Anyone Missing a Box?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by kcbaby, Jun 25, 2020.

1. kcbaby

kcbaby Initiate (188) Jun 30, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is a strange occurrence, but has anyone lost a box ship from St. Louis? I received a shipment that used a box I have used before myself, but it seems the label was either never applied or was torn off by the courier. It is not for me or anyone I know.

If you did, PM me the beers you lost to validate it, and we'll figure out a way to ship it to its proper destination. The tracking is no help since it reused my old number and barcode.

2. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (705) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Fascinating! And good on you for reaching out. Any chance you can recall roughly when the box was used? Maybe reaching out to BAs you completed a trade with around that time might hit a bullseye...

3. kcbaby

Trader

I last used it in November of last year to send a box to my brother, and he's not exactly sure where he then sent it. We have no clues other than it's from STL.

It's very likely it was from a trade not completed on BA, but through some other outlet.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  4. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (705) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Enough people on here are on FB too. Maybe someone can put a word out in one of the StL trade groups there. I avoid FB like the plague, so it can't be me. Good luck!

5. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (454) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

6. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (205) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

The box? The cardboard one? With the corners? Ah, I knew I left that somewhere, thanks for finding it!! Hit me up so you can send me the beer, appreciate it man. Case closed.

7. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (117) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

I got a box sent from CA to IL that is currently MIA. AND had 1 completely destroyed. Both USPS. I've used them for hundreds of boxes with no issue until now.

Rustytacos likes this.
  8. kcbaby

Trader

Never really used USPS, but sucks they recently became bad. Shipping is strange now.

9. kcbaby

Trader

The label that was used originated from my brother shipping to me. It's an old label on a box that has been passed around. Somehow the label/tracking was used twice. It has a non MO address on the ship from that actually originated in STL.

10. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Aspirant (236) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

What city and state was actually on the label ( the from)? Why not try to contact the person who sent it? From what I’m reading the person probably wrote his from info on the box and then purchased a label at usps and that label came off exposing your old label. However the from address isn’t where the box came from because the tracking number says it came from STL. Unless I’m misunderstanding you, it shouldn’t be that difficult to find the person who sent the box using the reverse lookup on white pages online or google the address. The original shipper may have had someone else ship the box for them hence the conflicting info on where it came from. Another question is there no name on the package? Keep us updated and hopefully this box finds its home.

Just another helpful tip for you shippers out there: take off the old label before you ship and make sure you tape over your labels and all info. If you wrote on the box taping over it will prevent smearing but I always use printed labels at home and tape over the whole thing. Also for usps boxes, they offer free boxes/supplies and can order online to home/work delivery for free. No need to reuse old boxes and in top of that they offer free pick up.

11. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (278) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

FWIW, the OP tried and was a dead end. For those that ship out a ton of boxes, it's not easy to remember when you shipped a used box .

I do see some advantage to keeping older labels. If the main label is ripped off (I do tape over the label to prevent accidental damage) , the box is sent into a blackhole, and basically impossible to retrieve. At least in this case, the box was redirected to someone . Printing (I send too many boxes to write by hand) the ship address on the box is also a good idea.

12. kcbaby

Trader

To lay it out differently: the box I received is a box I have used before to send stuff to my brother. He then sent it back to me, and I then used the box again to send elsewhere. The box was used again by someone else or more than one other person, but the label that my brother initially used to ship to me was the exposed one that FedEx used for this misdirected shipment. I do not know if this shipper ever even applied a label.

We have tried tracking down whoever may have had the box after we had it (including people we recall sending boxes to), but we haven't come up with anything. Posting here and on other forums is a last-ditch effort after more direct contact with more likely suspects.

unlikelyspiderperson and jhavs like this.
  13. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 Devotee (459) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

This is an interesting conversation to follow. I’m surprised that there isn’t something in the FedEx system that says, “this tracking number has already been delivered” or something to that affect when an old barcode is scanned. What do I know though, I only work for a software company :slight_smile:

unlikelyspiderperson and rmpic82 like this.
  14. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (278) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Nah, that doesn't stop them. One time my buddy sent me old label's .(previously used) . FedEx just updated to a new tracking and delivered as usual.

15. capnmike

capnmike Initiate (188) Dec 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

@tristana123 @Osubucks any idea?

Kidding aside, this thread is awesome and basically the opposite of that thread.

16. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,633) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Maybe I'm over simplifying things, but regardless of the label and bar code, I would think that FedEx would have a record of the box delivery in their computer tracking system. If this were me, I would try contacting FedEx and mention that you received a gift box from a friend that you're having a difficult time figuring out the origin. I would even mention that it appears the original label was lost or torn off. Usually, the destination arrival date and address are in their tracking system... so I would think that if you supplied them your address and receipt date, they should be able to tell who the individual (or account) was that paid for shipment of the box. The fact that you're fairly sure the box came from StL should make that even easier for them.

I have to think FedEx has information regarding who paid for shipment of the box. With all the information you have available, I would think FedEx would be able to tell you who that was if you supplied that information to them.

MattOC likes this.
  17. kcbaby

Trader

My brother was charged for the shipment. When I called FedEx, the only traceability they could perform was that the box was scanned by a driver in STL and then shipped to me. There is no evidence of who dropped it off, or if it was picked up at a business. In their system, I was always the intended recipient, which makes me think no new label was ever applied.

When I say posting here is a latch ditch effort, I really do mean I have exhausted all other options. FedEx generates and maintains a lot of data, but they were unable to tell me who the shipper actually was.