1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Are breweries producing too many beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Justonemore91, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Initiate (95) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Trader

I'm starting to dislike the trend most of my locals breweries are guilty of.. That is releasing at least 3 different to new beers a week.. Theres no consistency whatsoever.. I wouldnt mind it if the beers were up to par.. But dont brew a maple stout and hype it up as if it was world class only for it to be a thin stout with no maple flavor at all.. Same goes for ipas.. Why do you need to release 3 to 6 different ipas in a week when half of them are trash.. Do brewers have any respect for the brewing process anymore? Or is it all about cashing in?

VABA, thebeers, storm72 and 7 others like this.
  2. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (78) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

We're talking about this very thing in my Hype Beast thread, I think there's some overlap there if you'd like to chime in.

3. Justonemore91

Trader

I'm actually fed up with it.. I feel like there should be an agency to taste test anything that is being sold to the public.. Stop calling you crap beer craft beer

drunkenmess and LarryV like this.
  4. honkey

honkey Zealot (549) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Society Industry

I’m curious why you appear to think that brewing new beers, respecting the brewing process (whatever that means), and cashing in are mutually exclusive priorities.

5. Justonemore91

Trader

Respecting the brewing process to me is producing beer you would drink and enjoy yourself.. If your brewing a beer and its not ready or the taste is off or its not what you advertised it to be dont put it out on the market

storm72, dell19 and MikeP64 like this.
  6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,485) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Who are you referring to, maybe mention some names so others can agree/disagree with your assessment on quality, etc.
    I actually enjoy my local guys new releases, they are always done correctly, solid beers, and enjoyable to try. They also do their core beers all the time so we have core items and also new stuff to try. I feel if a brewery is making great beer that's all that matters.
    Hopefully you post on the brewery/breweries, I would be curious who is making such bad product? Did they use to make good beer? If yes, what do you think changed? Seems like if they are making such crap their sales would nose dive.
    Cheers

Milktoast75 and tinoynk like this.
  7. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,319) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It IS all about "cashing in" and responding to what the customer wants -- a new beer daily, please. And it's all done in the name of marketing. Oh, brewer's have some personal and professional pride and hope each beer is a home run, but they'll usually settle for 'drinkable to good' before they dump a batch.

MikeP64, Milktoast75 and JackHorzempa like this.
  8. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (40) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

One of the biggest things that gets me is when these breweries make all these IPAs and advertise their different slight combinations of flashy-names hops as if each new type is genuinely different.

In any case, the malt bill has always been what interests me about a beer, but I also think Americans have never respected grain, viewing it only as a base to make an alcoholic drink that may or may not be drenched in hops. Industrial AALs and IPAs ironically have commonality in that.

storm72 and mkh012 like this.
  9. Justonemore91

Trader

I wouldn't want to bash a brewery if there not here to defend themselves.. I won't say a name but I'll give am example.. I purchased a peanut butter and cherry stout from a highly regarded brewery that collaborated with another highly regarded brewery for $16 a bottle.. Only to get home and drink a thin stout with no peanut butter flavor and almost no cherry flavor

JackHorzempa and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  10. mkh012

mkh012 Zealot (589) May 7, 2015 New Jersey

Tired Hands is guilty of this, and it's a shame because their beers are phenomenal at their best. If they focused on core brands and dialing in recipes, I think they'd be even more well-regarded. Alien Church, Extra Knuckle, Eviscerated Pathway of Beauty...all phenomenal beers. But then you have the (almost) weekly milkshake IPAs with 5+ added ingredients. I generally avoid them but have heard that many are messy. Yet people buy them...

If TH were a bit more purposeful and selective in their releases, I really think people would talk about Jean like he's Shaun Hill. Their more straightforward beers are almost always fantastic. The White Sage DIPA I had recently? Not as much.

