Any other weekend warriors here?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Monkeyknife, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,052) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

Anyone else a total-teetotaler during the week but free to enjoy the better things on the weekends? I've been on a low carb diet since last summer and have really been watching my beer intake. So far I've lost 60 pounds and am near where I'd like to stay. With this diet, weekends have become a very special time to me and I've been enjoying many a new beer after tough weeks at work. It's funny, but after 2-3 days of big beer action i kind of enjoy a quiet week of waiting for the next weekend.

2. flagmantho

flagmantho Poo-Bah (5,708) Feb 19, 2009 Washington
    Society

Me: I need to lose 60 pounds and be healthier.
    Doctor: Well, you could stop drinking on weekdays.
    Me: Well, we tried.

3. KarmicSkrambl8

KarmicSkrambl8 Disciple (377) Dec 21, 2014 California

Wavelength....completely...

Monday-Weds nights....completely dry

Thursday...one...maybe two

Friday-Saturday....4-5-6 high ABV%

Sunday...finish strong with 3-4 big beers

Balance....i figure

need ot be sharp for work...drinnk to relax...feel i can't til the weekend...plus also wish to not gain inordinate amount of weight and empty the bank account

plus...is sure tastes better after 3-4 nights without...to be sure

hopley, swolepeer, JScoot and 6 others like this.
  4. Jirin

Jirin Aspirant (227) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

My drinking's about the same frequency on weekdays and weekends. In the last couple weeks I've had a bit too much so I'm going to go back to not starting drinking until 11 except for social occasions.

But I've been losing weight anyway because of Spartan Race training.

I agree the longer you've gone without beer the better it tastes.

5. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,767) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

I stick to my 1-2 beers per night/day, 7 days a week. Seems to be working for me.

#5 Ri0, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  6. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Disciple (378) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho

Yep weekend drinker here! Could drink beer everyday, used to for decades but getting older and wiser. Nothing against people who drink anytime just my choice to keep it to weekends. I can honestly say I really enjoy it more and look forward to it more being a weekend warior. The exceptions would be holidays and vacation......

tvoss99, JxExM, fx20736 and 2 others like this.
  7. qchic

qchic Defender (635) Jul 6, 2004 Maryland

I couldn't keep up with all the beers I wanna try without weeknights. Trying to fit them into the weekend would be a challenge, and I like savoring 1-2 each night. Plus, it's a wonderful part of my daily routine that I look forward to.

tvoss99, TooGood, Lucular and 2 others like this.
  8. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

I go through phases but I rarely have a routine. I try to stay somewhat balanced, especially as I get older. I have found a couple high gravity beers during a week night generally makes me a cranky dude in the morning at work.

9. lysergicdream

lysergicdream Aspirant (246) May 13, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

i just started doing this around 3 weeks ago and it has been a challenge but i really look forward to fri-sat-sun. and i've dropped a couple pounds.

tvoss99, JxExM, IDABEERGUY and 3 others like this.
  10. rozzom

rozzom Champion (851) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

My deal is:

Mon/Tues - zero
    Wed/Thurs - one or two
    Fri/Sat - whatever
    Sun - one or two

Of course social stuff can change things, so perhaps switch stuff around (or change it completely haha), but this is probably the norm. Currently training on my bike (outdoors when possible) five times a week, with the odd run thrown in as well. I am a weekend warrior when it comes to eating healthily though. All this combined keeps me in shape.

CIBoy10, Providence, cjgiant and 4 others like this.
  11. Hanglow

Hanglow Crusader (791) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

I used to do that but now spread my drinking throughout the week. Also pubs are quieter during the week which I prefer, compared to weekends when they are hoaching

12. fx20736

fx20736 Savant (998) Mar 7, 2009 New York

used to be an every day drinker. Now it's weekends only.

JxExM and 302BeerGuy like this.
  13. 302BeerGuy

302BeerGuy Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2014 Delaware

Fridays & Saturdays only! If I somehow get Friday off, then Thursdays and Saturdays!
    Only time I drink on Sundays if I'm on vacation or at a day game visiting Wrigley Field.
    I also don't eat a lot of red meat, I got coffee and cigarettes to substitute for that!

