Ancestry Brewing in Tualatin

Discussion in 'US - West' started by dphi, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dphi

dphi Initiate (110) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Just wanted to get the word out about Tualatin's only (and first?) brewery that's finally sort of open as of this week. Ancestry Brewing on Tualatin-Sherwood road has started doing tasters and growler fills between 4 and 7pm through Friday at their under construction pub. I went yesterday and tried everything (a Belgian blonde, ESB, brown, IRA, oatmeal stout, and 3 IPAs) and left with a growler of their "Piney IPA" (beers haven't been named yet so it's just generic descriptors for now.) Also tried the cherry imperial stout straight from the Woodford Reserve bourbon barrel it's been aging in.

Overall, I was pretty happy with the quality and the guys running the place seem to have a good idea of what they're doing on the brewing end, even if they're a bit ambitious on the business end.

I know a lot of you probably don't get down to Tualatin/Sherwood often so it's worth mentioning they're opening brewpubs in Sellwood and St. Johns in the near future. They've also teamed up with PDX Sliders to handle the food side of things.

More info here and on Facebook.

chikunwing likes this.
  2. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (319) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Two pubs and a tasting room to start? That's either a whole lot of confidence or a whole lot of stupidity. Hopefully it'll work out for them (that's me trying not to be cynical). I'll be heading up to PDX this weekend, so maybe I'll take the detour off I5 and see what this is all about.

3. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,277) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Platypus got a keg of IPA. Based on the taster I had, I'll be keeping an eye out for future beers. I ultimately went with another beer, but it made a good first impression.

kemoarps likes this.
  4. chikunwing

chikunwing Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2013 Oregon

I went out and tasted their beers and was pretty impressed as well. We have their "Citrus IPA" on right now. Also, PDX sliders is really good! It will be nice to be able to eat in a taproom with a beer, instead of jamming them into my face in a car wash parking lot.

5. dphi

Haha, I used to live down the street from that car wash in Sellwood but PDX Sliders came in right before I moved so I never got the chance to check them out.

6. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (319) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Guess I should've read the OP more carefully. Definitely not open today. At least I got to see more of lovely Tualatin?

7. crusian

crusian Crusader (787) May 14, 2010 Oregon

What's the news on their sellwood location?

8. crusian

crusian Crusader (787) May 14, 2010 Oregon

Stopped in right now. Triple ipa is pretty tasty. Piney is pretty good. English Porter smells spot on, tastes a but underwhelming after the nose, but solid. I'd put them in my top 10 breweries in the area.

9. dphi

I've gone a few more times after work these past few months. The food PDX Sliders serves up is quite tasty, between this and Killer Burger a few minutes away, I'll be adding on a few more pounds I think. Tried the English Mild last week and it was solid, good to see some traditional styles getting represented (they also have two ESBs). They should be releasing bottles of their BA cherry imperial stout in the near future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.