Arizona Beer Thread (2020)

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by IGaveYouPower, Jan 17, 2020.

1. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (174) Dec 2, 2010 New York

I don't live out here, but I come out to Phoenix a few times a year (including next month) and there was no Arizona thread so here we are.

Couple-a questions:

1) Anyone been to Sleepy Whale in Chandler? I know it's owned by the Wandering Tortoise people and the taplist right now is absolutely unbelievable. Bottle Logic, Pueblo Vida, Wren House, Superstition, La Cumbre, Hubbard's Cave, AZW, Tombstone, Rowley, Pure Project, Odd13. Like that's ludicrous and I can't remember ever seeing that strong a list at WT or Angel's. Though, obviously, I'm not checking weekly.

2) Any new (opened since last March) breweries to check out? I see places called Walter Station and Grand Avenue have opened up near the airport. Flying Bassett and Desert Monks are relatively new in Gilbert. I've been pretty much everywhere else I wanna go (Wren House, The Shop, Pedal Haus, Helton, Fate, OHSO, San Tan, AZW, 12 West, The Perch, Huss) multiple times so looking for a few new spots worth peeping.

Also open to any intel on Four Silos, Phx Beer Co, Helluva, Oro and Helio Basin.

3) Gilbert Convenience and Bottleshop 48 still the best places to grab beers to go?

MonkeyBread and Mbo108 like this.
  2. Beaverhuntr

Beaverhuntr Initiate (51) Apr 20, 2018 Arizona
    Trader

I haven't been to Sleepy Whale but I'm always at Wandering Tortoise. I follow sleepy whale on Instagram and the tap lists are pretty similar. Both places are cool though.

I don't know of any new breweries that opened up at least not any new good ones. Don't sleep on Gold Water Brewing in Scottsdale, they just opened up a new spot in Mesa too. Very nice brewery and lots of different beers on tap. In Phoenix Kings Beer and Wine is the cheapest spot to get a crowler, Mickey sells them for like 8 bucks.

3. IGaveYouPower

LOL just looked and their new place in Mesa is even more inconvenient to get to from where I'll be staying (south Chandler) than the Scottsdale place. Amazing. I'm far from an expert on the area but why you'd open a second spot in the most far-flung area of Mesa instead of DTPHX, Tempe near ASU, Gilbert or somewhere else is well beyond me.

Bummer since I've always heard great things about Goldwater, but it's just not near anything else I do when I'm in town.

4. Beaverhuntr

Trader

Yeah I rarely go to the east valley. They probably stayed away from Downtown Phoenix because of all the competition. A lot of breweries and tap houses are in down town Phoenix now.

5. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Disciple (331) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana
    Society

Liquor Express in Tempe was my other go-to when I lived there. Not far at all from Bottleshop 48.

IGaveYouPower likes this.
  6. IGaveYouPower

On one hand I get that, on the other, counterpoint... Industrial Way in Portland ME. 1st ave N/1st ave S in St. Pete FL. Downtown Tuscon. Park Slope in Brooklyn.

If your beer is good (and Goldwater's has a very high reputation) and you have name recognition in the city (they certainly do) I don't think it hurts you to set up shop right near other breweries. I think exactly the opposite.

Am I gonna go to AZDTPHX next month? Maybe. Would I go to that area if both AZW and Goldwater were a block from one another? Almost assuredly. Would I go into that area if there was three breweries I wanted to hit into a day. 1000% yes.

I think this is especially true in a sprawled-out place like Phoenix where you can't be driving 25 minutes to this brewery, then 25 minutes to that one, then 25 minutes to that one.

Beaverhuntr likes this.
  7. IGaveYouPower

That said, that area of Mesa is VERY underserved so I'm sure they'll get people that would have to drive forever just to get to Liochel, Oro or BRI but I don't know if it makes more sense than being in a very high-trafficked area where beer tourism alone will keep customers flooding in.

8. thetastywort

thetastywort Initiate (125) Jun 2, 2011 California
    Trader

I'm heading to Scottsdale tomorrow and would appreciate any commentary on my plans:

O.H.S.O Paradise Valley - Grab a little food and mainly to tray BA Morning Grind
    O.H.S.O North Scottsdale - Try some other beers, but mainly to do the distillery tour.
    Fate Brewing - Love me some sweet milk stouts and that candy bar sounds delicious!
    Goldwater - mentioned above and sounds good. Not a lot of info of their beers on tap from their website. Curious if that Unleaded release sold out, or if still available.
    Helton - Others have said it's a solid brewery. Nothing on tap looks too outstanding at the moment.

Any thoughts?

9. IGaveYouPower

- Fate makes great stuff and it's a beautiful spot to sit outside and relax enjoying some beers.

- Helton is wild underrated and worth a stop, but if you're right in that area anyhow and only have time for one stop I'd for sure prioritize Wren House instead.

- I've only been to the O.H.S.O. location in Gilbert but the beer was very solid and the space a lot of fun.

10. Beaverhuntr

Trader

If you're staying in Scottsdale thats a good list of places for craft beer. Goldwater is my favorite out the bunch but I'm an IPA guy.

11. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Disciple (331) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana
    Society

So true, and I don’t understand why.

12. thetastywort

thetastywort Initiate (125) Jun 2, 2011 California
    Trader

Agreed. Goldwater was my favorite and loved the vibe at Goldmine. The O.H.S.O had a great space and that BA Morning Grind was pretty awesome. Being that I live for BA stouts, I would say that I was impressed.

Thank you to everyone that chipped in! I had a nice visit and will make a point to visit the ones I missed next time. Cheers!

13. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Defender (613) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada
    Trader

OHSO good for food. If it’s solely for beer there’s better options. OHSO beers are solid and they have decent guest taps usually. Wren House / Wandering Tortoise combo is top notch. 5 min from each other. That’s my go to when in Phoenix. For bottles, Craft Beer Quick Stop on north side is amazing. Can get crowlers and a huge can / bottle selection.

Otherwise yes Goldwater is awesome. The Shop, McFate, Arizona Wilderness, Beer Research Institute are each really good too.

Beaverhuntr likes this.
  14. arizcards

arizcards Poo-Bah (4,152) Jun 11, 2003 Arizona
    Society

Although i did not see it mentioned the Scottsdale Beer Company is a solid, if unspectacular, choice for food and beer. Unfortunately i saw on Facebook last week that the owner is "disbanding" SBC, selling current stock and considering selling brewing equipment. I am hoping he meant SBC is on "hiatus" and possibly could come back later this year. The location is very convenient, at Shea Boulevard and the 101. Fingers crossed they come back.

MonkeyBread likes this.