#10 mkh012, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  11. Justonemore91

Trader

I dont want craft beer to be taken over by gimmicks that boost midiocre beer

storm72, MikeP64, LarryV and 2 others like this.
  12. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,485) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

That really does suck and I respect that your not wanting to mention. Only reason I asked was in case others had same experience with this place. Seems like a bad business move on their end, pretty soon their loyal fans will move on. I would not go back if the beer was crap, they need to see the issues before it goes out so customers are not paying for sub-par product. I guess all you can do is walk from them and move over to a place with solid stuff.
    On a side note, I would talk to them? Maybe you can express what your seeing and it may register with them or least they are aware. Feedback helps so maybe if enough folks tell them it will change? Just an idea.

13. zid

zid Savant (971) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I agree with your point about breweries going overboard with their varieties of beer, but the craft beer consumer need for stouts to be viscous and for added flavorings to be dominant are different negative issues. :wink:

14. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,368) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I don't have too much problem with brewers putting out new brews each week. Would be better if the frequent turnover of small batches were a wider variety of beer styles however (and at good quality). Seems the longer lasting brewers are less homogenized than the newbies which are more common to showcase only kettle sour/variety of IPAs/stout....repeat next week with some tweaks.

Justonemore91 likes this.
  15. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (1,618) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Short answer - yes. Looking at you Southern Tier

16. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,586) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

If the problem is that these breweries are putting out bad beers the answer is simple.

beergoot and PapaGoose03 like this.
  17. Justonemore91

Trader

It wouldn't bother me as much as it does if I wasn't spending big bucks on it.. I applaud the brewers with a consistent lineup of good brews

18. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (327) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I don't think so, but I like change. However, some people I talk to would prefer a brewery have a core lineup and maybe have a couple new offerings from time to time. That way, the breweries can focus on these core beers.

Justonemore91 likes this.
  19. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,553) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Too late :sunglasses:.

VABA, storm72, MikeP64 and 14 others like this.
  20. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

Learn to ignore the hype. Hmmm, maybe that's a good name for a beer?

BuffaloBill12, dcotom and LarryV like this.
  21. LarryV

LarryV Meyvn (1,149) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

But if the beers are constantly new releases, you don't know if they suck until you've already put up the cash, assuming that you mean just don't buy it.

I usually don't buy this stuff because it's too expensive for one, and I tend to view it as a gamble, it might be good, it might suck. But if I stick with a known good product then I haven't wasted $16 or more on some nonsense that sucks.

If a brewery has no flagship brews and is just knocking out one-offs every other day, I view it as a red flag and stay away, but that's just me.

VABA and storm72 like this.
  22. insearchofhops

insearchofhops Aspirant (234) Apr 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Trillium is guilty of this. Quality seems to be on the decline too IMO

23. rgordon

rgordon Champion (893) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My distant relative Henry Patrick said "give me librium or give me death". No, no, he really said that about unicorn farts relative to Blue Ribbon.

zid likes this.
  24. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,285) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Makes me wonder if they're failing to put enough thought into their recipes and trying them all, good or bad, on their customers. If that's what's going on, they'll lose customers.

25. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (687) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Well, peanut butter and cherry are two things I never put together outside of beer. Put them in beer as a pair and I’m not paying $1 a bottle. Cherry stout I’m in. Peanut butter any beer, I’m out.

I guess making so many beers works for breweries or why would it keep happening?

I would like to see breweries dial in core beers and then go as crazy as they want. I want to buy your core regularly, I’m not going to be your lab rat each week. Once in a bit, sure.

Enjoy

LarryV, storm72 and beergoot like this.
  26. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

I mean JUST DON'T BUY IT !!!

There are many breweries that I've tried several different beers from and they've let me down time and again - I just won't go back, it's as easy as that. "Oh but they've got a special", well F them, they failed before and I'm not falling for it.

On the up side, there are some breweries that I once thought were piss-poor and they've improved. Are ANY of those up to the quality of our best national beers? No, but I am saying improvement is possible, but I'll bide my time before I jump in and try them again.

Let's not call it "once bitten, twice shy", let's call it "You F'd me over four or five times so F you, you F'n F!" (That really doesn't work done PC, does it?). How about "Say hello to my little friend, spending money at your competition"?

How did the adage go that was so bandied around when craft brew was just coming up and the big brewers were still in charge, "Life is too short to drink shitty beers?" Well it's back again.

