Anyone had a FW Ababcus recently?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by beernuts, Jun 6, 2017.

1. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (383) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I have one that I've been dying to drink but I don't get to the high abv beers very often any more, and I'm wondering how its holding up. Its a 2011 and has been cellared properly, in an actual cellar until about a year ago, in a wine fridge since.

2. arizcards

arizcards Poo-Bah (2,879) Jun 11, 2003 Arizona
    Subscriber

I have not but my experience with FW is that if you expect a big bourbon flavor to not go past 3-4 years cellared. With that said I suspect it should be drinking quite nicely still. Cheers!

beernuts likes this.
  3. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,070) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I had one in February that had been mostly fridge stored and it was sublime, if past prime. I would imagine a "properly" cellared one will show a bit more age. I.e., still good, but more past prime. The warmer it's been stored, the less good it will show. My personal opinion would be to drink sooner rather than later, and I'd expect it to be good, and better or worse depending on how sensitive you are to oxidative flavors.

beernuts likes this.
  4. beerhan

beerhan Defender (612) Apr 28, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I had one in May and am still waiting to crack my last couple bottles. It tastes fantastic still, less heat more chewy caramel. My bottles have been sitting around 63 F since 2011. There is still barrel coming through however I wouldn't age it too much longer, it's at the point where I don't see any improvement happening

beernuts likes this.
  5. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (383) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the replies everyone, I figured it was past its prime, but its good to hear that its not falling off hard yet. I plan to drink it ASAP.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.