Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Germany ARD video about Uerige

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Gutes_Bier, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Gutes_Bier

Nothing super special in here. The angle seems to be "He who hasn't been to Uerige, doesn't know Düsseldorf." It helps to understand German, but just looking at the beer and the pub is also good. Stopping in Zum Uerige for a Sticke Tag is still one of my fondest memories of drinking in Germany. Great beer, great place. This was posted to Uerige's Facebook page, which is where I saw it.

- I can't seem to get the video embedded, so I'll just post the link:

http://www.ardmediathek.de/das-erste/ard-buffet/uerige-hausbrauerei?documentId=16974214

boddhitree and herrburgess like this.
  2. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Weyermann malt and whole leaf hops. Awesome. That place really is a must-see for anyone interested in German beer.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  3. Slam_Dunkels

Fixed, because it's that good.

Gutes_Bier and herrburgess like this.
  4. steveh

With some fun research, here's a great article explaining the translation as well as the rivalry.

seanyfo and Gutes_Bier like this.
  5. hopfenunmaltz

Good use of a hop sack to pour in the whole hops. I have seen them shovel the malt into the bins to wheel out. The malt is dumped right near the Herren WC door. Alas, never saw the front end of the process.

6. Gutes_Bier

Thanks for sharing! Just because it will bother me if I don't say it, "alt" does mean "old", but in relation to food (or beer) a better translation is "stale". I once asked a German teacher what the word for "stale" is and she couldn't think of one. They just refer to the food in question as "alt". So "drink it before it becomes stale" is a better translation, but the pun remains "alt" vs "Alt". Likewise, Uerige's "Alles andere ist Alt" is sort of a double-pun, "Everything else is stale" or "Everything else is (generic) Alt".

7. steveh

Verdorben?

8. Gutes_Bier

Had to Google Translate that one. Sounds like that is better describing eggs, meat, or something else that could be harmful to consume if too old (i.e., spoiled). The best I saw when I Google Translated "stale" was "abgestanden", but from what I have been told they just say "alt".

herrburgess likes this.
  9. steveh

Never had a verdorben MGD have you? :D

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  10. boddhitree

Actually, you're all wrong. Stale in German is schal (and obviously the origin of the English word stale.) Had to ask my girlfriend on that one. Verdorben means to "go bad," or "spoiled" as in milk or meat. It's also used to describe kids who are spoiled.

The "Uerige." Alles anders ist Alt, refers to a play on words… urig (Uerig is an old variation on its spelling) means quaint, old-fashioned (read = old), and the original, as is THE original. In other words, everything else is just old, not REALLY old and ancient, like Uerige.

In the video, they mention that the original owner was nicknamed the urige because he was so gruff and unpleasant at times, like an "crotchety old man," so they said "let's go drink at the Uerige's place," the customers were referring to this guy, and the name stuck. In other words, they transferred the nickname from him to the bar. Long time ago when there were many Alt Kneipen, they all made Alt, so this was just a way to differentiate them, which we're lucky still exists and been handed down to us through history to today. In fact the term Alt is relatively modern, new, mainly to differentiate the beer form Pils.

Personally, I prefer zum Füchsen and Schlussel Alt to Uerige.

JackHorzempa, seanyfo and Gutes_Bier like this.
  11. steveh

But, of course.

:rolleyes:

12. Stahlsturm

Yeah, but he IS correct :)

13. steveh

Funny, because I learned Schal (obviously the origin of the English word shawl) as a scarf or shawl. Hmm.

Makes no difference anymore, I'm always wrong. Immer gerade aus.

14. Stahlsturm

"Schal" as a noun means scarf, you are absolutely correct. "Schal" as an adjective means stale. German has many such double meanings where the same word can mean wildly different things and the only way to figure out which one it is is context. Trust me, my wife complains about it all the time and rather vocally too :D

15. FrankenBier

Back in the day their base malt was Durst Pilsner Malt and Weyermann Carafa (probably Carafa III but I honestly don't remember) was used for color.

I'll be there again for Sticke next month -- as I have for every year since 1998 :) (Counting the four times they saved us a keg because we came later in the year).

16. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Maybe that's still the malt bill, and they just use the Weyermann Carafa sack for the hops! Enjoy the Sticke...and the regular Alt. That place is really magical.

EDIT: watching again I could swear that Weyermann sack says Weizenmalz.

17. FrankenBier

Could be -- they do brew a wheat beer.

Back 15 years ago they had a compressed air system for "injecting" the hops into kettle at the precise time. But I think it wasn't reliable enough and they went back to more "old fashioned" methods :)

boddhitree likes this.
  18. Gutes_Bier

This reminds me of a funny story...I went up to Düsseldorf for a January Sticke Tag, knowing nothing about anything. So I had a Sticke and liked it and decided to try their regular Alt. So I asked the Köbes for an Alt and he politely said, "that was the Alt". I said, "well that was the Sticke, right? I just want the regular Alt." He politely informed me that when it's Sticke Tag, all they serve is the Sticke. Unless I wanted the wheat beer. I politely ordered another Sticke. His body language suggested that he wanted to whomp me over the head with his tray. Politely, of course.

19. boddhitree

Don't you love that old time Düsseldorf service with a snarl and a scowl? I think that's really part of the charm of these places. The rough interior, the rough Köbes. On a tip from Ron Pattinson's pub guide website, I went to Uerige's bar in the department store, drank their Weizen there, not bad, had a Weizen dryness but obviously didnt use the Bavarian yeast. Still, it was ok but not as god as the Alt. oh, the bartender, the place is too small to require a waiter, was equally gruff and stand-offish. The place is a refuge for the men while their wives shop in the dspt. store. Why don't all dept. stores have a bar hidden away in the basement a little off the rest of the store? Would make our shopping experience far more pleasant.

20. Gutes_Bier

Funny story #2, same day same waiter. The menu at Uerige is in Düsseldorfer dialect on one side and German on the other. I was still struggling with my German, and had heard/read stories about Köln with their unusual names for dishes (Halve Hahn and so forth) so I was a little paranoid. I was looking at the dialect menu and asked the waiter, in butchered German, if "Soleier" meant eggs. He snapped the menu out of my hands, turned it inside out, and pointed to the English menu. I don't hold it against him at all. If anything I understood where he was coming from. First I ordered a beer that they were not serving, then I asked him if the eggs are eggs. Americans, man.

By the way, I've been to that department store Uerige and agree 100%, every department store should have one. I believe it's also the only place in town where one can buy a bottle of the unfiltered Alt.

21. FrankenBier

Our Sticke Day routine is to go to the Carsch Haus (the department store) at 9:30am when they open and have a glass or two of the regular Uerige (as they don't serve Sticke) to calibrate our palate then head to Uerige when they open at 10am.

I heard last year that the lease on the Carsch Haus pub was coming up and Uerige was thinking it was too expensive for the amount of business. So it may be gone soon (if not already -- I haven't been to D-dorf since last December)

boddhitree likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe