Any Solid Sours Easily Available in Seattle?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ChugginOil, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChugginOil

ChugginOil Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2010 Illinois

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for good sours in the Seattle area. Thanks!

Clark

2. t4h2c0

t4h2c0 Initiate (64) Jun 5, 2007 Washington

cascade brewing is prob the best you will get in the bottle around seattle. Go to a good bottle shop and they will point you out to more sours

3. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,400) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Yup. Since Russian River left the state, Cascade is a pretty good (but pricey) alternative. I was in Chuck's a week or so ago and they had cases upon cases of Blueberry and Vlad The Impaler, possibly a couple others.

4. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,554) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

And you should be able to find Logsdon's around. Seizoen Bretta is fantastic.

bifrost17 and draheim like this.
  5. adkieffer

adkieffer Disciple (326) Nov 23, 2010 Washington

The Bruery's Sour in the Rye is stll around.

6. deathcharms

deathcharms Initiate (68) Jul 11, 2009 California

Red Peak's Morning Dew is drinking FANTASTIC right now.

7. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Aspirant (202) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Again with the Red Peak. Where can I find out about them?

8. aedeos

aedeos Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2007 Washington

Avoid Vlad this year. It's a hot mess in a bottle right now. So vegetal.

But Tilquin just sits on shelves. Get that all day erry day.

9. draheim

Beer Trader

I don't consider Seizoen Bretta a true sour, but it is a fantastic beer and at around $10 a great value to boot.

guajolote and beertunes like this.
  10. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (283) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Agreed. I haven't had it from a bottle, but if it's anything like the glass I had at the Barrel House on Wednesday it needs time (and luck) to mellow it out.

Also agreed. I've been attempting to stockpile all the batch 1 (1/2 year blend) and batch 2 (1/2/3 year blend) that I can find. It's arguably as good as Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen, and yet it just sits there.

11. deathcharms

Well "sour" in itself is a stupid terminology.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  12. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (511) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I'm just now getting into sours and wilds. I recently had my first bottle of Tilquin last week. Wow!

I'm not sure if the OP was only looking for local sours or not, but there are a ton of sours on the shelves around Seattle if you're not just looking for local --- Petrus, Duchesse, Rodenbach, Verhaeghe, Monk's Cafe, Lindemans, etc.

13. draheim

Beer Trader

I don't know. Some beers actually taste sour (or tart), so I assume that's what the OP is looking for. I just don't think Seizoen Bretta is a particularly sour beer.

14. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Aspirant (261) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

I'm glad to hear that. I picked up 3 bottles when I was in Quishnam last month but havent opened any yet. Henry said they will aged nicely.

15. csano

csano Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2010 Washington

Only 3? At $8/750ml, you should have gotten at least a case. Come on, man, this is some of the best out there.

EDIT: But thanks for leaving some for the rest of us...

16. csano

It's insane. I grab bottles every time I'm down in PDX. I have no idea why it's so expensive in the Seattle area. Always $18 or so in PDX, but $23-25 in Seattle.

That's because Cantillon is one of the breweries that Pierre gets the wort from that he uses in his blends.

17. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (511) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

$3 for an imaginary beer seems pretty expensive to me.

18. deathcharms

19. draheim

Beer Trader

"We miss you and we want to come home." - draheim's $30 :(

ramnuts and oregone like this.
  20. csano

[Insert obligatory Cascade beers are nothing but a lactic acid mess rant]

And for those of you who think you saw me at Bottleworks recently buying up bottles of the anniversary release, that was not me.

aedeos likes this.
  21. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (246) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

What's with the top of that "bottle?" It looks like Marty McFly's brother in the picture from Back to the Future. "Erased... from existence."

22. aedeos

aedeos Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2007 Washington

I know we've had this conversation already, but there were many that improved big with age. Most notably: Strawberry and Figaro.

23. csano

Yeah, I remember you mentioning that Strawberry was one of the biggest surprises of the recent tasting. I've got bottles sitting in the cellar that I'm planning on opening come strawberry season. Hopefully it won't disappoint, but you know, I kind of expect it to. ;)

24. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (968) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Puyallup River's Strawberry and Peche Farmhouse Saisons are nice, fruity and sour, but draft only and not available at the moment.

I never think about buying it due to the price. The price really shouldn't be intimidating to me, since I pay that much for Cascade as well as Cantillon whenever I'm in Canada.

25. csano

I keep thinking the same exact thing. But it annoys me to no end that Tilquin is so much more expensive here in WA than it is down in OR. You'd never believe this if you saw my cellar, but I'm extremely frugal, and I shed unicorn-like tears every time I buy a bottle of something and find out later that it's cheaper somewhere else.

26. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Aspirant (263) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I just picked up a bottle of Bog by Epic Ales (WA, of course - because it wasn't rare). I thought this was a wild ale, but harrymel's recent review is stating otherwise. Re-reading my new bottle's label, I suspect harry's right. Anyone know if the first batch of this from last year had anything "wild" about it? Perhaps the mushrooms used were psilocybin? :D

27. sukwonee

sukwonee Crusader (740) Dec 13, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

1882 black label, Tilquin, Cascade Apricot and blueberry, La Folie 2013 (just came out), Oude Tart was good too, but I am not sure if it's still around.

28. beerandcycling88

beerandcycling88 Initiate (0) May 13, 2010 Washington

The last couple of times I've been in Seattle, I have ran into some sours by Epic Ales on tap at the Collins Pub.

29. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2012 Washington

You must've gotten that in trade from leedorham?

30. Mages64

Mages64 Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

Snipes releases a few sours every now and then in keg only.
    Bog is a fairly delicious imperialish stout. Of all of Cody's beers, this is the most normal tasting lol. B2 anyway.
    Epic's Beet Down Sour bottles are going to be released soon too.

Um... But yeah... Red poppy, sour in the rye, Rueze, la folie, and tons of Belgians. Good luck.

Cantillon is plentiful in Vancouver!

31. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Cody's Party Time! beers are pretty standard Berlinner Weisses, and might tasty.

32. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Aspirant (261) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Yeah, I was just up there this weekend and picked up a case at a little liquor store across from my brothers apt. It's funny cause Canadians get pissed when you say the Cantillon flows like water up there.

33. slinkie

slinkie Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2011 Washington

Need to plan Vancouver trip.

34. draheim

Beer Trader

Pissing off Canadians = always a good time

BuckeyeOne and checktherhyme like this.
  35. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Over the weekend, I got a 375 of Cantillon Kriek and the only 750 of Cantillon Gueuze that was available. Shop I went to also had some 375s of Rose de Gambrinus, but I've already got a 750 a home so I was nice and left it for others. It's up there, but not so plentiful that you can just walk in and buy yourself a case whenever you feel like it.

Also, Driftwood has two good sours available right: Mad Bruin and Belle Royale. They're worth your money.

36. BDavidson14

BDavidson14 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2008 Washington

Guess I'm headed to Vancouver soon for some Cantillon. Definitely think Casacade is the best you can get around Seattle though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe