Any alternatives to Seekabrew?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kanderna, Dec 6, 2017.

1. kanderna

kanderna Initiate (169) Sep 8, 2009 Iowa

Given that it's beginning to get terribly out of date and doesn't seem to be actively updated, does anyone have any alternatives to seekabrew? There was a really good one called, but folded earlier this year. Thanks!
    matcris and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  2. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,243) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Good question. I love Seekabrew, too, but it is out of date.
    matcris likes this.
  3. kanderna

My in-laws recently moved to NJ, so I need to give them a list of beer to mule here for Christmas. I don't want to miss anything!
    SammyJaxxxx and dcotom like this.
  4. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,563) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Ask them nicely if they will make a run up to Massachusetts, pick up some Trillium and Tree House stuff, and drop it off in Waterloo on their way out.
    Harrison8, Mothergoose03 and kanderna like this.
  5. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (803) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Member Beer Trader

With so many local options for most, the improving quality of those options and a business model predicated on a practice that is illegal in many areas, I would be very reluctant about sending my money to anyone providing this service.
  6. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (141) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

7. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Aspirant (209) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

From their "About" page:

The US beer distribution data is a community effort to maintain. It's only as accurate as the updates that get sent in, so if you see a brewery on the shelves that's not on the map, email John and he will add it.
  8. dcotom

Beer Trader

The only border guards I've ever dealt with inside the US were in California, and the only thing they confiscated was a bag of apples. Besides, it's his family, for crying out loud!!
    GuyFawkes, TonyLema1 and DJturnstile like this.
  9. jojo2112

Beer Trader

I'm guessing surfcaster didn't even bother to see what seekabrew actually is. That, or he was being facetious and it went over my head.
    GuyFawkes and dcotom like this.
  10. kanderna

Yeah, but I've sent them multiple updates and they've never been updated, so I assumed that they weren't actively updating any longer. There are beers that have been in Iowa for years that are not yet reflected on the site.
  11. dcotom

Beer Trader

To the original question: Kane and Carton get pretty high marks around here. I've had some beers from Flying Fish that were very good. Check out the regional forum, where you might find some other recommendations.

Can you get Grimm and OH in NJ? Just wondering.
    VABA likes this.
  12. kanderna

Yeah, I'll definitely work the regional forums for NJ recommendations. That use was really just an aside to the original question... if there is an alternative to seekabrew. I love the site for what it is (I'm certain a lot of people do), and use it quite often when I travel myself... it just doesn't seem like it's being updated any more. Maybe it's prime for someone to take it over if the original owners don't have the time.
  13. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,230) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

You might want to take a look at the primary "craft" state-wide distributor's portfolio at:

And, in central Jersey, the large MC and AB distributors' "craft" portfolios can be found at:

Many of the same brands are also distributed by the MC or AB houses in the northern & southern sections of the state, as well, of course.

Lots of the small NJ brewers self-distribute or sell only at the brewery, so check out their individual websites at
    dcotom, Bitterbill and jkblr like this.
  14. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Aspirant (205) Jan 26, 2013 Missouri

I sent them multiple updates a couple of years ago and they never responded and never made the updates.
    GuyFawkes and matcris like this.
  15. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Aspirant (209) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Oh, well that's just obnoxious.
    GuyFawkes likes this.
  16. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (803) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina

I blew this one. I had used someone that had a name very similar to order something one day and it wasn't this.

DUH on me. Neat concept but with so many folks coming on line, this would be a full time job to maintain.

dcotom likes this.
  17. jojo2112

Beer Trader

All good man.
    dcotom likes this.
  18. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,835) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

I sent updates that were never posted, but when I commented on it in these forums the owner responded. I sent updates and they were made.
  19. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (739) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

20. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,510) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Seekbrew is outdated, I'm shocked to know that Upper Ny State gets Buriel beers to any degree. It's not on their listing the last I saw. Only Bestway as I know it sells them here, so there few and far between even in state. So I'd expect there's a lot that falls thru the holes.
  21. kanderna

I like Untappd, but unless I'm missing something it doesn't:
    • Allow me to select a brewery (ex. Ballast Point) and see which states it distributes to
    • Allow me to select a state and see which breweries distribute to it
    • Allow me to select two states and compare the breweries that distribute to them
    GuyFawkes likes this.
  22. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (739) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

OHHHH. I thought you meant Tap Hunter for some reason.
  23. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,332) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

What seekabrew really needs is some volunteer labor to assist the volunteer who created that site in the first place and who is spending time maintaining the site. Sometimes when something is run by only one or two volunteers the real world of work, etc. take priority over the volunteer work.