Stagga_Lee likes this.
  14. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Defender (681) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

When you have a wife, 2 little kids, and one on the way, drinking during the week is usually very limited. I usually have 2-3 beers all week long, and then about 6 on the weekend. Keeps me from gaining weight too.

KarmicSkrambl8 and 302BeerGuy like this.
  15. Skabiski

Skabiski Defender (602) Feb 2, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Friday nights and Saturdays for me due to my work schedule. By Wednesday, I usually have a plan for what beers I am going to drink on the weekend. When I'm on vacation, it's anything goes.

16. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Zealot (542) Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

I work some weekends, so this doesn't necessarily apply to me. But I've started to tell myself that I have to have at least 3 dry nights a week which seems very manageable. And if I'm working the next day, it's always just 1 or 2. I'm trying to shed some lbs without doing anything too drastic, so hopefully a little cutting back here and there along with a little more exercise will do the trick. I also find that it's not so much about how many dry nights you have, but how many you're drinking when you do drink.

KarmicSkrambl8 likes this.
  17. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Me too. I have to watch my calories closely as I am older and losing weight is no longer easy. If I stick to my rule, two a day or LESS NOT MORE. Any beer, any style, any abv but not more than two. This keeps calories in check and as the palate craves different styles I am not always staring down a 500 calorie glass of stout.

18. Shanem12

Shanem12 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 Connecticut

Every Sunday night I say I won't drink all week. I'm usually lucky to make it to Wednesday.

19. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

I'm a 1 a day person. Maybe 2 or a bomber on the weekends. I'll open it up a bit if I'm getting together with someone. Every 6 months or so I take a week off and don't drink at all. I'm doing that right now actually and get to have one Sunday.

DeepBrew, FRANKIE65 and Monkeyknife like this.
  20. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Zealot (542) Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

Ha. Exactly. Every morning in the shower after I drink (even if it's jusy 1-2) I tell myself "I'm not drinking anything tonight." But usually after work I'm in the mood again. Funny how that works...

Monkeyknife likes this.
  21. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Poo-Bah (1,534) Jan 26, 2013 Ontario (Canada)

Hey OP...congratulations on the weight loss. That is quite a feat.

I am aiming to do the same thing g in time for a wedding in late August, so I am restricting my beer days to Thursday (one) and Saturday (umm...more than one). The rest of the time I pine for beer. Hopefully I join you in that weight loss range.

Monkeyknife likes this.
  22. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Devotee (461) Jan 4, 2009 Kentucky

I'm in the same boat. I work 7 days a week for about half of the year, so I don't drink on weeknights for lack of time, lack of desire, and the need to be lucid starting at 7am the next morning in the office. When I do have a drink, it is on the weekend - either Friday night (with a meal) or Saturday night while watching a game, and I limit myself to that one beer for the entire weekend. I will make an exception for a special occasion (like my birthday), and splurge for a second bottle, but generally-speaking one beer per weekend is the rule I like stick to. I also like to limit my one drink to a night where I've gone out for a run first, so if I haven't been able to get in 5+ miles after work, I usually skip the beer and wait until the next weekend when I can go and run first. Just an exercise in self-control, and I think it benefits me in two ways: 1) it lets me keep laser focus on my goals of maintaining a healthier lifestyle (unlike my experience in college *ahem*); and 2) when I do select something to drink, it ensures I pick something top quality because I know it is going to be the only drink I enjoy for the weekend. Just my .02.

Monkeyknife likes this.
  23. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Zealot (571) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I'm a firm believer in taking breaks from all things you really like, whether that's drinking, playing sports, or any other sort of activity or hobby. I think you get burnt out on doing something repetitvely, and by taking a break, you tend to appreciate it and enjoy it more when you do get the chance to do whatever it is you like.

There is some saying, about absence makes the heart grow fonder (ok, I know I just completely butchered that :slight_smile:).

Monkeyknife and Stagga_Lee like this.
  24. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,991) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I'm working on this too, I had two beers this week, maybe 5-6 since the New Year. I'm only down about 7 lbs, but I'm losing belly which is better than just losing cheap easy water weight.

tvoss99, JxExM and Monkeyknife like this.
  25. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,785) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

One or two from Sunday through Thursday, 4-5 on Friday and Saturday

Monkeyknife likes this.
  26. KeithE

KeithE Disciple (300) Sep 10, 2013 Illinois

I usually have 1 or 2 beers per night. I have replaced carbs in my diet with beer so I haven't gained weight at all. So no pizza, pasta, bread, etc..... still working on chips. It's hard to give them up!

