Are you ready for gushing beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mike_Aguirre, Mar 30, 2015.

?

Are you always ready for gushing beer?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    73.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

I was ready for something else when I saw the title. I don't know what but it wasn't about beer coming out of a bottle when it's not supposed to. Another first world problem, I say. What's wrong with sticking the bottle in your mouth?

Hrodebert, jcos and Mike_Aguirre like this.
  2. SoleBriety

SoleBriety Maven (1,445) Oct 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I think this has happened to me when I leave the bottle of beer too long in the freezer (with the intent of removing the bottle about 30 mins after I had put it in), other than that, no issues.

Hrodebert and Mike_Aguirre like this.
  3. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Initiate (0) May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I open them over the sink with a glass near by but so far haven't needed to react to a gusher. On a side note , one of the belgian beer fest I worked I was pouring for a distributor and she was removing cages from a bunch of bottles . Suddenly we heard a load pop and I got the cork in the face. Missed my eyes and did no damage but was enough to make me suggest to her not to remove any more cages until we needed to open them.

Mike_Aguirre likes this.
  4. Mike_Aguirre

Mike_Aguirre Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Mexico

Most of the times I share the bottle with my fellow reviewer, so that might be a little weird hehe.

RBCORCORAN likes this.
  5. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I can only count a few times in the last 18 years of drinking where my beer has gushed.

6. Mike_Aguirre

Since we let our beer out of the fridge at least 10 minutes before we open them to experience better flavour and aroma, and many gush. I agree with the B.

7. MattXT

MattXT Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Virginia

I'm only ready for a possible mess when I open a corked beer.

Mike_Aguirre likes this.
  8. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York
    Deactivated

Happened to me 3x with Xocovesa. Foamy mess all over the front seat of my car parked in my driveway the last time. Went to crack it on Halloween real quick in between handing out candy bars to kids. Poof, a beer mess on the front seat of my car. Have a nice stain despite many paper towels , quick reaction time and upholstery cleaning.

Mike_Aguirre likes this.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

I am ALWAYS ready for a gushing Orval. :wink: Too good to waste a drop. If I buy a new to me brew, especially from Belgium, I like to look at the ratings to see if there's any mention of gushing but of course, that doesn't always work. So, I'm not totally prepared...

10. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

I usually open and then stare right down the barrel ready to run to the sink.

That works most of the time, but my ceiling was victimized once in the past.

11. Phocion

Phocion Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 Minnesota

I can think of four times in the last two years where I've had a gusher. One was a bottle of Alpine Nelson a friend had just brought back from California. The other three times were all when I was judging homebrew competitions.

If this is a regular problem for you, I think something is wrong.

12. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Pooh-Bah (1,977) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

13. something_is_brewing

something_is_brewing Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2014 Massachusetts

All you people that say that gushing is ok. YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not ok. EVER.

WhatANicePub likes this.
  14. raulstotle12

raulstotle12 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 California

15. tobelerone

tobelerone Grand Pooh-Bah (4,146) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My wife was nearly blinded when I began to remove the cage from a bottle of Kane's 365 (anniversary beer). I had barely loosened the cage when it was ejected with force by the cork which her hit on the cheek just below the eye socket. She was at least 6 feet away from me too. Crazy shit.

16. Mike_Aguirre

I don´t think anyone sad It´s ok, just that it happens.

17. pagriley

pagriley Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

18. DraftDaddy

DraftDaddy Pundit (848) Jan 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Rarely have this happen to anything but a home brew.

something_is_brewing likes this.
  19. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Savant (1,000) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Same here, and even though I may not have been ready for it every time, I have rarely lost any beer because of it.

20. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Zealot (598) Jul 1, 2009 Scotland

or
    C. Buying beer from competent breweries who know how to package beer.

elchicodelgado likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.