Aroma Coma 2013: Very disappointing

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by montanese, Jul 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montanese

montanese Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2013 California

Is anyone else disappointed in the latest Aroma Coma and Aroma Prieta release? They seem to be missing the full-bodied flavor profile of previous years' batches.

We look forward to this release every year (and actually purchased a keg this time around) and really feel that it has gone down hill.

2. FGITP

FGITP Initiate (38) Mar 27, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I haven't tried aroma coma yet but I felt that way about hopocalypse.

3. MssrTussaud

MssrTussaud Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2013 California

So it's like all other years.

4. AdamSimpson

AdamSimpson Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

I found the batch from a couple months ago disappointing. This batch was fantastic. I still, however, prefer 1500.

MrDave and futura123 like this.
  5. stupac2

stupac2 Zealot (518) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

My recollection is that Prieta is better and Coma is worse, although I think my issue with Coma is that it has that hop spiciness going on, but not with the New Zealand hops adding their awesome fruitiness, and it's not really my thing. I have a keg of both though, so I guess I'll get pretty acquainted with them over the coming weeks.

xgeneralzodx likes this.
  6. AdamSimpson

AdamSimpson Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

I loved the nose on the Prieta, but I found the Coma to drink better. I also get, but enjoy, a little of that spicy hop bite. I was hoping the cask was going to be the best of both worlds for me, but I found that to be pretty terrible.

7. stupac2

Beer Trader

I didn't think it was terrible. I had the Prieta on coma hops, which was the one that I expected to not be as good. I wasn't going to stick around Drake's for 8 hours so I didn't try the other one.

8. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

Please don't take this the wrong way but why buy a keg before trying? Even if you loved it in the previous years. What size keg is it?

9. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (579) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Y'all talkin crazy over herrr

MrDave and xgeneralzodx like this.
  10. stupac2

Beer Trader

5 Gal kegs, and trying it before you bought the keg would've been difficult.

domtronzero and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  11. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2010 California

Is this year's batch of Aroma Coma really not up to par? This beer is usually amazing...

12. BlakeSmith

BlakeSmith Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 California

Say it ain't soo... Been waiting for Coma, I'll reserve judgement until then.

13. PeterWeller

PeterWeller Initiate (163) Jul 16, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I thought it was great. Judge for yourself.

OTB likes this.
  14. grrrah

grrrah Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Coma didn't disappoint me. The Prieta didn't do as much for me though.

jtmartino likes this.
  15. morgenw

morgenw Initiate (136) Dec 24, 2008 California

I like Prieta, but it was a much better beer before they started making it with the New Zealand hops.

16. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2010 California

It has always been made with NZ hops if I'm not mistaken...?

MrFootstones likes this.
  17. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Initiate (177) Aug 9, 2011 California

Woosh.

18. morgenw

Before they bottled it, it was more of the traditional west coast ipa. This was back in 2011 though.

westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  19. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Devotee (461) Aug 30, 2012 California

IPAs/DIPAs just don't excite me anymore. That being said I'll probably pick up a bottle if I come across it. I recall Aroma Coma being decent last year, but nothing amazing. Then again I don't think any DIPAs are amazing.

20. afrokaze

Beer Trader

Coma and Prieta are different beers, Prieta was introduced last year and has always had the NZ hops. Need to make it to the Barrel House this weekend I think!

litheum94 likes this.
  21. morgenw

Last year was the first year they bottled it. Before then it was a completely different beer with different hops. I remember having this the year before out at one of the 1st Friday events. Check the last review for Prieta on here, it has the hops used in it before the New Zealand hops were used. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3835/66481

22. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Champion (800) Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Just tried it and thought it was great! First time though...

23. OTB

OTB Disciple (373) Sep 2, 2011 California

Just had a super fresh bottle yesterday and it was delicious.

Cheers......

MrDave likes this.
  24. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 California

I had a bottle on Friday and loved it. I'm probably going to split a case with a co-worker.

MrDave likes this.
  25. kaseydad

kaseydad Savant (934) Nov 23, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Had both on on release day and wasn't impressed cuz they served the two wayyyy too cold and I didn't have time to wait for it to warm a little. Had Prieta on cask which was very good. Drinking both from the bottle at home....at the right temperature greatly enhanced my flavor experience. Love the Coma and became a fan of the Prieta this time around.

26. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Aspirant (206) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

coma all the way.

27. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (257) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I thought it was great.

28. MarcM

MarcM Initiate (130) Aug 19, 2011 California

Does anyone know when we can expect to see some bottles in SoCal (specifically the San Fernando Valley)?

29. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

There are bombers that are just as good or better for less. Hop Stoopid anyone?
    It was good, just not great, especially at the $8 p-point.
    Hell, I'll pay $2 for a four pack of Hoptimum.

30. calidelphia

calidelphia Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2012 California

Had both at the brewery last week. Coma smelled, and tasted exactly the way I remembered. Nose way better than taste. Prieta however, has always been a letdown to me. It just seems like they skimp on the Nelson.

31. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Devotee (461) Aug 30, 2012 California

Agree completely. Then again I'm not that impressed with drakes, they rotate through head brewers frequently lately and it shows IMO.

32. mc4z

mc4z Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2010 California

I love this beer (drinking it now). I'm always happy to find it fresh and on tap. With that said, all Drake's beers are a $1 or $2 more than I think they're worth, so I don't buy too many bottles.

33. PeterJ

PeterJ Initiate (69) Dec 5, 2012 California

Every special release was better the previous year brah

34. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2008 California

Drinking it at this moment. I actually like it better than last year. I bought a bunch of bottles when it came out, and I just wasn't digging it like I was the previous year. Really enjoying it so far. Still hoping to see a keg of Prieta in my area (I'm looking your way, Whole foods).

35. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (622) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

This from the Full Pint - June 5, 2013
    Recipe Change for Aroma Coma
    Yeah, you read this before. Like Alpha Session, we are building Aroma Coma around the best hops we own. But how do we determine “the best”? Well this year, we as a company sat down blind and smelled over a dozen different lots of multiple varieties hops – everything from Simcoe to CTZ, Mosaic to HBC 342. Everyone pitched in – owners and accountants, brewers and bottlers – to suss out what we liked best. Ratings were totally hedonic, and after 24 hours of sniffing and huffing we analyzed the results. Some definite favorites came through, with El Dorado and Citra leading the way. We are going to balance that pairing of bright citric hops with another crowd favorite – a particularly dank batch of Amarillo, and then glue it all together with classic Cascades and a very piney crop of Chinooks. With multi-stage dry-hopping, this guy should be a hops-to-eleven bomb that everyone at Drake’s had a hand (or nose) in creating.

36. chromebomb

chromebomb Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2009 California

I saw it at Vendome BH so it might be at Vendome Toluca Lake.

37. goodbetterbestbested

goodbetterbestbested Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 California

yeah this tastes weird....i guess i only had aroma coma a few times last year so i'm not an authority but this tastes strange. kind of flat tasting but still pretty good. interesting aftertaste

38. Anita05

Anita05 Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2009 California

Hop Stoopid is the best bang for your buck. A really good beer for less than $5.

39. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (621) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Admittedly, this is the first year I've had Coma but I thought it was AWESOME.

40. afrokaze

Beer Trader

They both tasted great on Saturday, I'd give the edge to Coma this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.