27. AricGresko

AricGresko Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

1-2 beers a few nights a week when i have the time to do so. All you have to do is factor in calories in vs. calories out. and if you follow a macro based diet which is smart, just replace the calories from the beer you drink in your daily allowed carb intake.

twb0392 and Monkeyknife like this.
  28. JimF138

JimF138 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2015 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Every night without fail. 3-4 nights a week I'll have an Impy stout in bed watching TV with the wife on top of the 3-4 average abv beers I've already had. I feel great every morning getting up for work and am not overnight and feel very healthy. Respect everyone who drinks less than me though, have plenty friends who abstain from everything during the week then go mad at weekend.

29. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (465) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Trader

I try to drink only on my off days from the gym, but I won't pass up any cool tap takeovers or bottle shares :wink:. Definitely get a little crazier on the weekends, depending on my work schedule

Monkeyknife and Gemini6 like this.
  30. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,461) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

I just drink beer when I feel like drinking beer, and don't when I don't. Sometimes I have a beer after work but then don't drink on Saturday or Sunday. Seems to work out OK.

JxExM, FRANKIE65, Monkeyknife and 2 others like this.
  31. mikepcarney

mikepcarney Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2009 Ohio

I'm lucky to drink a beer 2-3 nights a week. Wish I still have the weekends.

Monkeyknife likes this.
  32. JC333

JC333 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2013 New York

You saved me time by writing my post for me

Monkeyknife and KarmicSkrambl8 like this.
  33. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,216) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

I'm often the opposite. I'll have a beer or two after the kids are in bed on the weekdays, then I'll get so busy doing other things on the weekend that I run out of time to crack one open and unwind.

Monkeyknife and Stagga_Lee like this.
  34. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

I'm on medication that doesn't mix well with a great deal of alcohol.

So it's one beer per day (including weekends)...but usually, I only drink five nights out of the week.

Monkeyknife likes this.
  35. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

So how did you low carb and get beer in on the weekend and drop 60? I do low carb too but if I sneak a beer in there anywhere it like throws off the metabolism and I have to start all over! Send me your diet plan because I have a hell of a time giving up beer but I gotta get the lbs off I put on over the holidays.

Monkeyknife likes this.
  36. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (85) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas

I need to start some kind off plan. Right now, I drink whenever I want and whatever I want. Not every night, but several. Usually 1 or 2, but sometimes up to 4. My plan for now is to try for every other of maybe even every 3rd night, and to make those 4 or more beer nights into 3 beer night. Also thinking about going to 0 on the 7 days that I'm on call.

Also thinking about joining a fitnes center or buying a bike. The problem is that I have a very demanding work schedule that is not regular. You know how it is, you make it 5 or 6 times then you miss 1 or 2. The more you miss the easier it get to miss more! If I can live 2-1/2 years to retirement, I'll start a regular exercise program and stick with it.

Thanks for posting your plans! Lots of ideas here.

Monkeyknife likes this.
  37. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,052) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

You're better off going cold turky for a while to kickstart the metabolism. When I started keto (low carb) last summer I chose to stop beer completely. I lost about 2 lbs a week and went from 263 to under 210 by the holiday season. I added beer back to my life in December and still drop weight but at a much slower clip. I'm at about 200 lbs right now.

38. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,411) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I stick to 1 or 2 session beers per weeknight, usually just 1... and then weekends anything goes really. So, I'm a weekend warrior I guess!

twb0392 and Monkeyknife like this.
  39. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,191) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

My palate wears the pants in this relationship. When it asks for an IPA, I oblige. Sometimes, reluctantly.

40. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (692) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I tend to limit my drinking to Thursday-Sunday and take a few days off early in the week. And for me its all about how i feel the next day so rather than count calories or the number of beers, i count abv and try to stay under 25% abv in total as if i go over that, i tend to feel it the next day. That means three 7%-8% IPA's/DIPA's and i am good. If i am going to have a Barleywine or a BA RIS, then i may only have 1 other beer. Limiting the # of beers you drink without considering what you are drinking is meaningless to me.

Monkeyknife likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.