Anyone seen a confirmed lineup for Sam Adams Winter Classics?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by davedog_7, Oct 15, 2020.

1. davedog_7

davedog_7 Initiate (95) Jun 26, 2017 Georgia

assuming they're going to continue on with the ridiculous 'format' the adopted last year, which has Boston Lager and '76.

If it still has Old Fezziwig, I'll probably pop for one, but I really wish they'd go back to how they used to do it, with 6 styles and no '76.

I guess they felt they were losing money, but I haven't purchased the fall pack in 2 years due to their approach, and will buy maybe 1 winter pack again this year. Used to buy 3-4 of each before they changed it for the worse.

Anyway, rant over, just wondering.

2. jgido759

jgido759 Disciple (307) Oct 7, 2014 New Jersey

From what I am hearing, Old Fezziwig is definitely missing from this year's Winter Classic. It will only be available at the Sam Adams Tap House and brewery.

It is also missing from their web site under "Seasonal Brews". . .

#2 jgido759, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    ChicagoJ and AlcahueteJ like this.
  3. DCH

DCH Aspirant (251) Jun 12, 2013 New York

I know it's a REAL long shot, but chocolate bock and black lager would be a Christmas miracle:beers:

Lucular, Ranbot, sefus12 and 6 others like this.
  4. jgido759

Total Wine has an image of the box on their web site, and this is what it shows:

Boston Lager
    Sam 76
    Winter Lager
    Holiday White Ale
    American IPA
    Holiday Porter

AlcahueteJ and DCH like this.
  5. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,286) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Pass again.

BL
    Winter Lager
    Old Fezziwig
    Holiday Porter
    And whatever bullshit for the last two slots.

Really they should just put those four out.

6. DCH

DCH Aspirant (251) Jun 12, 2013 New York

Yeah, that sounds about right... another pass this year, for me at least.

7. Runnerhiker

Runnerhiker Initiate (44) Jun 4, 2019 North Carolina

That's a disappointment. When are they going to just admit defeat with Sam 76?

I also really miss their Scotch Ale. One of my all time favorite Winter beers.

8. davedog_7

Dang, no Fezziwig? Hard pass. Holiday Porter is fine, but not anywhere near worth buying the whole pack.

That's really disappointing. Thanks for the info.

9. AWA

AWA Disciple (326) Jul 22, 2014 California

I really can't remember the last time I bought anything from Sam Adams. I feel kinda bad, because I realize how important they are to craft beer, but they've just been so boring for the last few years. And I think I'm being generous with the word few. Maybe I'll spring for a Utopia someday and make it up to them. Pretty sure it will just let me down to though.

10. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (497) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Heard it’s BL, Sam 76, Twisted Tea, and Winter Lager.

KentT, WCKDVBZ, ChicagoJ and 3 others like this.
  11. soarinsteven

soarinsteven Initiate (75) Sep 20, 2020 Illinois

That's a real shame. My dad and I look forward to Old Fezziwig every year. Add me to the list of people who wish they'd stop placing Sam 76 in all their variety packs.

ChicagoJ and mogulskier like this.
  12. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,616) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

If you happen to swing by Boston or live in MA, they’ll likely sell Fezziwig in four packs of 16 oz. cans from the tap room in Faneuil Hall like they did last year.

I think they put Cream Stout in one year which I think fits. Also Chocolate Bock was always welcoming.

Don’t forget Truly!

Honestly they could make a winter pack with Truly, Twisted Tea, Angry Orchard, Boston Lager, Sam ‘76, and Old Fezziwig and I might buy it over this years.

13. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (644) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I wonder how sales would go if Fezziwig was released as seasonal 4-pack. Of course there would be a premium price on it, but the people who over the years were buying a winter seasonal mix 12 just for Fezziwig were already paying a premium.

AlcahueteJ, DCH and MrOH like this.
  14. adrock314

adrock314 Zealot (550) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'm told 76 and New England IPA are going to be updated and reintroduced so hopefully this is the last time 76 ends up in seasonal variety packs. Supposedly Sam is going to move those 2 beers to a new line marketed to be more contemporary and/or hip, but still be under the SA nameplate. Or that could be bad info and completely incorrect :grimacing:

ChicagoJ and AlcahueteJ like this.
  15. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Poo-Bah (2,124) Dec 7, 2010 Idaho
    Society Trader

Came in here to post that if they offered the Cream Stout and Chocolate Bock I’d buy two cases. You beat me too it.

I like those two brews a lot, nostalgia from my beginnings in craft beer...

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  16. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,447) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Not sure if I will ever buy them again. Not sure what market they are shooting for, but they seem soul/rudderless. That or they have just quit this market

MaltheadWeirdo likes this.
  17. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (337) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm confused, their seasonal packs have been four beers for a while now but this one is six? If this is legit maybe this is one of those certain retailers only packs?

18. davedog_7

They've been slowly pulling their secondary beers off the shelves.

Irish Red, Cream Stout, and even Boston Ale have all but gone away, at least where I am. They still list Boston Ale on their website, but I haven't seen it in months at the largest stores in my area where I used to always be able to find it.

Now, if they were flat-out losing money on these (along w/ the 'traditional' Winter Classics packs from a few years back), then of course they have to do what they have to do.

If they thought they could sell other beers better or felt a change in the winds and wanting to stay ahead of things, then shame on them.

Regardless, I may buy a 6-pack of BL once or twice a year, but that will be it. Used to buy one of their beers just about every time I stocked up for the week/weekend.

AlcahueteJ and Runnerhiker like this.
  19. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (360) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

Last year they released the Winter pack with 6: fezzi, porter, chocolate bock, winter lager, Boston lager, and 76. I think prior to that the Fall pack was only 4 (could be wrong). I was hoping for that same offering this year without 76.

