Are there too many "appreciation" threads?

Talk Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by AlcahueteJ, Feb 7, 2024.

?

Are there too many "appreciation" threads?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2024.
  1. No, I love the appreciation threads!

141 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Yes, there are too many. Make it stop.

55 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I don’t mind them, but they belong in a separate forum.

116 vote(s)
    37.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I realize this might not be a popular opinion, but I feel there's too many appreciation threads.

The front page currently has 5 out of the 20 threads occupied by appreciation threads. Originally these started for underappreciated beer styles, but that's obviously not the case anymore.

I don't click on any of them, but I assume people enjoy them (I used to go through the Salute to Saisons one, which was the original if I recall). Perhaps it would be best to have a separate section for these threads and not have them in Beer Talk?

2. thebeers

thebeers Grand Pooh-Bah (5,393) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Agreed. I thought about doing a Hazy IPA Appreciation thread with Rick Astley as the top post.

If you had to kill some and keep others, where’s your line though?

3. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Grand Pooh-Bah (5,189) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

BigIronH, Amendm, Whyteboar and 19 others like this.
  4. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Maven (1,356) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

Talking about beer seems appropriate in the 'Beer Talk' forum. idk, does 5/20 threads really inconvenince your enjoyment of the site?

No way to type that without sounding snarky!

I say keep the Stout and Barleywine ones. Because the other styles don't really matter anyway :smirk:

Squire, LXIXME, DavyJonesXXX and 26 others like this.
  5. Gemini6

Gemini6 Savant (1,165) Oct 5, 2013 Michigan

Doesn't this thread belong in the BeerAdvocate Talk forum and not Beer Talk forum?

Whyteboar, ChicagoJ, TCgenny and 12 others like this.
  6. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Nah no worries, I get it! Be snarky!

And to answer your question, yeah it kinda does. I've been here almost 20 years. And I can say there hasn't been all that much I've been interested in when I open the main site, more so than in recent memory. Maybe it's just me though!

Personally I think they're excessive (do we really need an IPA appreciation thread? That wasn't the main purpose of the threads...no offense to those who enjoy that one!). But, at the very least they could be put in separate forums.

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

The ultimate beer (IPA) appreciation thread? :wink:

What beer are you drinking now?

Cheers!

8. Shanex

Shanex Grand Pooh-Bah (4,466) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Regional Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not sure I’m getting this right, but we certainly don’t only drink IPAs in WBAYDN.

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Just a joke. Did you see :wink:

Cheers!

10. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I occasionally peek into a couple of these threads, but I don't think I've posted in them. The ones for beer styles for which I have minimal interest (and presumably most other members) are probably the ones that should be permitted. But if individual appreciation threads start popping up for gruit and other obscure styles like it, that's getting to be too many.

Peach63, Whyteboar, TrojanRB and 6 others like this.
  11. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Pooh-Bah (2,629) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can’t have “appreciation” without “i”, “p”, “a”.

12. elNopalero

elNopalero Grand Pooh-Bah (4,568) Oct 14, 2009 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So, you’re saying I should wait before posting my latest thread:

“Thread Appreciation Thread: Which Appreciation Thread Are You Appreciating Tonight”

I even have an acronym cued up for the abbreviation thread: TATWATSYAT, or how one might pronounce “That’s What I Said” after drinking a few too many.

13. MutuelsMark

MutuelsMark Grand Pooh-Bah (3,003) Jan 23, 2015 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Now that was snarky :slight_smile:

14. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,081) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm kind of middle of the road on this topic.

On one side, isn't WBAYDN enough? Seriously, does every style need it's own appreciation thread? Everyone gets a trophy, SMH.

On the other side, what a good idea! Now I can go to this thread and find a new stout or saison, etc. Without having to go thru a whole WBAYDN thread.

I dunno, to each there own.

Cheers!

15. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can't say I appreciate them...

:grin:

#15 jesskidden, Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  16. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There has definitely been a bunch that have popped up more recently, to me personally it doesn't really matter. If there is discussion then I'm assuming some users are getting something out of them and like any thread, they're easy not to click on.

If people want to "get together" and share their common like/love of a certain beer style I think that is a good thing. Maybe it creates more little positive corners here on BA and I'm all for that.

I just look at it as you do your thing, I'll do mine and if they're both beer related, all the better :beers:

17. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Moved. Should’ve been a poll too. And you should’ve reported the thread to be moved. :wink:

18. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I understand your concern with "too many threads", but these appreciation threads bring together people who share a love for a style of beer. This typically means a short review and discussion about the style. I really don't see a problem, although I recognize this is a shift from the traditional way that things worked on BA.

I think this general comment also relates to a recent discussion about regional WBAYDN threads. Some people have expressed that they prefer to hear about people drinking beers relevant to their area of the country. Again, this makes sense to me, but obviously draws people away from the main WBAYDN thread.

So, I guess the main question is whether we want to have everyone who is drinking a beer post in the main WBAYDN thread, or is it OK to have these more focused areas of BA.

19. LeinenkugelDrinker

LeinenkugelDrinker Zealot (697) Feb 14, 2023 Nevada
    Society Trader

I started a WBAYDN for the mountain-region. I cross-post with the daily WBAYDN when posting there.

Also how do you post a link to a thread page with out inserting the entire URL?
    Edit: Oh, I got now! :rofl:

20. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

When a new one pops up I usually think, "Jeez, another one, they're gonna fill the entire forum soon"... BUT, the threads are usually good and if they drive traffic and increase participation in the forums, then they're a good thing for the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.