Another Averagely Perfect Brew?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Supergenious, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (367) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Looking back, it appears it’s been about a year since the last AP beer. I think it just might be time for another. What does everybody think? Who’s up for it? More importantly, are you up for it @VikeMan ?

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I don't really have the time to devote right now, but I'd be willing to start another one after April 5th. Maybe sooner, depending. In the meantime, maybe this thread could be used as a discussion for what styles people are interested in.

3. Mohican88

Mohican88 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Ohio

These are the styles that I came with that were previously done as AP brews. If I'm missing any, please chime in.

American IPA
    American Stout
    Saison
    Strong Bitter (ESB)

Thinking ahead, if we were start in mid-April this recipe would be ready to brew/drink in the late summer months, so my thoughts for a style would be cream ale, weissbier, or kolsch.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

NorthEast IPA was also done.

5. minderbender

minderbender Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2009 New York

I would second cream ale or kolsch. A Belgian would also be interesting (dubbel or quad would be my choice), but maybe there's not enough variables to play with there, I don't know.

Going way out there... maybe something Baltic? Unfortunately I doubt many of us can acquire the juniper for a proper kveik-fermented maltøl, but we could bake the mash (keptinis)... eh, there might not be enough collective knowledge/experience for it to be a good crowdsourced project.

Maybe schwarzbier or Baltic porter? Just throwing ideas out there. I guess a lot of people can't lager though.

crcostel likes this.
  6. crcostel

crcostel Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2006 Illinois

I agree - it should probably be an ale so more people can do it.

I vote (in no particular order)

Dubbel
    Wheat/Weiss
    English Porter

7. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (323) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I'd be down for a cream ale for the summer

8. minderbender

My only hesitation on cream ale is, how many variables are realistically in play? The style calls for 6-row and corn, I doubt many people are going to have more than one option for either (I mean we could do corn grits or something, but realistically it seems as though flaked corn is going to be the choice).

And the yeast is just going to be something that doesn't provide much character. The hops feel like a personal choice. And so what's left? Cream ale feels like something that's down to technique, not recipe so much.

But don't get me wrong, I would love to be proven wrong about this, because cream ale is something I've been wanting to brew for a while, and this would be a great way to come up with the recipe.

MrOH and Prep8611 like this.
  9. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (393) May 2, 2006 Utah

Perhaps a Blonde Ale would be similar enough to a Kölsch or Cream Ale, but with more possibilities for variation? Just a thought. Cheers!

Jesse14, jbakajust1 and Prep8611 like this.
  10. Prep8611

Ya blonde ale would be fine too. I'd like something that wouldn't have to be some flavor powerhouse. Can't do a lager as it excludes people that can't lager.

11. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,906) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Scottish Ale.
    Pros:
    • Not been done.
    • Wide range of gravity from 60 shilling to wee heavy. Vote could take us from session beer to heavyweight
    • Highly contrasting approaches discussed in the homebrewing community and debated as to authenticity. Could vote on that for a while
    • Wide range of potential grain ingredients, depending on approach taken.
    • Others?
    Cons:
    • Maybe doesn't strike a cord with the hop forward crowd?
    • Not lots of yeast choices.
    • Others?

magoo0903, minderbender and crcostel like this.
  12. Soneast

Soneast Champion (830) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

An Oktoberfest or marzen might be a good one to brew, assuming a time frame of it being ready to drink towards the end of September. Then again, the Averagely Perfect polls often take a couple months to complete, so that might not be ideal. Assuming an early April poll start and possibly ending around end of May would leave 3 months to brew/ferment and lager. Would be our first Averagely Perfect lager too. :slight_smile:

crcostel, Buck89 and pweis909 like this.
  13. pweis909

Society

There are enough brulosophers suggesting that can't and lager don't belong in the same sentence that I don't think we should automatically rule it out. Maybe we could even have someone with a homebrew club sponsor a comparison of several different traditional vs. non-traditional beers that we mail in.

14. Yalc

Yalc Initiate (116) Nov 5, 2011 Florida

I would love to see Kolsch just in time for summer.

