Arkansas 2020

Discussion in 'South' started by russpowell, Jan 5, 2020.

1. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,885) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

This how the moderators have requested this. So I went to Boston Mountain Brewing today, second time. A nice chill venue to drink 11 ales plus, a cider & they have booze options. The Darker beers are my faves, reviews to follow.

Just chiming in...

thewrongtone and JRuff like this.
  2. JRuff

JRuff Initiate (26) Jul 26, 2019 Arkansas

Thanks for starting this! Wasn’t sure what happened with the last one.

Glad to hear this review of Boston. Wasn’t impressed the first time I went but it was early on.

I’ll give them another try.

3. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (131) Oct 15, 2006 Arkansas

I’ll chime in too for notification purposes. Pretty sure a thread that does about 4 pages/year doesn’t need to be restarted annually. A few years from now, it could contribute to some pretty wonky search functionality.

Anyway, if any of you want to try probably the best IPA produced in this state, get some Cumulocitron from Rebel Kettle. I’ll put it almost at Ghost in the Machine level. I know they sold out of cans, but it might still be on draft. I’m excited for the things they’re doing.

Harrison8 and russpowell like this.
  4. russpowell

Society Trader

Wish I saw more of their stuff in this side of the state, but haven't been out any multi tap bars un a few months

thewrongtone likes this.
  5. thewrongtone

There will be plenty more dialed-in hops and BA mixed fermentation in the future. I wouldn’t be surprised if they expanded in the next couple years.

JRuff likes this.
  6. russpowell

Society Trader

They are must hit when I'm in Little Rock to be sure

JRuff likes this.
  7. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (323) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Bentonville Brewing just opened a new brewery. A new one over in Rogers, Natural State Brewing just opened as well. Some more further south including the aforementioned Boston Mountain Brewing.

Harrison8 likes this.
  8. russpowell

Society Trader

Natural State is on my targetlist. As this is a totally football free weekend, this should happen.

rtrasr likes this.
  9. russpowell

Society Trader

Heading down to Hot Springs for a weekend soon, so any intell, even by beer mail I would appreciate.

10. thewrongtone

Stock up in LR on your way down.

I’ve heard mixed reviews about SQZBX.
    https://sqzbx.com/

russpowell likes this.
  11. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (87) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

SQZBX has a few decent beers and the Pizza is ok. Superior Bath House has a few decent beers and is worth stopping by. Core has their normal line-up. Deluca's makes a great pizza and has a small but ok beer list. You have to call ahead and reserve your dough at Deluca's and then you actually order the pizza when you get there. All of those are only a short distance apart. Bubba's is out on the lake and has a some decent beer.

My Son and DIL live in Hot Springs. I'll check with him for any other ideas.

None of these are just earth shattering beers but you can at least find something decent. FWIW, my Wife takes me and a few friends over several times a year for a "Hot Springs Beer Day" so I don't think its just terrible.

Racing Season starts this Friday and can cause traffic to be crazy. Be advised!

If you PM me a date my Wife and I might be able to meet you. She doesn't drink so we'll have a DD!

thewrongtone and russpowell like this.
  12. russpowell

Society Trader

That should work as a meet up, but will have to run it by the Frau. It will be our Anniversary weekend, but after that many years, she is usually happy for new company!

13. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,967) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Hey all. Hoping to do another Arkansas trip sometime in the next month or two. Any big changes in the Bentonville area? Both in terms of new breweries and distribution.

thewrongtone likes this.
  14. russpowell

Society Trader

Distribution: None of it is going to blow you away, I'm guessing you get most of it up North. Toppling Goliath & CCB are two that come to mind. We have some guest brewers showing up on non predictable basis. Surly is the best drop so far, plus Du Claw

Natural State Beer Co up in Rogers is new. Hawk Moth is Newish. The are franco/Belgian slanted. Ivory Billed in Siloam Springs is starting to establish themselves as a pretty British slanted brewery. Boston Mountain & Crisis Brewing are worth a check out if in Fayetteville. New Province makes some quirky stuff that is worth checking out, but not consistent. Some is great/interesting, a lot is meh. My 2 cents

Harrison8 and thewrongtone like this.
  15. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,967) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

That's all great and useful information. My friend may be moving out of Arkansas sometime this year, so I'd like to at least visit for one more round of breweries.

I appreciate it!

