Anyone else remember the first review?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, May 23, 2020.

1. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,825) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

Tonight I hit my 2,000 formal review and about another 390 ratings. I sill remember my first almost 10 years ago. It was Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Fritz & Ken’s Imperial Stout. One of the worst reviews in history, but I really liked that beer and I tried. Would love to hear about others first time.

Junior, Amendm, ElmerLovejoy and 12 others like this.
  2. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,099) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I actually do not, but I did sort my ratings/reviews by date and found some interesting non-recollections:
    • My first rating/review was by Mad Fox (batch 100), which closed last year
    • Double Jack was an early review, which I re-reviewed a couple times to get it to its current state
    • First beer I don't recognize at all: my 10th review of Sam Adams' Backwoods. Anyone?
    • Big surprise: my 11th rating was of Another One from Maine Beer Company - I would not have thought I had it that early in my beer journey (I'm pretty sure my review was not made at the same time)
    I also recall writing reviews before I started posting on NBS. At some point I looked up those early NBS posts and assumed people could easily look up the reviews I had posted, so I gave very little more than the beer's name. Oh, how things have changed since then.

Junior, Amendm, SawDog505 and 6 others like this.
  3. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,969) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

February 18 2012 - Arrogant Bastard Double Dry Hopped.

I didn’t mention my baby mama or a Kardashian. It’s probably my most plain review. That being said, it was the birth of Raul, and that’s all that matters.

FBarber, Junior, Amendm and 10 others like this.
  4. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,403) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Anyone else write their first review on Wychwood Ginger Beard? I thought not.

FBarber, Junior, Amendm and 8 others like this.
  5. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,136) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

My first review was Bourbon County in 2013. It was actually embarrassing to read.

FBarber, Junior, Amendm and 5 others like this.
  6. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Defender (678) Apr 5, 2009 Oregon

The Fritz & Ken's was some solid stuff. Would love to see a re-release of that entire 30th Anniversary line-up!

7. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Savant (942) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Southern Tier Imperial Cherry Gose.
    @Bluecrow 's review was the only one to that point , so prompted me to put in my 2c. Figured that however bad that the review might be, it would be of more help to a prospective imbiber of the beer, than not doing it. :rolling_eyes::wink:
    [​IMG]

Amendm, SawDog505, Peach63 and 4 others like this.
  8. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,103) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Congrats!. I only remember mine because of the lengths I took to get it back to the states. Loks like it might have been expunged for not enough reviews. Kneitnger (sp) Dopplebock from Regensburg, DE

mikeinportc, Junior, Amendm and 2 others like this.
  9. zid

zid Meyvn (1,165) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I miss the days of being able to buy unusual English beers over here.

Ozzylizard, Amendm, SawDog505 and 5 others like this.
  10. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,969) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I would prefer if the subject read “Their” instead of “The” First Review. I went into this thinking I was going to read the first ever beer reviewed on BA. If the OP doesn’t mind, what do you say about changing it, @Shanex ?

Junior, Amendm, SawDog505 and 5 others like this.
  11. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,522) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I believe mine was in 2003, and it was San Miguel. Not sure why I felt it necessary to start off with that one. Pretty sure it's a lousy review.

mikeinportc, Junior, Amendm and 4 others like this.
  12. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (5,441) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

I began actually reviewing, and not only rating, on January 21st, 2017. The first one was Lorelei by Omnipollo, and I just figured I'd try to put words to my experience. I was a bit intimidated, since English is not my first language, but I decided just to go for it. Reading it today, it's in line with how I review now, but I feel like I pick up more nuances now, for obvious reasons. I'm sitting on 2213 reviews with 862 additional ratings, for 3075 beers in total. And I'm not done yet.

mikeinportc, Junior, Amendm and 12 others like this.
  13. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (387) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Ha, two years ago. Schlenkerla. How can one *not* review something so unique after their first time? Can't imagine climbing into the thousands.

14. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,054) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My first review, which also served as a potential shelf-talker wherever needed, was for Young's Oatmeal Stout- and Ramrod and London Special Ale. This was about 1990. I learned early on that folks love information I miss these beers.

mikeinportc, Amendm, woemad and 5 others like this.
  15. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,242) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

4.17/5 rDev +1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

poured from a 12 oz. bottle nice tan head.
    great pine notes as well as citrus ,earthy and has good balance
    good hop bitterness clear and sharp.
    medium mouthfeel, zesty.
    overall a great beer worth getting again.

Probably rated too high, but it was very good. Spring of 2015. I am not a very good reviewer, it is mainly for my recollections.

mikeinportc, Amendm, woemad and 5 others like this.
  16. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (128) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

I know it is me, but I could not care less about my reviews. I use other peoples reviews as a guide for beer I've never had, but who cares?

woemad and SawDog505 like this.
  17. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,358) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

2053 formal reviews and 750 ratings on top of that. My first review was Bell's 25th Anniversary Ale. Though my vocabulary was certainly limited back in 2011 and I focus on things that are kind of arbitrary, the review isn't super cringey. It's worth noting that I haven't reviewed a beer in over 2 years, don't even rate beers anymore. Got to be too much to keep up with and I felt like I wasn't growing anymore as a reviewer.

18. traction

traction Zealot (531) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

My first review was Old Rasputin around ~2008 which predates me joining this site. Old Rasputin gets sole credit for turning me onto craft beer which eventually led me joining this site. Most of my reviews are just personal notes saved on my computer that I never bothered posting on BA or Untappd. The reviews I have ever posted online are a small fraction of beers I have reviewed.

19. traction

Society Trader

After you drink a ton of beers the thoughts on a specific beer can start to fade. Your palate also changes over time. It can be interesting to review a beer and drink it again a few years later and compare notes between the two. Personally I care a lot more about my own personal reviews than anyone's else opinions. It is my tastebuds I care the most about and I have had quite a few whales that the community called world class that simply didn't live up to the hype for me so I am hesitant to put much faith in what other people have to say although I do still read reviews from others.

20. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,681) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I'm pretty sure Founders Breakfast Stout is the beer that tipped me over into the rating/reviewing territory. I had tried a bunch of beers before that from Sam Adams and some other regional breweries in mixed 12 packs and stuff found in local stores, and I used to go on here and refer to beers before I signed up and started posting or rating for a while, and after seeing Founders Breakfast Stout, such a good top rated stout on here, and then seeing it on the drink menu at a restaurant at the time, I had to try it before I even found it in stores that following Fall after really getting into craft beers. I haven't had it in a while actually, but I still love it every time I do. Pure chocolate, oats and coffee. And now it is a year-round.

21. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,127) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Couldn't recall so I took a look at my reviews (my first review was before BA but no shot I remember that unless I can find that old notebook).

Looks like it was a Fullers 1845, rated 4.14.

Congrats on #2000!

22. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,153) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Was it the Dark?

woemad likes this.
  23. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,554) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I don’t even want to reread it as it’s certainly awful and pathetic, but first review might have been in early 2016 a few months after joining BA.

I mostly rate beers, I’m not that great at reviews either even after four years, but I put some effort into a New Beer Sunday post every now and then.

24. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,153) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Quail Springs IPA from Deschutes.

3.9/5 rDev -0.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

Nice English style IPA with the balance between the hops and malt that I expected. I think somebody else called it a good session IPA. I agree. If you're looking for a ton of IBUs that knock your socks off, Quail Springs isn't what you want. I feel it's a good comparable IPA to the Portland Woodstock.

Best regards,
    Bill

325 characters

25. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,242) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Just noticed the actual beer was not copied. It was smuttynose finestkind. Sorry for that.

26. Peach63

Peach63 Devotee (430) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society

At 10 months, I'm still a newbie here and I don't even remember my first without checking. :thinking_face::smiley:

27. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (1,950) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Old Brick Alt from the Kutztown Tavern in Kutztown Pa, 2011. Raved more about the fish & chips than the beer.

mikeinportc, Amendm and JSullivan like this.
  28. Hornet2003

Hornet2003 Devotee (423) Jan 26, 2006 British Columbia (Canada)

Yup. Surprisingly, after drinking all this beer, I still remember the circumstances of almost every review. First for me was a local winter ale that I had previously drunk for a few years, but never thought much of it other than it “tastes good”. Well, almost 14 years later (first review was Nov. 2006), I still go back to that beer every winter. The nostalgia it brings is similar to the memories of those first few reviews. Good times.

