Anyone else have this problem? $$$

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 1eyed_jack, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malfunxion

malfunxion Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 New York

SteveB24 likes this.
  2. Hauckstadtjr00

Hauckstadtjr00 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 New York

Well when you're buying some 4 packs of narwhal and ten fidy. Oh and the 6 pack of Third coast. Well I always need some fresh IPA. Annnnd there goes $60. And this is on top of the money I spend homebrewing batches of delicious beer... mmmm beeeeer

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  3. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

I remember when I was first kind of getting into craft beer, I was all about bombers for some reason. I think I thought they were cool or something, and my friend and I would go to the store and just get random ones we thought sounded good.

Very good way to spend $75 on really not that much beer at all.

SteveB24 likes this.
  4. rronin

rronin Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Diabetes freed from from having such a dilemma. I alot myself two beers every two weeks. That's it.

5. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

6. 1eyed_jack

Sorry to hear that.

So how do you decide what two beers? And how often do you repeat beers? I'd imagine having the same beer you've had already would have to mean it's a damn good beer?!

Sorry if you don't like talking about it, not trying to pry, just curious!

7. Nightwish1094

Nightwish1094 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2010 Texas

Yes, i spend entirely too much on beer.

keithmurray and malfunxion like this.
  8. e34john

e34john Initiate (87) Jul 22, 2013 California

Its $15 bucks everywhere. Its $15 at the brewery. Only time I've seen it cheaper, is when the grocery store is trying to clear out inventory.

Edit.
    Forgot Costco's price. Should be cheaper there, but its Costco, will check tomorrow.

9. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

It only sucks if you do spend 30-60 on every liquor store visit when you go out to a bar once or twice a week and drop another 50-60 that night on beers. Think about it. If you're spending it wisely at the liquor store. Maybe a couple bombers and a 4 or 6 pack. Chances are you are not drinking all that beer in one night. So basically you're drinking $20 worth of beer at home vs. a night out.

Just depends on your drinking habits. Do you drink 4-5 beers a night? If so then yes I could easily add up.

dogin26 likes this.
  10. 1eyed_jack

Very good points! I don't really go to the bars too often. Much prefer to keep it low key and drink with friends or what have you have at their place or mine.

Unless you're drinking Miller or Bud, decent beers at most bars are 5 or 6, so yeah, 3 beers with tip you're looking at $20 which is more than a 6-pack!

Isn't that funny. I'll sit here and be on the fence about spending $15 for a 6-pack of Sculpin, which works out to $2.50 a beer, and at a bar if I saw Sculpin for $2.50 I'd drink it all night and think it was the best deal ever!

So yeah, good point, perspective is key!

yemenmocha and SteveB24 like this.
  11. Ursushopsius

Ursushopsius Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2014 California

My local BevMo just brought Sculpin down to $13.50 and lord is it testing me.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  12. Smileitsfreetobehappy

Smileitsfreetobehappy Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2014 Alaska

ALRIGHT this is a no nonsense and simplistic solution to this problem its been working for me for about a year now on friday get 40$ (or w/e your budget is) IN CASH then slip it in your wallet then when you get to that liquor store put the cash in your pocket with your ID ofcourse and put all those lovely debit and credit cards in your glove box lock up your car and go on in. the WHOLE TIME YOUR IN THERE you will have a constant reminder in your pocket screaming YOU ONLY HAVE 40$ TO SPEND! it makes for some very enjoyable weekends and it keeps your intake in check (if you plan on drinking good beer every weekend anyway) or you can stock up on 2 24's of PBR your choice CHEERS EVERYONE!

SteveB24 likes this.
  13. meb3476

meb3476 Initiate (196) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

I'm 99.9% positive I'd have a bigger house if I didn't drink beer...at least that's what my wife keeps telling me.

SammyJaxxxx and keithmurray like this.
  14. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

I spend too much before I enter the shop, but bombers are not my problem. I purchase about 4-5 sixers a week.

15. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

I've given up on the budget thing as well. The releases never seem to end ...

16. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (403) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

Lucky me, my wife is addicted to Funkwerks Tropic King at $11 a 4 pack, I don't get a lot of guff about what my Sumpin Wilds cost...

And, you know, mo house mo problems, anyway

17. beeragent

beeragent Meyvn (1,057) Aug 16, 2005 Texas

I have the same problem. I intend to spend around $20, but almost always end up spending more like $40-50.

18. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,413) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

The problem I have is I don't drink enough to keep up with my purchases! In a given week, I will drink 4-5 beers (between Friday & Saturday night). The thing is, I'm always out purchasing beer somewhere, whether it is a beer that I see for a ridiculously great price or if it's a beer that's been on my wish list that I haven't been able to find elsewhere. A typical beer store purchase runs $30-40 for me, sometimes more and when you look back at the volume of beer that money buys, you realize you aren't getting much bang for your buck.

19. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Two pages and no stupid comment about first world problems yet? Wow, things are improving!

I still allow myself the retail indulgences, but I've cut back on the bar scene. It's just not a good value on that side of things, and a simple dinner with pub fare and craft beers is easily $60 plus about $12 tip. That's a good case and a half of beer, or a case plus a few bombers. I'll take the beer at home where I'm not griping that the glass has been empty for ten minutes, and how I'm supposed to tip anyway.

20. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I've experienced this problem somewhat, but the limits I set for myself restrict the damage that I do to myself. I bought three 4-packs one day that ran me close to $50. This was a bit of a shock to me as I'm used to spending no more than $20 for 12 beers. Part of that problem was that I didn't realize Ten Fidy was so expensive. Anyways, I told myself that I would only consume one 12 ounce bottle a week (along with cheaper stuff mixed in). $50 over three months doesn't seem as bad all of a sudden.

Although for many of us it may be harder to look at those Imperial Stouts every day and not drink them than to hold off on buying them in the first place. I'm a mini-hoarder I guess. As long as I have my one shelf in the fridge and the one shelf in the basement pretty well stocked I can control myself fairly well.

21. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Perspective can also be dangerous. If you were worried about the cost of a $15 six pack and now, when you realize that the price could be even higher you consider the $15 a good deal, you are getting yourself into trouble. This reminds me of the joke about the stereotypical wife coming home from the mall with bags of stuff and saying "look at how much I saved!"

22. Duffman79

Duffman79 Zealot (570) Nov 3, 2013 Connecticut

I used to cringe at spending $9.99 on a 12 oz. bottle of DFH 120 or WWS, but I just dropped $53 on two bottles of Rodenbach Caractere Rouge the other day and thought that was a great price!

23. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2009 California

5 beers and it's not even over $30???
    Man... IL has it good.

24. ILMbrew

ILMbrew Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2013 North Carolina

If you have never home brewed and dont have any equipment this probably isn't the answer but I try to keep a keg of a sessionable, enjoyable homebrew on tap at all times. So on the occasion where I do want to have more than one or two, or I want to have a beer during the week, I just drink my homebrew. At $25-$35 per 5 gallons its pretty budget friendly. The problem is commercial breweries won't stop turning out awesome one offs and seasonsals, so I still end up spending a good amount of $$$ running down the latest and greatest. Not to mention this new trading hobby...

25. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

My problem is somewhat similar. The $$ isn't a big deal - I live within my means and enjoy a good beer so I don't fret that I spend too much. The problem is that I enjoy IPAs and also do the 'just checking/looking' thing and end up buying something new or that I haven't seen fresh for a while even if I'm already fully stocked and have little or no room in the beer fridge. When I get over 48 bottles/cans [usually 75-25 in favor of IPAs], I stress out that something will go south on me, even though I keep the fridge at 40 - 45 degrees. The solution is of course to drink, but there's a limit to that as well.

TooGood likes this.
  26. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

great idea

27. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I don't even want to think about how much I'm going to spend this weekend between Chicago, Wisconsin, and Darkness Day.

28. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2006 Pennsylvania

Sidewalk beer sales?

Yes I spend a lot of money on beer. I have no problem avoiding expensive bombers though. I just rationalize that I can have more of something just as tasty in a 4 or 6 pack instead, and choose those.

Harnkus likes this.
  29. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

Dude, every time I go to the store to get a sixer, I end up with two sixers, and 3 or four bombers. It's a sickness haha

30. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois

Same issue here. It is difficult being in such a great market like Chicagoland area where you have so much exposure to so many great beers year-round.

31. illinikap

illinikap Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Illinois

Yup, definitely makes it hard in Chicago with a new Pipeworks or Spiteful releases almost every week.

32. ASTMONATE

ASTMONATE Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2014 Illinois

This is most certainly a shared "problem" with most Craft Beer Enthusiasts. I always have my biggest issues when I am out of town and find myself combing shelves full of beer that I don't see in my distro footprint. I know for a fact that I'm walking out of that store at least $200 lighter...and still leaving stuff on the shelf that I would grab if given unlimited funds.

33. AndyEdgar

AndyEdgar Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2014 Illinois

Definitely have this problem. For shits and giggles I looked at my credit card statement for the last 3-4 months...about 30% of my expenses were at Binny's Beverage Depot.

34. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

Try living in Portland OR. my friend and see where $10 gets you, That would be no where, Upright, Deschutes, Commons, Logdsdon, Full Sail, and dare I go on, I can walk into Total Wine and drop a $100 and wonder what the hell happened as im walking out the door. Buying beer sucks but damn it taste good!!

MartzMimic likes this.
  35. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

I walked into my shop looking for the Expedition Stout that I knew was there. It was in the back room - 3 cases, and someone had laid claim to ALL of them. Over $70 a case... in my panic I agreed to buy 1 case since I knew they'd get more in. I am not a rich man. But DAMN I love me some Expo.

36. horsehockey

horsehockey Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

Craft beer gets me every time. I go in for a 4-6 pack and leave with several big bottles and a few 6 packs. The latest trip I finally found Saison Brett. Naturally I had to buy at least 2 one to drink, and one to cellar $25. Then I notice Boulevard did a collaboration with Ommegang so again I can't buy just one.... so it continues...

37. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

Me too

38. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

!

39. Fox82791

Fox82791 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 New York

I know myself well enough to know I can't go into the store unless I have a good amount of $ to spend

crob3888 likes this.
  40. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,880) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I work 2 jobs, kids are grown, girlfriend and I DO NOT share finances...and I have no other real hobbies (except for gambling on college/pro football), so I fortunately don't share your plight...that said, I really do spend too much on beer, especially now that I've got into on-line buying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.