see Dank Shake return, and some more stouts to get distro (think they only released two of the Motor Oils outside the brewery this year).

They've definitely been cranking out some really good West Coast IPAs lately, and I'd imagine they'll continue to do so.

mogulskier and BayAreaJoe like this.
  4. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (170) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

I have 1-5 of the motor oil series, all distro's, BUT I NEED NUMBER 6 bad! Peanut butter is my jam man, and now im sad.

Ma9573 likes this.
  5. bayareahustla

Trader

Ok I scored some motor oil 6. This comes off more like biscuik pancakes and butter more than a Reese’s to me. Either way, I love it!

fegelFatso and Ma9573 like this.
  6. Ma9573

Jealous!!!!!!

7. Ma9573

And I'm sad they didn't distribute this version. Anybody hear if it was a small batch, or if there was a problem with the yield and they had less than hoped for?

mogulskier likes this.
  8. bayareahustla

Trader

Must have been a small batch because it was even limited to 8 cans per person...

mogulskier likes this.
  9. mogulskier

Yeah I think so too; low yield. A friend knew I was on the lookout for this, and gifted 1 can of Motor Oil no. 6 to me. I am very thankful.

Have not tried it yet, but will enjoy this one next week.

Sad, because I have thoroughly enjoyed every motor oil release and they have always been distributed to retail accounts, except this one.

I don't like peanut butter, but the exclusivity of this has me chasing this down and ASB has never disappointed me in their motor oil series. My friend concurs and assures me it is worth it.

fegelFatso and Ma9573 like this.
  10. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (171) Feb 8, 2017 California

Raspberry didn't have distro in socal.

11. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,117) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Southgate liquors in San Jose claims to have it. Not sure if you’re close to there.

12. MontereyBayBeer

MontereyBayBeer Initiate (29) Mar 18, 2015 California

That was quick!

13. bayareahustla

Trader

I got people.....

fegelFatso likes this.
  14. Ma9573

Escape from Here is the best New hazy single IPA I've had from Alvarado in a few months. Loaner Jazzmaster was good too, but not in this level.

BayAreaJoe, mogulskier and lucius10 like this.
  15. BoltTosser

BoltTosser Initiate (53) Jul 25, 2017 California
    Trader

Just picked up Escape From Here, Loaner Jazzmaster, and First City here in Socal. Of the 3, First City was my favorite. I'm normally not even a big fan of WCIPAs, but goddamn that beer was good.

BayAreaJoe, Ma9573 and rhertan like this.
  16. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Savant (926) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Although I've enjoyed most of their recent hazies and find them all to be pretty solid, I think this week's release F40 is a step better. Pretty great hop combo of Mosaic/Idaho7 and they really nailed the aroma.

El_Guapo and Ma9573 like this.
  17. Ma9573

Yeah when I saw the hopb combo I know it would be good. Drinking one right now to celebrate the Niners win... Doesn't disappoint :grin:

El_Guapo and Brent212 like this.
  18. mogulskier

Finally, after a long wait had Motor Oil #6 last night; blame KBS Espresso which is tasting delicious right now.

This is straight up peanut butter and I get hints of chocolate, it is overpowered by peanut butter. Super thick, but (thankfully) not cloying, syrupy, or too sweet. It is just about perfect. Well done Alvarado Street. Just wish this would have made distro. Not this time I guess.

If you have had this one and praised it, I can certainly see why.

What a treat!

Ma9573 and jakecattleco like this.
  19. mogulskier

PS: A shout out to "escape from here".

Jazzmaster was good, but as Ma9573 said, this was on a different level. Only got a 4-pack, but thoroughly enjoyed all 4 cans.

Ma9573 and lucius10 like this.
  20. Ma9573

The new Party Fitness is really good too. The hop combo send to be a little focused on Cashmere to my novice taste buds since I want getting much Citra out of it, but it could be this new experimental hop as well. Great aroma, smooth with just a little bite, and very flavorful. 4.25 for me.

Oh and although it's a retread, Flight of the Condor was just as good as I remembered.

21. Ice_Cream_And_IPAs

Ice_Cream_And_IPAs Savant (928) Jul 16, 2016 New York
    Trader

Finally opened my only can of #6. IMO, definitely the best in the Motor Oil series. Wish I could have gotten more while visiting CA, but neither of my old spots got this for sale. Was #6 limited distro?