#26 NeroFiddled, Mar 13, 2019
    storm72, MikeP64, drtth and 3 others like this.
  27. DVMin98

DVMin98 Site Editor (2,807) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I like how one of my local breweries do it. They have their core releases. Then they have their seasonal releases. Then they will do a new beer like once a month and then they do a pilot batch (one keg) every two weeks. Seems about right. You go Triple C!

MikeP64 likes this.
  28. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,654) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I've got bad news for you ...

The thing is the "new beer each week" model is working and taps into a large segment of people who want something new each week. I see your complaint, especially in cases where the beers aren't very good quality-wise, but I have to think the model in general is here to stay.

JackHorzempa and PapaGoose03 like this.
  29. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (524) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

The craft market is notoriously fickle, and when you throw this kind of fickle behavior towards new money consumers. You create a death spiral of unrealizable expectations, and breweries are stuck making stuff they can never slow down enough to really get a handle on. Limited tank real estate in a market with a high cost per square foot for lease space certainly compounds this.

storm72 likes this.
  30. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (403) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Good brewers don’t need to brew the same beer over and over to produce a consistently good product. Variety and innovation is good for everybody and feeds a growing industry. If you sense quality problems - it’s more likely that the brewer doesn’t have the training and/or enough experience yet. Cheers.

#30 chipawayboy, Mar 13, 2019
  31. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (288) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Teetering on the brink of an epiphany...

32. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,858) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Are you buying these "3 different new beers"? If so, they I would be willing to guess you know the 'answer' here.

Cheers!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  33. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,382) Dec 25, 2003 California

ALL IPAs; and nothing else at all!

34. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,319) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

That's over the top of ridiculous if that's the total beer menu. It's ridiculous if it's just the new beers being brewed.

Zorro likes this.
  35. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (40) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

A brewery near my hometown started doing this. They always had a hop-focused selection, but recently it’s all been IPA variants and then maybe a stout or porter, or two. For that reason I quit going there.

Zorro likes this.
  36. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,709) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

It seems like a bombardment, not sure how they make money like this. I thought the Stone premise of the Enjoy By to be simple but really genius. Can’t remember the last time I saw this on the shelf, but I’m getting tired of the codes. Such a simple idea that seems to hve gone the way of the dodos with all the new NEIPAS.

37. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (417) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Gimmicky new beer— no sales = no gimmicky new beer.

38. Optifron

Optifron Initiate (112) Aug 17, 2012 Minnesota

I fall into this “some people” mindset. When I try a new brewery, I always try the basic, classic style flagships. If those aren’t solid, no return trip to that brewery. And in my experience, the ones that don’t have a core set of flagships have been not good 100% of the time, but I don’t find a ton of those.

The great thing about so much choice today is that I can choose to spend money at the breweries that invest in making a batch enough times for it to be excellent.

And for the record, yes, I know a great brewery can make repeatedly make great one-offs, but I find the percentage of new breweries able to do it to be close to zero. Not worth wasting money on the low chances for me. Call me an old geezer of a millennial, but I’m happiest with some reliable beverages that taste like a solid, balanced beer (as opposed to pastries, milkshakes, and whatever else - I know they’re beer, but you know what I mean).

storm72 and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  39. honkey

honkey Zealot (549) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Society Industry

Obviously there are brewers that will put out beers that they know are not as intended, but those are simply shady breweries engaging in poor business practices. Most frequently in that case, the brewer just can’t afford to dump beer.

However, “not ready” and “not what you advertised” are frequently just opinions. In your example of a peanut butter beer that doesn’t taste like it had enough, I wouldn’t expect a strong peanut butter flavor unless the brewery used extracts. If they don’t advertise the use of extracts and it tastes strong, I’d assume that they were being misleading. I’ve had to contract brew for a couple breweries that wanted peanut butter beers... in order to get a substantial flavor, we had to use artificial flavorings.

drtth, PapaGoose03 and JackHorzempa like this.
  40. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Champion (803) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

Be careful what you wish for. Up here that is exactly what happens for all beer not sold directly at the brewery. If you enjoy IPAs with a healthy 4-5 months of aging in warehouses without climate control, I recommend a visit to Ontario.

shadyside likes this.