Anyone Enjoy Beer Barrel Whiskey

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 57md, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,983) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I know that there are a ton of BA's (including myself) that love whiskey barrel-aged beer, but has anyone tried beer barrel-aged whiskey?

I bought a bottle of Jameson Caskmates on my last trip to the liquor store. The whiskey was aged in stout barrels from the Franciscan Well Microbrewery in Cork, Ireland. My first pour was neat and I noticed little difference from the standard Jameson. I added a few splashes of slightly-below room temp water to my second pour and it opened up the flavors for sure. I got some stout essence on the nose and definite roasted stout bitterness upfront in the flavor.

None of the flavors were extraordinary and I will likely not repeat this purchase (I tend to prefer bourbon and scotch to Irish whiskey). However, it got me thinking that some of the premier breweries could/should think about entering a barrel exchange program with some of the premier distilleries. The product could be absolutely amazing!

Thoughts?

2. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I have heard of this and I think that turnabout is fair play! I would love to try it.

3. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Poo-Bah (1,774) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society

4. qchic

qchic Defender (641) Jul 6, 2004 Maryland

I bought a bottle of Jameson's Caskmates on a lark, and find it okay but not earth shattering. A bit more flavor goes in the other direction, obviously.

Hopped whiskey caught my eye on the shelf (and I believe hop vodka exists, but I prefer whiskey any day). The price was reasonable, so I'm curious. Would anyone recommend hopped spirits?

5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,741) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

6. Iamatool

Iamatool Initiate (50) Nov 20, 2015 Maryland

I tried a great Whiskey from Abraham Bowman out of Virginia, it was a small batch bourbon finished in a gingerbread beer barrel from Hardywood. It was delicious, standard vanilla and caramel notes with a nice fall spice finish. I been trying to get my hands on more, no such luck.

7. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,313) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

I have heard that this is becoming big now. I am scared to try because I am not a huge bourbon fan(although I like it in my barrel-aged beer). I guess I would try it once. Do you think that the beer flavor really comes through and is noticeable in a whiskey !???

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,741) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

No, I have not read where anyone things the beer flavor comes through other than maybe a strong, separate flavor that might have been used to flavor the beer itself, like the gingerbread taste that @Iamatool mentioned above.

Go to the micro-distiller and try it for yourself instead of plopping down $35 for a bottle of something that you don't like.

hophugger likes this.
  9. JaefromLA

JaefromLA Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 California

If you're into this kind of thing check out Seven Stills Whiskey. It's craft beer inspired. With adjunct like coffee and such. I have yet to try it so can't give it a thumbs up or down.

10. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon Crusader (712) Aug 26, 2015 Canada

Interesting idea it would be neat to try, but the truth is, I'm gonna stay away from whiskey for awhile :slight_frown: There's just to many beers to try and not enough time and every time I drink beer and whiskey in the same day, bad things happen! Tell me what you guys think of it lol.

Harrison8 likes this.
  11. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,050) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I got big into bourbon for a bit, but quickly got out of it for other reasons. I still have two nearly full bottles of Jim Bean and Buffalo Trace laying around. If I didn't, I'd consider picking up the Caskmates. I like the sounds of it. I've never had plain Jamesons though, so I'm not sure I would pick up any of the stout subtleties.

CanadianBacon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.