Prep8611 likes this.
  15. pweis909

Society

My first cream ale experiment featured 6 row vs 2 row. Maybe Pils? A second is underway, yeast choice (US05vsK97). A third could be corn vs. rice. All malt? Optimal ratios? Fermentation temperatures? Gravities? Hop expression? Pre-prohibition vs modern.

minderbender likes this.
  16. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I'm interested in all of these, but personally I would like to see a Festbier/Marzen. Seems like there are enough variables to keep it interesting.

crcostel likes this.
  17. crcostel

No reason why we couldn't have a Marzen with lager and pseudo-lager methods. I'd prefer that over a cream ale that I wouldn't be terribly interested in drinking.

pweis909 likes this.
  18. csurowiec

csurowiec Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

I like dubbel for the next one.

19. scurvy311

scurvy311 Aspirant (246) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

How about a fruit beer with a unique truly crowd sourced malt, hops, and yeast bill? Decide on the fruit and craft a base beer to carry it, most of the to-style beers previously suggested have a pretty pre-established ballpark recipe.

GormBrewhouse and pweis909 like this.
  20. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (367) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I agree with @pweis909 . I think a Scottish ale could interesting. Another option that nobody has mentioned is a barley wine. I could also get on board with a Marzen. And for those not able to lager, @crcostel makes a good point about the pseudo lager marzen option. Lastly, a dubbel could be fun.
    I would vote against blonde ale, Kolsch, cream ale, or Hefeweizen just because I don’t know that they would provide enough voting options to make it interesting.

21. firstthenlast

firstthenlast Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Massachusetts

I triple a dubbel. Would be nice to see a trappist ale.

MrOH, pweis909 and crcostel like this.
  22. crcostel

Nicely done

firstthenlast and MrOH like this.
  23. Prep8611

I'd be okay with a dubbel.

firstthenlast, MrOH and pweis909 like this.
  24. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (490) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

25. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (69) May 18, 2017 England

Dubbel could definitely be fun, although I try not to have too many non-sessionable beers on the go at once, so I can't guarantee that I'd get one brewed to any specific schedule.

California Common might also be worth considering; it's another crushable lager-ish hybrid style but with a bit more wiggle room in the recipe than kolsch or cream ale.

firstthenlast and pweis909 like this.
  26. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,378) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

I'd be down for Dubbel or Brown Porter. Two of my favorite styles that I don't get around to brewing that often

pweis909 and crcostel like this.
  27. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (152) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Funny everyone is saying Dubbel and i just had one made at Tarboro Brewing in NC. I'm in for it.

firstthenlast and crcostel like this.
  28. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Aspirant (213) Jul 21, 2013 North Carolina

Maybe something sour like a Berliner or Gose.

minderbender and thebriansmaude like this.
  29. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

Dubbel. I'd like to brew one for consumption next winter, so the timing could be perfect.

30. Prep8611

But what if I'm impatient and want immediate results :wink:. How about hefeweizen?

crcostel likes this.
  31. Naugled

Naugled Defender (640) Sep 25, 2007 New York

I like the idea of a Pilsner or other Lager.

But, I also like the Dubbel or Brown Porter ideas

crcostel likes this.
  32. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (95) Dec 16, 2016 Canada (AB)
    Trader

seems like it might be appropriate to set up a poll for the style ?

33. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

I love hefeweizens, but that would be the shortest perfectly average poll series ever...

Poll #1 - ABV?
    Poll #2 - Wheat/Pilsner Ratio?
    Poll #3 - Which noble hop should we bitter with?
    Poll #4 - Which wheat yeast should we use?

Done.

firstthenlast likes this.
  34. Prep8611

Brown ale.

MrOH likes this.
  35. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,378) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Well, to be fair, there would also be polls on mash and fermentation regimens.

36. Prep8611

Brown ale could be interesting. It's an unheralded style that everyone claims they love. English vs American, brown malt vs biscuit vs victory, what type of chocolate malt, what yeast....
    I personally would want an English style with brown malt and ekg :slight_smile:

37. TheBeerery

TheBeerery Initiate (0) May 2, 2016 Minnesota
    Deactivated

I could give a "seminar" on Hefe, or start a new thread if people wanted.

keilerdunkel, frozyn and Gsulliv2 like this.
  38. Prep8611

I'll bite, start a new thread :slight_smile:

pweis909, frozyn and TheBeerery like this.
  39. minderbender

Do it. (New thread.)

pweis909, frozyn and TheBeerery like this.
  40. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (111) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

I would be down for a belgian style as long as it is not sour. Pale, dubble, Tripple, Quad, all work for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.