Another Brewdog publicity stunt

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by His_Royal_Hoppiness, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. His_Royal_Hoppiness

His_Royal_Hoppiness Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 England

reprob8 likes this.
  2. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

I like the letter. I think the ruling is ridiculous and the idea, that such a line would lead to anti-social behavior or the one which was posited before, that beers such as sink the bismarck, while a publicity stunt, lead to alcoholism is the height of absurdity.
    Are Brewdog over top with their marketing and publicity? Sure
    Do they make some good beers? Yes, imo.

I find the "Brewdog should spend more time on brewing beer..." argument a bit banal and platitudinous at this point.

Loganyoung, MarkyMOD, Theniz and 2 others like this.
  3. His_Royal_Hoppiness

The problem is that Brewdog paint a picture of themselves as the leaders of 'the Craft Beer Revolution' in the UK, yet for all their rhetoric, their range of beers remains, imo (and yes, this is probably does just come down to opinion), average at best. If you compare them to a brewery like the Kernel, which has a phenomenal range of different beers but zero publicity, the contradiction becomes even more apparent.

Setting aside their mediocre beers and high abv/ animal stuffing stunts, I just find their hyperbole fundamentally irritating:

"Their raison d’être is to provide a diversion for the true evils of this industry, perpetrated by the gigantic faceless brands that pay their wages. Blinkered by this soulless mission, they treat beer drinkers like brain dead zombies and vilify creativity and competition."

and

"I’m sure that makes Henry Ashworth cry a salty tear into his shatterproof tankard of Directors as he tries to enforce his futile and toothless little marketing code, but we couldn’t give a shit about that, either."

'They should spend more time' is a turn of phrase. But as long as Brewdog prioritize marketing over quality, the contradiction between bombast and product continues to be relevant.

MikeReserva likes this.
  4. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Pretentious? Well when many receive a pretentious communication they tend to respond in kind. When both founders of an award winning, successful brewery are under 30 it's not surprising that they haven't learned yet a more effective technique. So they'll probably continue brewing new beers they like and that some customers who pay the bills seem to enjoy.

5. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Thank you for promoting their "publicity stunt" (I had no knowledge of this until you posted it). Glad to see irony is not lost these days.

6. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (1,790) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

Why do people hate these guys? I just don't get it, I guess. The beers of theirs I've had weren't that great, they weren't bad, but I have to imagine for a continent where a lot of American craft beer is probably hard to procure it's nice to have a brewer (I'll throw Emilesse, Evil Twin, Nogne O, and Mikkeller out there as well) do "different" beers closer to home.

I saw people hating on BrewDogs (the show) too, and I didn't understand that either. I think if you asked them whether they made a "gimmicky" type of beer for every episode, I think they'd probably agree with you and laugh. Myself, I thought it was a pretty well thought out show. They have to straddle a line where they appease the part of their audience that knows their shit (which I thought they did pretty well), appease the part of their audience that is watching leisurely (which I thought they did) and be funny in the process (which, I also, thought they did). You think Esquire Network is going to renew a show that only 10,000 beer geeks are watching and no one else is? I, for myself, was happy to watch a show that wasn't embarrassing, was actually informative enough to keep me happy and discuss a good amount of the beers in each city they were in, not just the usual suspects.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but I saw this yesterday on another non-beer site, and I say, kudos to them. If it means more people buy this particular beer...then good for them.

7. 77black_ships

77black_ships Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Brewdog is hardly the only brewery making USA style or USA-inspired beers these days in Europe. Just to give an example, Zythos the biggest beer festival in Belgium allows its visitors to choose what their favourite beers are every year. In 2013 4 out of the top 5 beers chosen were IPA’s. The top 10 also included a Brandy BA beer and an BA Imperial stout. We are talking here about a large, commercial beer event where AB-InBev has a well-visited stand. Brewdog isn’t very good either in making USA-style beers in my opinion. UK is full of quality brewers making USA-inspired beers: Kernel, Siren, Thornbridge, Magic Rock, Brodies, Moor, Beavertown, Buxton, Partizan, Fyne all come instantly to mind. All of them are head and shoulders above Brewdog.

JackHorzempa and Hoppsbabo like this.
  8. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (1,790) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

I was just giving my "other side of the pond" opinion on BrewDog. I didn't realize the OP was from the UK until after I posted what i did. I, myself, said their beers are nothing special right at the beginning of my post, just that it has to be nice to have as much variety as possible. I just don't understand why these guys get so hated on, that's it. My post really had nothing to do with the quality of their product.
    I cut my teeth many moons ago on European beer, so I know there are a lot of breweries over there that are doing it right.

9. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (317) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

I think it's only healthy for people to be less than impressed by bombastic and aggrandizing rhetoric coming out of any group or organization. On the other hand, I've found Brewdog beers like Punk IPA, Dead Pony Club and Zeitgeist and 77 lager to be tasty, quality beers judged on their own merits. And I think they do an excellent job with brewing Evil Twin's Yellow Cab Lager. I haven't had their more expensive beers, as I wont pay that kind of money for beer, but I can imagine that the stakes are higher when you charge that kind of money, people will be expecting alot from those beers and it is easy to disappoint. If you combine the lofty rhetoric with potentially disappointing beer experiences (due to a percieved uneven price-to-value ratio) then I can see why people would become negative towards Brew Dog as a brand and brewery.

10. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

the marketing is annoying and the beer ranges from bad to "okay but lol @ paying import prices for this shit" ("bartender, please serve me your oldest, most expensive IPA. the greater the distance it's traveled, the better!").

@article, not exactly NSFW unless you work in a temperance hall. "i opened this article about brewdog expecting male nudity and instead i get THIS???" when SEO goes flagrantly wrong.

guinness77 likes this.
  11. Wanda

Wanda Initiate (118) Nov 23, 2006 Tennessee

Shouldn't it have said they're NOT sorry for NOT giving a $hit?

Either way I agree with Brewdog in this case. I'd expect this kind of correspondence if their label had a picture of someone's junk on it but for just naming it "dead pony club"? Seems the Portman Group is having a hard time just trying to justify their jobs.

12. BiereBlanche

BiereBlanche Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2007 Colorado

Take your stinkin paws off me, you damn dirty ape!!

(PS: the member companies of Portman Group. hint: no surprises)

Joshmistake likes this.
  13. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

But it seems like they do give a shit...

I don't have any ill-will towards BrewDog, but I guess I don't see how this kind of rant serves any purpose. At least, not any purpose related to "fighting for the growth of craft beer" or whatever. This kind of response is designed to do one thing: appeal to their fans and perhaps win over new fans who like the Devil May Care attitude that they display, which, in fairness, fits with the image that they are trying to portray.

Posting that kind of response to their blog isn't doing a damn thing to fight large company bullying and growth suffocation in the craft beer industry. To the contrary, it may even alienate those who are in a position to help affect positive change. Maybe not. I believe the saying goes you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Well... unless your flies are big fans of sour beer. :wink:

14. His_Royal_Hoppiness

This is a forum to discuss beer-related news. It may have been a non-story in the US, but it's been 'trending' heavily in the UK and merits discussion (not the same as promotion, believe it or not).

Also, just to clarify, I am not 'hating on' Brewdog. I actually think many of their beers are ok, but I'm yet to try anything that justifies their self-satisfied marketing campaign. Maybe it's a UK thing - I don't know what it's like in the States, but here they are really the only brewery who take this approach. There's no doubt that they've helped to boost an interest in craft beer over the last few years, but they've also trendified it and made it faddish, and personally I feel that after seven years their rhetoric is beginning to get very, very tired.

Exactly! And these breweries let their excellent beers speak for themselves!

guinness77 likes this.
  15. Joshmistake

Joshmistake Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Minnesota

You're going to find a lot of opinions in regards to BrewDog on BA. I happen to think their beers are solid. Some of them are quite good. A few of them are really awesome. You palate may be different than mine...live and let live.
    I appreciate the way they do what they do. They remind me of a more aggressive Stone...with a healthy dose of UK mixed in. Their "non-apology" was priceless, especially considering the hack "group" that put out the hit on their beer. A "group" who is bankrolled by millions of dollars from companies who want to see BrewDog fail. The Portman group is laughable at best...a secular "fundamentalist" group who will bust on the little guy if they're not "in-line" with being "decent." All the while the massive crap-beer companies can hawk sex and violence and the Portman group doesn't give two shits about it. Kudos to BrewDog for calling them out. It would be awesome if more people had the balls to do it in the industry. Kudos to BrewDog for making great beer. My palate has enjoyed many of your beers here in San Diego!

16. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

The childish sarcasm hurts their arguement. Why not just be sincere. You don't have to be an asshole when you are right.

17. WeaponTheyFear

WeaponTheyFear Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 Connecticut

But I'm pretty sure their labels say you do have to be an asshole when you're right.

18. Hanglow

Hanglow Crusader (798) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

It would be out of character for them to do that

We now have Brewmeister to take the immature brewery crown anyway. They really are a bunch of muppets

19. BobBarker

BobBarker Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2014 Louisiana

I disagree completely that brew dogs makes average beer. They make great beer (especially IPAs) and I loved the letter. The ruling was crap and it's nice to see someone using humor both with the faux pretentiousness and well written response to a dumb ruling.

Loganyoung and digita7693 like this.
  20. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (2,518) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

A bunch of in your face guys, with an in your face brand that makes in your face beer write an in your face letter?

this is a surprise how?

StuartCarter likes this.
  21. mynie

mynie Poo-Bah (4,265) Jun 22, 2004 Maryland
    Society

I don't think the response is gorgeous poetry or anything, but I applaud any effort that brings more anger into the beer community.

Also, the average beer blog is written at, what, a 5th grade level? Maybe? Dense writing is often necessary if you're trying to express dense ideas, and I don't think we should react so angrily just because a dude wrote some long sentences with some semi-obscure words.

Then again, I am nothing if not a rambling and pretentious bastard, so maybe I'm a little biased here.

StuartCarter and digita7693 like this.
  22. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

If I was Brewdog, I would have shortened that whole blog to a simple "go fuck yourself".

BobBarker, guinness77 and Joshmistake like this.
  23. Brew_Bro

Brew_Bro Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2014 Florida

I liked the letter. I thought it was rather funny.

24. BradenMK

BradenMK Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

Gotta say, I do love the attitude. Never tried any of their beer though, because it costs too much money. Still not gonna try any now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.