Are bombers REALLY that pricey?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Apr 20, 2017.

1. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (320) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

Went to one of my beer stores the other day and they were selling bombers of KBS
    for $18-$19. I didn't buy it thinking I didn't want to spend that much. So I went to buy
    a bottle of wine I wanted to get for my wife. It went for $18.97. It was decent but not
    great. So I looked around more and noticed that there were MANY bottles of wine much
    more pricey than beer bombers. So compared to wine bombers are MUCH cheaper and
    many times you get great beer out of them. So just a thought, are bombers too pricey?
    Is wine overpriced? Curious to hear your replies.

PS: I Am going back for the KBS!

2. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,137) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Bombers are a wise deal per ounce than 4 or 6 packs, but I do agree we're still getting a good deal. World class beer is usually still affordable compared to wine. I just don't like that they double the price per ounce because of format.

bubseymour, tanis38 and Harrison8 like this.
  3. sharpski

sharpski Champion (832) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

All depends on your comparison. Like you noted, wine can go waaay higher than beer usually does. Most people are comparing it to beer in other size containers, though, and the 22oz format tends to have the highest $/oz in those comparisons. Some beers are only offered in 22oz, but if it's offered in 12oz or 16oz too, those are generally a significantly lower cost per ounce.

szmnnl99 and Junior like this.
  4. lester619

lester619 Zealot (511) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

:grinning:
    I just saw a bottle Charles Shaw for over three dollars the other day. Wine prices are out of control.

5. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,468) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Ehh, unfair comparison. What about whiskey? Or tequila? You're paying a lot more per ounce for those than beer.

What about buying a sports car vs. an economy car? You'll pay more for the former up front and in maintenance. They both still get you from A to B, and give a different experience, and yet one is decidedly more expensive.

But to get to your point specifically about beer, bombers are generally always higher in cost/ounce than their 4 or 6 pack format twins. The other bonus is 4 or 6 packs can be split up by the store, so a consumer is only buying 12oz at once, which seems to be preferable for more experimental or "out there" beers like Thick Mint or a S'Mores beer.

Folks are buying their 4 packs of KBS for $20. So for $1 to $2 more, they're buying 48 ounces instead of 22 ounces. That's $0.42/ounce vs. $0.81/ounce (going with the $18 figure). Even if we jump the price of the 4 pack up to $25, that's still $0.52/ounce.

mambossa, tanis38, DonicBoom and 7 others like this.
  6. csurowiec

csurowiec Devotee (411) Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

Without question bombers are more expensive than 6-packs but as someone who buys wine for my wife when I buy beer for me, bombers of "good" beer are still more affordable than bottles of "good" wine.

7. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,350) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Not only are bombers generally more expensive per ounce than other bottle/can sizes, since I generally drink alone at home, I'm committing to drinking it in one sitting so it doesn't go flat. This is particularly an issue since most of the beers I like are higher ABV. A high ABV bomber can be the equivalent of a "typical" 4.2 ABV 6-pack. So, just to try a beer that is only available in bombers, I'm going to get gouged and bombered!

Not all bombers are expensive though. Lagunitas, Anderson Valley, Zipline, and Central Waters are typically pretty reasonable. I've paid under $5 for Lagunitas bombers, so that comes out pretty cheap per ounce.

dcotom, zstef99, Harrison8 and 6 others like this.
  8. scream

scream Disciple (347) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Buy a bottle capper and buy bottles. If you do not want to finish it, it will still be pretty decent the next day !

BeerPugz and bbtkd like this.
  9. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (320) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

Good point!

10. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (706) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Man, is this ever my little soap box. I have been lobbying for beer for decades, knowing as a teenager that Lowenbrau was better than Budweiser. My learning curve to loving beverages from everywhere happened quickly AND over time, Still.. Great parents, good education, travel. and an idyllic youth made me come down to earth. I worked in bars, eateries, traveled widely......Fast forward to a career in beer and wine and knowing that great beer was an amazing value relative to wine. I am a real wine person. I sold great beer like great wine and I believe that American beer can be a great value as food-worthy as wine. Ciders, distillates, odd tinctures/botanicals. hard sodas, and other imaginings are all fair game worth real exploration.

19etz55, dcotom, Squire123 and 4 others like this.
  11. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,439) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Sometimes I think that bombers are the perfect platform to try a new beer without the expense and hassle of having 5 left over beers you might not like. So values in the eye of the beholder. I saw a bottle of Moylans Hop Craick at the beer store and about fell out, I've had it in tap and it's not worth $15.