Quite honestly I'm surprised it has survived as long as it has.
    #23 drtth, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    SFACRKnight, cavedave and donspublic like this.
  24. kanderna

Exactly. He/she likely doesn't have the time to stay up to date. Hell, they even state on the website that it will take a community effort to stay updated, but I imagine that even getting emails with updates is overwhelming. They should designate a representative from each state (I'll take Iowa) to keep that state current and give them access to make changes. Email updates could put the state name in the subject line and they could be auto-forwarded to the appropriate rep.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  25. jojo2112

Beer Trader

Or just make it so that anyone can update it (with some sort of review process), like Wikipedia.
    cavedave likes this.
  26. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,024) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

I'm willing to cover MI. I use Seekabrew a lot to help customers understand distribution and where they can find something they are looking for that isn't available here.
  27. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (483) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

FWIW, if you're interested in imported beers [I know that's probably a big if], I have noticed many NJ beer stores carry a variety of imports from countries that I never see on shelves around me in PA. NJ is more of melting pot than many areas of the country, and the beer available reflects that some degree.

Local hazy IPAs and the like are available too of course, but I'm not very up on them to make recommendations. Flying Fish's Exit # series beers are usually pretty solid though.
  28. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,243) Sep 15, 2014 New York

That's understandable, given how fast brewery growth and change is in the U.S. right now. I just wasn't sure if he was still active or not.
  29. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,860) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Where in NJ are the in laws.
    In addition to beer they should be mulling you Taylor Ham and tasty-kakes
  30. given2flybrewing

given2flybrewing Initiate (86) Dec 19, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Sorry, I was the one who developed It folded simply because I wasn't seeing a whole of lot of traffic to the site and it was costly to maintain. I have however kept the database updated since its closing, so I may ultimately recreate another website, but I need to figure out a way to account for the costs and improve traffic to the site.
    frozyn, Fox82791, RaulMondesi and 9 others like this.
  31. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,131) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Man, I used to love Seekabrew but honestly, I haven't been on for at least 2 years. Usually if I'm out of state, I know there are only a few shelf beers to be on the lookout for. Mostly locals these days are what I'm muling home and not regional/national distribution beers that just miss my state. Deschutes is the main brewery that still isn't in MD, so I generally grab their stuff when I see it when out of state.
    jrnyc likes this.
  32. kfordham281

kfordham281 Initiate (184) Oct 29, 2005 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Anyone know the developer(s)? I'd volunteer for GA.

Looks like he/she just needs to give access to write to the Google Sheet that the data is pulled from. You could likely create a Google Form to capture updated data to work from instead of emails or however they are getting updates.
  33. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,250) Mar 21, 2010 New York

Totally forgot about this site. Before local craft beer scene exploded here in New York, used to use this to figure out what extras to send.
    TonyLema1 and bgold86 like this.
  34. Junior

Junior Disciple (338) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I thought was great. Thank you for your efforts.
    given2flybrewing likes this.
  35. kanderna

Thanks for checking in Jamie. Enjoyed your site while it lasted, and be sure to let us know if you kick it off again!
    given2flybrewing likes this.
  36. kanderna

I sent a note to webmaster and another contact listed on the site. Explained to them the discussion going on here and sent them a link. Invited them to join the discussion and assured them we want to help. Crickets.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  37. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (7,028) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

I open my Untappd app. Click on venues. Click on the map. Move it over the city I'm headed to and start clicking on venues.
  38. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (342) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

Nothing similar to that is more updated. Trust me, Ive looked.

Scour the local forums on here based on the place youre going. And...I always start a forum asking the locals for recommendations about a week before I go.

Also - to anyone who gets bent when some posts a forum like "Best Bottle Shops in X City" - to you I say: get over your damnself. Who cares if this has been discussed before?! Someone wants to talk about it now.

And yes - everyone knows there is a search option on here.
  39. McFinniganOfTheFinnigans

McFinniganOfTheFinnigans Initiate (192) Apr 20, 2017 Florida

Tap Hunter is neat, but I've checked the tap lists in person compared to their online coverage. Rather off.
    raynmoon likes this.
  40. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,230) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

The owner of the site used to post here on BA as "FalconA". He's still active on another, similar Beer website* under the same screen name.

* Sorry, unable to post the name here on BA.