22. BayAreaJoe

Trader

Yes, limited as in none - it was in-house only due to very small volume.

Ice_Cream_And_IPAs likes this.
  23. Whatislightbeer

Whatislightbeer Initiate (42) Sep 13, 2019

Anyone tried the Surf 'n Burps? Grabbed one recently and it is a collab for SF beer week. I thought it was amazing, really good west coast DIPA. Anyhow, cheers!

BayAreaJoe, lucius10 and Ma9573 like this.
  24. mogulskier

I got a couple cans of it, but thought it was only above average. Not outstanding.

However, BBBB (Biggies Blueberry Brunch Bonanza) is yet again amazing and just as good as ever. Snagged 8 cans of this and one of the best beers that ASB makes.

I haven't tried One Giant Leap yet however, so was looking to see if this one is worth it.

redeemer and Ma9573 like this.
  25. Whatislightbeer

Whatislightbeer Initiate (42) Sep 13, 2019

Gotcha! Yeah the BBBB is really good, I would definitely agree.

I got one can of Surf n Burps and also one can of One Giant Leap. Had the OGL last night and it was amazing too. I am biased on the OGL because a juicy TIPA is probably my favorite overall style. Anyhow, it was really good, a little different but amazing nonetheless.

26. mogulskier

Looking for some feedback on the ASB/BL Megaparsec collab that dropped this week. I don't like TIPA's all that much and was wondering if anyone has tried it. I am on the fence, because it has Galaxy hops in it which I do like.

27. Ma9573

I have been hesitant due to the high ABV, but it's one of their highest rated IPAs on untapped. I may grab a can this weekend.

28. BayAreaJoe

Trader

To me, It's ok, but a substantial step or two down from One Giant Leap. A lot of the spots I frequent that get ASB either received a very small allotment or none at all, so I wouldn't expect much to still be out and about. But again, if you picked up OGL, you're definitely not missing anything here.

29. Juncture

Juncture Initiate (30) Sep 19, 2018 California
    Trader

This release of Mt. Nelson has been very good compared to the few previous ones that they've had.

I've also noticed that their cans are starting to last longer in their taproom as opposed to 1-2 years ago.

thuey likes this.
  30. Ma9573

That's CM you're thinking of :stuck_out_tongue:

thuey and Juncture like this.
  31. Juncture

Juncture Initiate (30) Sep 19, 2018 California
    Trader

This is true. I was reading two threads at once.

Ma9573 and thuey like this.
  32. BayAreaJoe

Trader

Found some Surf 'n Burps along with One Giant Leap cans still around at Cask/Berkeley - I'm with you, this is really a terrific hop combo. One of the best new WCIPAs I've had in a while.

Ma9573 likes this.
  33. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Zealot (570) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Found Mai Tai at Whole Foods Oakland for 16.99/4pk.

ksheabutter, IQBlue, Ma9573 and 2 others like this.
  34. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,063) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

anyone grab that tree ledges ba stout, how’s that guy drinking?

their ig doesn’t report or not but is it completely sold out? i’m definitely looking for some

Ma9573 likes this.
  35. bret27

Trader

I recommend “Double Cone”. Canned on Valentine’s Day. I think it was fairly widely distributed locally. Definitely a nice high abv West coast style dipa.

Ma9573 and atomicpunk5151 like this.
  36. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Aspirant (226) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Was in Monterey and Salinas this past weekend. Wedding I went to had ASB Monterey Beer Lager. Had different ASB all around the area after that.

To bad I just missed the CNJ release today/Wed.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/B89fpaslvVC/

[​IMG]

Ma9573 likes this.
  37. bret27

Trader

If it was from Treehouse it would be called CNJJJJJJ

38. atomicpunk5151

Trader

This batch of CNJ was pretty great....

[​IMG]

also a newer Unfiltered WC Pale Ale....

[​IMG]

Ma9573 likes this.
  39. mogulskier

I'm still working on Wave Jammer and boy is it good.

Picked up a 4-pack of CNJ, and lucky I found some left, cause it was gone within hours. Will be enjoying it next week.

This weeks drop of Murkaholics sounds amazing too.

Still though, waiting patiently for the ASB/Reubens collab of International Style Juice. Last years batch was memorable.

40. atomicpunk5151

Trader

People in the IG comments are tagging the Workaholics guys.... Adam Devine, Anders and Blake...lol,,,

m34josh likes this.