American Barleywine Recipe Critique

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by pweis909, Sep 27, 2018.

1. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,755) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

To celebrate my birthday and 30 years since homebrewing my first batch, I want to brew an American Barleywine. First time ever. Thinking in the manner of Bigfoot and similar. Half-size batch. I'm wondering about recipe tweaks. I don't want to run to a homebrew shop (4 hrs round trip) but have some ingredients on hand for making adjustments.

• Should I bump up the crystal? I have on hand an extra 8 oz of the Briess 60L, about 4 oz of Muntons 60L. Also a pound of Muntons Caramalt (12L) on hand. T
    • Base malt blend? I'm happy with the targeted OG, so I don't think I want to boost overall base malts, but have enough of each on hand that I could go all 2row or all Maris if anyone felt that was going to be desirable, e.g., make it maltier with Maris.
    • Mash temp adjustment? Build body with higher temp?
    • Have considerable flexibility on hops, except for Chinook, if anyone thought it needed more. Middle additions, dry hops? If the IBU / GU seems a little out of balance, I have to say that I am have never found the steeping IBUs to deliver satisfying bitterness and tend to discount them in these calculations. Steeping temp is 180F.
    • Yeast Pitch? I have 3 packs of US05 on hand. I was thinking for a half batch, one would be sufficient, but then I started looking at the Brewer's Friend Calculator, that reported a wide range in billions of cells per gram of dry yeast. At the low end, I would need three packs. At the high end, one. Maybe just split the difference and bump to two packs?

Recipe: Guessqui-centennial (American Barleywine)
    (to celebrate birthdays, years in homebrewing, and I forget how many batches of beer, but we'll conservatively call it 150ish)

Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.092 SG
    Estimated Color: 13.4 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 108.7 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 78.0 %

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name % Est IBU
    5 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) 47.3 %
    5 lbs Maris Otter Malt (Muntons) (3.0 SRM) 47.3 %
    8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 4.7 %
    1.0 oz Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) 0.6 %
    (just for color as I like those amber wavelengths)

1.00 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [13.30 %] Boil 60 min 64.8 IBUs
    0.33 oz Chinook [11.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min 19.1 IBUs
    1.50 oz Cascade [6.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min 7.5 IBUs
    1.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min 10.9 IBUs
    0.67 oz Chinook [11.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min 6.4 IBUs
    1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 m Yeast

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
    Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 9.0 oz

Saccharification Add 20.09 qt of water at 162 F to bring to 152 F, hold for 60 min

Lukass, telejunkie and frozyn like this.
  2. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (393) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

I like it! 2 pkts yeast and no worries mash temp at 152 looks good as well.
    Have fun

3. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (120) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

I would go straight mo and no crystal. But It Looks great to me

SABERG, MrOH and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  4. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Grain bill looks good to me.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  5. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (869) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I agree. If he wants to adjust his color he can do it with Carafa. Then again, as is, this beer looks solid.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  6. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

One packet of dry yeast is PLENTY for 3 gallons of beer.

7. GormBrewhouse

Big beers I always go big on yeast, but to each there own,

8. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I know a lot of people do this, but they really don't need to. Especially with dry yeast. That said, if it helps you to sleep better at night, then have at it, but yeast replicate to volume, with sugar content of solution really not factoring in at all in the VAST majority of situations.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  9. GormBrewhouse

ok, but I like sleeping better:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

10. MrOH

MrOH Champion (848) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Personally, I'd throw in some dry hops. I know you're probably going to age most of the batch, but it'll add an extra bit of fun to the first few bottles that are cracked to see how carbonation is coming along.

pweis909 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  11. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Aspirant (291) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia

12. pweis909

Premium

No accident. When I thought about an anniversary beer, Bigfoot came to mind so I looked at that recipe and others, and happened to have some compatible ingredients. I’ve only ever seen the beer in my area a couple summers back, and it was selling at a discount. Maybe I had the 2015 in 2016 or so. It was delicious.

13. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (99) Jan 10, 2018 California

Hey J-Man this has always fascinated me. Sorry to go off the OP but I just pitched 2 pks of 05 into 6 gals of a 1070ish DIPA. It’s probably overkill by I was curious on how fermentation would go. Well at 64f it was a quick and lack luster . Small krausen and the dry hops fell out quick. Cold crashing now. To be continued.

So to piggyback off @pweis909 (congrats man) this recipe sounds awesome. Literally read my mind, I’ve got a 1/2 lbs of Cenntenial that I was conjuring up for a Barleywine. Very curious as well on the pitch with dry yeast also. But doubled.