Anyways, I'll be another who does not buy it this year. Last year the Winter pack was the only one I bought and I bought a few packs, but I will not do it this year if Old Fezziwig is replaced with an IPA and 76 is still there. Unbelievable......

ChicagoJ, AlcahueteJ and Runnerhiker like this.
  20. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (337) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Ah okay, I didn't realize that. Odd that all seasonal packs are four beers except for winter; this year summer and fall were definitely four beers. I don't buy SA anymore but they have had end displays at the stores I shop in so it caught my attention.

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  21. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,467) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

It's been years since SA made a seasonal pack that I wanted to buy. I used to buy the Fall and Winter every year. This seems to be the general consensus if you watch the reaction to their social media posts. It seems like they are moving to accommodate the casual light lager drinkers, rather than the craft beer fans, which would probably explain why their hard cider, seltzer and hard tea now outsell their beers.

WCKDVBZ, ChicagoJ, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  22. jgido759

Damn. . . I was just in Revere, MA this past weekend. Wish I knew.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  23. davedog_7

Not to belabor the point/thread, but I got a 6-pack of their Winter Lager. Noticed it's now 'brighter and crisper' or whatever it said.

in the fridge now, and hoping when I try one in a couple hours I don't find that they've eff'd that up, too.

24. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,616) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

It would be cool if they named this side project “Benedict Arnold”.

The Cream Stout is still a regular offering. Could be near you, use the beer finder on their site.

Well I bought that around February. I doubt it’s out quite, yet, but I suppose it could be. Nice tap room regardless, worth swinging through, and I THINK the roof deck is open too.

I got that four pack last year for $17 if I recall correctly. I can double check my post on here about it. Not sure if beer geeks would buy a Sam seasonal for that price.

ZlaVydra, ChicagoJ and Scotchboy like this.
  25. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,358) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

I used to love SA Winter Lager but it has really changed over the years. My review from 2004 noted the ABV at 6.94%. Now it is down to 5.6%. SA's website describes the beer as a "Spiced Wheat Bock." Can it even be considered a Bock at that low of an ABV? Either way, the beer is clearly a shell of its former self.

I might pick up a single of it this year just to try it but I'm not buying a full sixer or that horrendous Winter Classics pack. Sam '76 isn't a bad beer it just has no place in the seasonal packs. Bring back the Fezz, Double Bock, Chocolate Bock, Cream Stout... hell, I'd even take back that Cranberry Lambic over a '76 or an IPA in there. :astonished:

26. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,695) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Whoa baby! That statement does indeed deserve the :astonished: emoji. :wink:

Cheers!

Jacobier10 likes this.
  27. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,358) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Haha! I knew I'd stir up trouble with that comment. Bringing back traumatic memories for you? :grin:

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  28. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,859) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Not to go off topic but I havent purchased anything from SA since I can remember. If they brewed the Hallertau Imperial Pilsner again I would buy it for sure. One of the best they ever brewed IMHO

Elfastball7, ChicagoJ and AlcahueteJ like this.
  29. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,324) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

To not put the Fezziwig in the Winter classics, or even available as a 4/6pk, is just bad marketing strategy. This is why I've seen the steady decline of SA products being promoted by me. The holidays is a time I've found that non-craft folks tend to try a different beer. What they are doing is diluting their differentiation from all the other options available.

30. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (822) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I have not bought a winter pack from Sam as it never looks like anything I want.

I do really wish SN would bring the winter pack back. Those packs always had solid beers even if SNPA was always in there. I would drive down to DE and grad a few packs each of winter and celebration. I love the coffee stout.

Enjoy

31. MaltheadWeirdo

MaltheadWeirdo Initiate (52) Nov 18, 2015 Pennsylvania

I don't actually mind '76, but what the hell is an IPA (unless it's barleywine-strength...) doing in a winter pack, when they have so many other beers they could've brewed?

32. RickBelgique

RickBelgique Initiate (69) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois

Adding to the confusion. As previously stated, the Winter Packs have always had 6 beers. EXCEPT for the Winter Pack that was sold at Costco a few years back. That had 4 beers. But only the Costco Winter Pack. Everybody else had Winter Packs with 6 varieties.

Add me to the list of people passing on the Winter Pack this year. Sam 76 and American IPA are not winter beers. And without Old Fezziwig, it just ain't worth buying.

33. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,332) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

I gave up on their seasonal boxes years ago. I suggest you do the same.

ChicagoJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  34. Jbuitron

Jbuitron Initiate (70) Sep 11, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

35. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,548) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

So how long until all their seasonals are just the same 4 beers in every pack?

I understand throwing Boston Lager in every mixed pack, but '76?

ChicagoJ, ESHBG and RickBelgique like this.
  36. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Initiate (140) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

I have not bought a Sam Adams since it had the Cranberry Lambic (for the wife) and Old Fezzi.
    That variety pack used to be a yearly holiday tradition. No longer.
    I just have to brew my own version of Old Fezzi to get me by.
    The new holiday variety pack is a joke.

37. drocpsu

drocpsu Initiate (184) Dec 25, 2006 New Hampshire

Bummer. The winter mixed pack was always a solid selection. I usually looked forward to having some Fezzis, Chocolate Bocks and Holiday Porters in the cold weather months. I used to like the Winter Lagers, but I liked it less and less as the years went on. Without Fezziwig or Chocolate Bock, I won’t be buying a pack this year.

jgido759, PapaGoose03 and ChicagoJ like this.
  38. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (360) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

Looks like their 24 packs will have the same format from what I saw on Facebook. Not sure if it's usually the same as 12 packs or not, because I don't get the cases in my area.