12. tzieser

tzieser Champion (808) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

In my opinion, for the most part, yes.

19etz55, ahawkman and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  13. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,350) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

I have a decent stopper with a lever, and that seals real well. Still, if I drink half of the bomber, it will go somewhat flat even sealed well. I usually end up drinking it an hour or two later, depending on ABV, and it is fine.

19etz55, FBarber and JrGtr like this.
  14. tmalt

tmalt Initiate (142) Dec 17, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Why pay more ? Unless the bomber is the only format available

IDABEERGUY, cello and 19etz55 like this.
  15. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,065) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

OP, within the beer world, yes they are pricey.

cello, 19etz55 and FBarber like this.
  16. scream

scream Disciple (347) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

I think a capper does a much better job. You may have some limited oxidation but I have never had a beer go even slightly flat using a capper. Maybe the key is to pour what you want and cap right away.

19etz55, Harrison8 and bbtkd like this.
  17. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Initiate (192) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I am convinced the only real reason people complain about $20 KBS bombers is because of the 4 pack price. If KBS was ONLY available in bombers, I see far fewer people complaining. People compare The two price points to each other far more than they do KBS Bomber price to other Bomber price (which is the best comparison IMO in terms of whether it is "worth it"). Just my 2 cents.

Duckaduck and 19etz55 like this.
  18. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (557) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

All comes down to what your budget is. For me I would prefer buying two quality 4/6 packs versus 1 bomber at around the same price.

IDABEERGUY, 19etz55 and Harrison8 like this.
  19. zid

zid Champion (800) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

How is a bomber of KBS compared to a bomber of a different beer a better comparison of worth than comparing expensive KBS to cheaper KBS?

szmnnl99, BeerPugz and sharpski like this.
  20. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (191) Feb 25, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Wine doesn't come in bombers (22 oz format). The vast majority of wine is sold in 750 mL bottles and are always in bottles primarily identified in mL. Also 750 mL > 22 oz.

SMH_NWI likes this.
  21. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Devotee (487) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

Me and the wife recently shared a 64 oz growler. of Barbary Coast from The Almanac Brewing Company, thanks to Aces and Ales, over several days. This was a wonderful, if somewhat pricey option, to enjoy a beer that we would not have been able to otherwise sample. Seriously looking into this growler thing as possibly spending less, over bombers, and getting fresh tapped beers.

IDABEERGUY and 19etz55 like this.
  22. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Here's how I look at this. Bombers are always more expensive than their respective 4 packs, assuming both are offered, so obviously 4 packs are a better buy. The question is simply whether $20 for a 750 is "worth it." That should be based on how well you like the beer and how it compares to substitutes (which are, arguably, other 750s from other breweries). This should be in isolation of whether the 4pack exists, because we already know the 4 pack is a better buy. So, would you be willing to pay $20 for KBS 750s, or would you rather buy other 750s that you consider substitutes for approximately the same cost?

In another thread I asked whether Rue d' Floyd was worth $30 for a bomber and whether 3F BA Behemoth is worth $40/750. People said yes. IF these were offered in 4-pack, people would have said no, because the 4 pack would obviously be cheaper.

It's all about where you started - your reference point (or anchor if you will). IF someone paid $40 for the 750 BA behemoth, AND THEN bought the hypothetical 4 pack at a cheaper $/oz, would it make sense that they would say now that the "750 isn't worth it"? No - it was worth it before, it is worth it now. Just now you don't have to pony up the extra money for the more expensive larger format.

If KBS 750s were the only format available, I believe people would still buy the hell out of it.

19etz55 and Harrison8 like this.
  23. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,065) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Seems fine to me until the part in bold. Isolating 'worth' comparisons to package formats does not seem rational imo. To me, beer is beer. That a beer is only available in bomber or 750ml bottles does not make it inherently more 'special'. Substitutes in the worth comparison of a beer should be all other beer imo, whether it is 4 packs, bombers, growlers, draft pints, etc. My key indicator in worth assessment is price per ounce.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  24. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Meyvn (1,498) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I was thinking maybe bombers are more expensive because of the thick glass bottles, and the weight and fragility of shipping costs. Some of the prices get a little out of hand though. KBS bombers are still sitting around here for $20 and I haven't got one. If it was $15 or maybe even $17 I would grab one. $20 isn't an amount I'm looking to spend on one bottle, 750 or not. That's something I don't do often even if I "can". Even a Cantillon bottle at $30 seems steep to me, shipped from Belgium, and that's probably the beer I would pay most for.

bubseymour likes this.
  25. Jaguar10301

Jaguar10301 Initiate (148) Mar 1, 2010 Maine

Which of course doesn't really make sense because in most products when you buy in bulk you get a discount, you don't pay a premium. Plus that you have to drink that volume now or lose freshness/carbonation. I often prefer bottles and cans...

26. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (4,980) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I like bombers, but sometimes they can get pricey, depends on the brewery. A nice way to check a beer out. Lots of places do not sell singles, and really do not want to be stuck with a sixer.

Cheers!

VABA likes this.
  27. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,260) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

If purchased by the pallet, in cases:

12 oz. longneck = 25¢ each
    22 oz. "bomber" = 41¢ each​

So, pretty much the same price - 1.9¢/2¢ - per ounce of beer.

And they save money on crowns and the lack of a sixpack "basket" inner packaging with bombers.

#27 jesskidden, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    cello, kojevergas, Jacobob10 and 3 others like this.
  28. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

That's completely reasonable. When I was typing it, I was honestly thinking that most comparable substitues (BA beers) primarily come in the larger format. I suppose that is not exactly true with most people comparing KBS to SMS, High Westified, parabola, etc. Truly, your statement is completely true. I am glad my point came across, though, even if there was a slight hiccup.

meefmoff and Jaycase like this.
  29. glass_house

glass_house Defender (600) Jan 10, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Nothing is REALLY that pricey if you compare it to something more expensive. I'm in the market for a house and I can say bombers are comparatively inexpensive.

JayWhitson and SovietBillCosby like this.
  30. Jaguar10301

Let's play with that a bit.

If I spent 20 bucks on a 4-pack of KBS. or 18 on a bomber. Does it matter that I have 3 beers left over if I don't like it? I mean sure I spent 2 bucks more, but the value of liking it is well worth the risk of 2 dollars...

31. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (64) Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I think if we are using wine as a comparison, we have already "lost". Wine prices are ridiculous. There is often only a tenuous connection between price and quality. The wine world is full of hype, vanity/reputation pricing, and people with too much money on their hands.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  32. Jaguar10301

It amazes me all the KBS sitting on the shelves in places and I can't get any in Maine....

33. Jaguar10301

As I said in response to another post though, if that 6 pack is similar in cost to the bomber. Why worry about the beers you are stuck with? Dump them, or give them away, or trade them. The plus side of liking the beer is that you now have 5 more that you like for the same cost as that bomber...

jparizo likes this.
  34. jparizo

jparizo Initiate (159) Jan 16, 2011 Indiana

Yes, bombers are expensive. No, I will not buy a bomber over $10 (with rare exception). So basically that leaves Lagunitas and Stone bombers. Haven't had a problem with it yet, since a lot of GREAT beers are being canned now.
    Recent example, 4-pack Hunter Vanilla 16oz cans $21. There was a regular Hunter bomber right next to it for $14. Bought the 4-pack.

19etz55 and Harrison8 like this.
  35. jparizo

jparizo Initiate (159) Jan 16, 2011 Indiana

I live less than 2 hours from Founders and couldn't get any. Call up my brother in Bangor (a week after release), he picks up 3 4-packs no problem. He didn't even know they were out!

19etz55 likes this.
  36. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,468) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Funny how home town pride effects sales as well. I live 15 minutes from Boulevard, and yet I have a tough time getting some of their more sought after releases. Folks will literally follow a distribution truck around town and buy beer as soon as it hits the store for some of the releases. The same beers sit on the shelves for months and months in the Northwest and other regions.

19etz55 likes this.
  37. Jaguar10301

Bangor! Those rubes don't need good beer, send it down to Portland! haha

19etz55 likes this.
  38. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Disciple (382) Jan 8, 2015 Texas

For the love of God, KBS does not come in bomber format.

39. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

Lots of people use bomber instead of the huge varying sizes. I've seen everything from 20.9oz to 750ml. It's easier than trying to name off the exact size, especially when (most) everyone knows what size you're actually talking about (in the case of KBS).

19etz55 likes this.
  40. Jaguar10301

Someone is Mr. Semantics today. I don't think 100 mL really changes any of the discussions we are having... Thanks though.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.