14. pweis909

Premium

Thanks, all. I'm brewing it today, with the original recipe, plus @MrOH's dry hop idea, only maybe I'll keg rather than bottle this batch. @NorCalKid 's post^^ plus the beer name itself helped select the hop I'll use in the dry addition. 2.5 oz.

I did consider the all Maris switch and dropping the crystal suggested by @chavinparty and @EvenMoreJesus. I decided I'm only going to know for sure if I brew it both ways. So, I guess I'm already planning my second barleywine.

15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Won't cell walls rupture trying to reach stasis if sugar content is too high or cell count is too low?

16. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Although osmotic shock is certainly a thing, in the specific gravities that we see in "normal" brewing environments the yeast shouldn't be affected all that much.

Massively technical article here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC120784/

If you scroll down to the end, the section entitled, "Time Course of Events in Adaptation to Hyperosmotic Shock" will give you the gist.

FWIW, cells in a hyperosmotic environment won't swell and burst, but will do the opposite until compensatory regulatory mechanisms kick in.

More, again very technical, reading on this, IMO, very interesting subject:

http://www.microbiologyresearch.org...est&checksum=A5DBA443FE1FC4867B5F4D77C3FC20DD

https://academic.oup.com/femsyr/article/2/3/251/562218

SFACRKnight likes this.
  17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Totally had it backwards. Cell walls blow up during osmosis when water is taken into the cell walls. Oops

18. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,386) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

FWIW, Sierra uses C60 from Simpsons.

EvenMoreJesus and pweis909 like this.
  19. pweis909

Premium

Oh well, I used the Briess. I did have some Muntons C60 but decided to save it for a mild.

20. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (118) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Have you seen this. Pretty crazy.

21. pweis909

Premium

That's pretty fun. What's going on in the fermentation around the 18 second mark and again at the 26 second mark? The krausen collapses right before going gangbusters. I wasn't expecting that. Expected to see a single rise and fall.

22. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,386) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

@pweis909
    I first saw that at NHC 2009, as part of Ken Grossman's Keynote speach. He explained that they pump in multiple brews into the fermenters to fill them. They aerate the beer, and the yeast have some growth lag before the fermentation takes off in the full fermenters.

@BillManley was given credit by Ken for the video, and might correct

23. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (219) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

True story. The second jumpstart was after the aeration and the yeast just explodes.

24. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (730) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

HerbMeowing and minderbender like this.
  25. pweis909

Premium

Didn't even notice this typo. Think of how many newbie brewers decide they want to make a big barleywine for their first all-grain batch.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  26. pweis909

Premium

It's still in the primary fermenter but fermentation appears to be complete. Pulled a sample for the hydrometer. Clarity is murky (lots of trub got transferred to the primary), so I'll need to see if I can speed that along with some gelatin. Went from 1.089 to 1.017, so estimated ABV 9.7%. The hydrometer sample was tasty. Hops are very bright. Alcohol is noticeable. Although uncarbonated, it does remind me of the Bigfoot I drank a few years back (how's that for confirmation bias?). This will be a sipper, for sure.

frozyn, GreenKrusty101 and Prep8611 like this.
  27. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Aspirant (291) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia

add a measure of Makers Mark @bottlin'time for more of that sipper je ne sais quoi

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  28. pweis909

Premium

Pass. I appreciate that some like bourbon, but I don't have much of taste for it. Especially not with this, as it seems like it would run counter to the hop character.

MrOH likes this.
  29. MrOH

MrOH Champion (848) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

I agree! I like hoppy beers, and I like spirit barrel aged beers, but I've yet to really enjoy a hoppy beer that was aged in a spirit barrel.

Barrel aged English-style barleywines are pretty good (J.W. Lees' stuff is pretty awesome), but any barrel-aged American-style barleywine I've had was pretty gross until it had a few years on it.

30. GreenKrusty101

Threadjack: Getting ready to brew a Barleywine myself from a cake used for an Ordinary Bitter a week earlier. Question: Anyone used M-36 (Liberty Bell) for a Barleywine or know if it is equivalent to WLP-051/Wyeast 1272? I've used it once awhile back with good results, but never on something this big.

31. pweis909

Premium

Not for a barleywine, but in a wheat IPA. I had diacetyl issues. It seems I always have diacetyl issues with these related strains (BRY-97, too).

32. GreenKrusty101

I tend to rouse and ferment longer with flocculent strains...lets not forget 1968 also :slight_smile:

33. pweis909

Premium

Never had an issue with 1968, but I don't use it much. Still I never had an issue with any other ale strain, including the one time I used Ringwood.