29. Soneast

Soneast Champion (828) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

First was Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale in 2008. I dinged an oktoberfest for not having much "spiciness" in one of my early reviews.

30. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,859) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

My first official review here, although I'd been drinking and enjoying beer for a bit by then, was Allagash Tripel.

Reading through the review in hindsight, I wouldn't change the rating at all. It's a little sparse on specific flavors, but numbers-wise and overall impression, I completely agree with it today.

Some of my other early beer reviews, perhaps not so much.

31. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,103) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

6/3/2010, Stone Sublimely Self Righteous ale. It was super short at the time, a few sentences. I did end up deleting it and redoing the review in 2012. Still not up to my "today standards" but better than it was. Too bad they don't make it anymore, but I have always wanted to homebrew a batch of it! Will have to do that with the pandemic lockdown and all.

Also congrats on your milestone @SawDog505.

#31 superspak, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
  32. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,944) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

My first was Samuel Smith Russian Imperial Stout, Thanksgiving 2010. First Imperial Stout I ever had, gave it a perfect 5 score as I thought it was the best thing I’ve ever tasted in a beer. since I’ve dialed it back to a 4.78, but it never fails to deliver even to this day.

mikeinportc, Amendm and SawDog505 like this.
  33. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (3,686) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

Ha....my first (without looking, I'm pretty confident by memory) was a ridiculously high score for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Enthusiastically and excitedly entered as soon as I created my account on here, written from memory rather than with the beer in front of me...

I maintain it's a fantastic example of a Pale Ale, but probably not earning the score I gave it.

Thousands of new beers later...I really ought to get a fresh sixer and revisit. I haven't had it in at least five years.

34. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,522) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Yes, it was. I'm not certain, now, if I've ever actually had any other San Miguel.

Bitterbill likes this.
  35. traction

Society Trader

Sorry for going off topic but were you able to get your hands on some more Ghost in the Machine? Both it and Substance are around in my area right now but it is all draft only at the moment no cans around. Straying ever further off topic did you try the recent Allagash x Creature Comforts collab Belgium IPA? I only ask since Allagash Tripel was your first review.

Amendm and Roguer like this.
  36. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,201) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Sam Adam's Black Lager back almost 13 years ago...oddly enough I remember it...I was drinking heavy with my brother and found this website....here we are all these years later....

SawDog505, mikeinportc and Amendm like this.
  37. arizcards

arizcards Poo-Bah (4,252) Jun 11, 2003 Arizona
    Society

I do from back in 2003, it was Deschutes Black Butte Porter. I was visiting my brother in Idaho Falls Idaho and he took me to a regional beer festival and absolutely loved it! We bought a sixer the next day and i did my first review from that brew. The festival itself opened up my beer world extensively, having only been limited to grocery stores at the time. Cheers!

38. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,859) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I can get Ghost fairly regularly down in Jax; I just bought the last 4-pack at my "local" yesterday.

I don't see any Bissell Brothers down here. I do see Allagash fairly regularly, but haven't seen an Allagash/CC collab - actually, the first I've heard about it! I'll definitely look it up now, though, thanks! :grinning:

Bitterbill, Amendm and traction like this.
  39. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,799) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Oberon was my first review, not sure what year.

40. SuperGrover

SuperGrover Initiate (44) Jun 24, 2018 Minnesota

I just did mine very recently: Schell’s Cream Ale. My score for it ended up much lower than what I really think of it. It’s a solid beer that I would drink plenty of, but doesn’t have a “wow” factor. It will take me a while to be able to give the reviews that most of you are able to give. Still, I appreciate all the information I can get about beers from reading your reviews. Thanks, all!

SawDog505, mikeinportc and Amendm like this.