16. russpowell

Society Trader

Ozark might be worth a visit if you have never been

rtrasr and Harrison8 like this.
  17. rtrasr

Ozark is definitely worth a visit, so are New Province and Bike Rack. Bentonville Brewing has just opened a new brewery and taproom as well.

thewrongtone likes this.
  18. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,828) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Know it is late @russpowell, but will throw this out there.
    Maxine's Live (decent taplist, stays open til almost 4)
    Ohio Club (KBS on tap last time I was there, good sandwich & music)
    Grateful Head Pizza (great pizza and good selection of beer)
    Maxine's live is a bonafide shit show, in a somewhat good way. When I was there they had 3 different Jameson's (Irish Whiskey) on tap, the IPA Cask, the Black Barrel and one more. I of course thought I would have all 3. After finishing I just walked out and went back to the hotel, everyone was still looking for me wondering where I went. It had changed a lot of the years, I guess it was 2018 when we were there and I just remember from 2017 till 2018 they stepped up their craft beer game. I hope y'all had fun

thewrongtone and russpowell like this.
  19. thewrongtone

Head Brewer John Lee got bought out at Rebel Kettle. I hope this is a step in the right direction for them, and I hope they get rid of that name and shitty branding.

Just one man’s opinion.

20. russpowell

Society Trader

Went down to Hot Springs and bent elbows with @lightman1
    He and his Wife were very nice

Got a little side tracked throughout the weekend Hit Bubbas, Superior and SQZBX Brewery. Bubba's was the best. Steinhaus Keller had good German food ( very picky about it ) & a good selection of brews. Also hit Grateful Head. I brain farted on the Ohio Club & Maxines. Will go back some day, had a lot of good food, I do hope the beer catches up

doowhat and donspublic like this.
  21. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,828) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Their hottest wing sauce is literally the hottest shit I have ever put in my mouth. I used to not look so forward to that 6 hr drive to visit my mom when she was up there, now I somewhat look forward to it.

russpowell likes this.
  22. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (87) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

We enjoyed hanging out with you guys. Racing season changes the dynamics of the whole town. Everything gets busier and more crowded. Glad you were able to get into Superior.

Give us a shout the next time you get down to the central part of the state.

russpowell likes this.
  23. russpowell

Society Trader

completely missed the wings, not sure I would've been up to that challenge any way

24. russpowell

Society Trader

Made it to Natural State Beer Company yesterday. They have a nice set up about 9 German styles beers on tap, no Hefe, but they do brew one. My top 3 The Dopple, Schwartz & Marzen. I will get there again, but in rotation. I like Hawk Moth & Ozark more so. I was hoping it would be closer to the downtown area. In a perfect wold, there would be some German food to go with. At least they had a food truck & some good snacks. I will bash out a review some time this week.

thewrongtone likes this.
  25. AugustWest1

AugustWest1 Initiate (61) Feb 23, 2016 Texas

It’s been pretty dark and rainy the past month, but spring and summer are just around the corner. I’m getting excited about some good pilsners. What are the best American made pilsners in rotation in Arkansas ?

26. thewrongtone

Nothing outstanding really springs to mind. Maybe the northwest AR peeps can chime in with some good local suggestions. Flyway is opening a satellite spot in North Little Rock soon called Brood & Barley. They’re gonna be doing slow pour pils and some other stuff.

I’ll usually just get Bitburger on the rare occasion I want a pils. If you’re used to Live Oak, you’re just gonna be disappointed here.

27. russpowell

Society Trader

Nothing jumps up screams drink me in my memory, locally. I did not try Natural State's Pils, but all their other German styled lagers & ales were on point style-wise. Lagunitas Pils when fresh is great.

thewrongtone likes this.
  28. JRuff

Lost Forty makes a Pilsner and recently they had a “wild” version on tap.

not Arkansas, but tiny bomb from wiseacre in Memphis is great and always available

russpowell likes this.
  29. thewrongtone

30. russpowell

Society Trader

31. JRuff

My guess is so that they can collect unemployment. Assuming Ozark survives and things get back to normal, most will get hired back.

russpowell and thewrongtone like this.
  32. russpowell

Society Trader

I presume so, probably the case for all. If you can support them, not at risk for your own life though...

JRuff and thewrongtone like this.
  33. JRuff

Saw Ozark put out a new Red IPA. Anyone tried it?

34. rtrasr

That would be a terrible loss if they do not survive. My local grocery store is still fully stocked and has been re-stocked recently with Ozark. Everything they do is superb. Never had a bad Ozark Beer.