Belgium Any hidden Belgian gems?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Dave_S, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (111) May 18, 2017 England

Hi folks!

I've been spending a bit of time in Brussels lately, but apart from lambics, haven't found that many new (to me) Belgian beers that are massively better than the ones that I can get at home in the UK. That's partly because I'm lucky enough to have a great Local Independent Beverage Retailer that regularly stocks stuff like De Ranke, Blaugies, De Dolle, Struise, Alvinne, De La Senne and so on as well as the obvious classics (and yes, I'm aware that this is a bit of a world's-smallest- violin situation), but I am left wondering whether there's anything obscure but amazing that I'm missing.

Any more leftfield suggestions?

Thanks!

thebeers likes this.
  2. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,194) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Maybe not obscure, but I've very rarely seen an enkel/patersbier from any Trappist brewery outside of Belgium.
    Beyond those (and the previously mentioned lambics), Belgian beers tend make the rounds export-wise. Most travel well after all.

3. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Disciple (385) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

You probably also get some Flemish old red-brown from the likes of Rodenbach, Petrus and such. But there are many more and hard to find. Hit up some specialty shops and bars, ask for the style and explore.

herrburgess likes this.
  4. slaneja

slaneja Initiate (145) Mar 26, 2010 Belgium

Not sure if these are really obscure and perhaps you have access to them already. If not, try looking for some stuff from these brewers:

de Dochter van de Korenaar (never had a bad beer from them)
    Brasserie Rulles
    Viven
    Brasserie du Brabant
    Den Triest

5. omlooper

omlooper Initiate (22) Apr 25, 2008 Missouri

Have you checked out Moeder Lambic? A wonderful place.

Redrover and thebeers like this.
  6. bostonvert

bostonvert Initiate (132) Feb 24, 2017 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Check out Den Haas in Gooik. It's a nice cafe thats been there for decades. They have a wonderful selection, not too big but they do still serve lambic!

in Gent you have the Dulle Griet on de Vrijdagmarkt. The cafe has a phenomenal list of beers that never ends and they have some real gems like 'Grottenbier',...

If its bottles you're looking for have you had anything from Witkap? I am currently not in Belgium but I will check my local drinkshop when I get back for some special and interesting stuf!

7. skeevn

skeevn Initiate (123) Sep 25, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

brouwerij 't verzet: oud bruin
    if u like a new approach to the oudbruin style u can check out their infusions

8. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (111) May 18, 2017 England

Thanks for the suggestions so far! There's definitely some stuff that I need to get more familiar with - Rulles, for instance, I see around occasionally but haven't really investigated.

To answer my own question a bit, other breweries that have impressed me that I didn't recognize from the UK are Caracole, Bastogne and Legendes.

The Moeders are obviously incredible for lambics, and also fantastic for imports, but I don't actually find them that great for less well-known Belgian stuff - possibly because they focus on draught? Meanwhile, a lot of bars seem to hide the really interesting stuff in a long list full of rather ho-hum macro and contract-brewed stuff, presumably to get the bottle-count up, which can be annoying if you don't want to spend the whole evening peering at a phone trying to work out what's actually worth drinking...

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.