Article About Vermont Shipping Laws

Discussion in 'New England' started by celfan, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celfan

celfan Disciple (323) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

2. StylzMC

StylzMC Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

The surrounding communities are the reason why these breweries were able to get off the ground and thrive, lets hope they don't take beer out of Vt'ers hands.

3. telejunkie

telejunkie Disciple (314) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

which would you rather have, a group of dedicated locals who require basically zero maintenance outside a steady stream of beer and some events, or a group of fringe customers who require a whole new set of shipping requirements, a new POS system, packaging requirements and headaches?
    I don't think Vt'ers need to worry...

4. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (719) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

This seems almost shocking to come from Vermont. When I think "buy local", Vermont is the first state to come to mind. Plus given how fast everything is selling out locally, why is this even on anybody's radar up there?

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  5. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2008 Massachusetts

I realize Alchemist/HF/Lawson's are the first breweries that come to mind, but there are plenty of others up there who could benefit from this. For those where demand is high, it's probably more of a long term play. If they reach a point where this is viable for their business model, at least you already have favorable laws in place.

6. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (719) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Good point. Perhaps it is Magic Hat driving it forward or something...

7. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

the 2 senators sponsoring the senate version of this are from essex-orleans county, which covers Greensboro.

Both the senate and house versions are still in committee and would have to move quickly to be voted out, pass the house, reconcile with the senate bill, then pass the senate. probably won't happen this session.

8. StylzMC

StylzMC Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

The only one I know who wanted to push this was HF. It i should say, the only vocal one

9. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Not that many will ship, but vineyards can do it and this would make it a level playing field. Fair is fair.

tehzachatak likes this.
  10. brownswisscow

Fair to whom?
    Certainly not the consumer who is now competing with someone from a city where average salary is 2x that of VT.
    Why sell your product here when you can sell in for 2-3x the price online to someone out of state?

11. youbrewidrink

Beer Trader

You really are Debbie Downer aren't you.

Just because one or two brewers like the idea of this doesn't mean that a ton of beer will be shipped. Most brewers that I know have no desire to ship a single drop of beer away from the local market.

What this will do is allow shipping that was always wink, wink, nod, nod to be above boards and legal. If a VT brewery want to ship some this just makes it legal. do you really think that the breweries here really want to spend the time and effort to do this. Maybe something like the Hill Farmstead Reserve Memeberships, but I don't see this gainning much steam.

12. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (231) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I'm on the fence about this. On one hand, it'd decrease the hordes or out-of-towners who show up at releases and special events. On the other hand, it would make the peripheral local businesses who gain revenue from beer-visitors lose out on income. Food, lodging, gas, car rentals, beer sales, etc. generate a ton of tax revenue for our very tourism-conscious (and dependent) state, so I tend to think this will not get through.

unknowncomic likes this.
  13. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

MH has the widest national distribution of any brewery in our state - I don't think they put it up.

14. brownswisscow

From a business perspective I completely understand the desire to have the ability to ship. As a consumer, I simply don't support it.

15. duchessedubourg

Beer Trader

Here's Sean Lawson putting in his 2-cents on our CBS local affiliate. As for Bill Goggins at the DLC, he is the biggest beer-nanny in the state and I cannot stand him. Should've heard his gloom & doom scenarios back when we pushed to have the ABV cap lifted to 12%! Somehow the state didn't turn into a bunch of drunks, and beer is driving tourism like skiing now. He is Mr. Safety Guy and yo' daddy all rolled into one! http://www.wcax.com/story/22135275/debate-over-delivering-craft-brews-to-vt-doors

16. youbrewidrink

Beer Trader

When Mr. Goggins refered to changing the law as a "public safety issue" I knew he was a whack job. Then he turned around and atta boyed the 3 tier system. Pretty obvious who's back pocket he is in.

dunix likes this.
  17. rawlus

rawlus Initiate (121) Sep 1, 2010 Massachusetts

Open market is the only real way forward, it isn't about whether your favorite gets bought out by someone far away. It's about the consumer getting to make choices rather than the govt deciding for them. This has been a long standing movement by Freethegrapes.org on the wine side of things. MA has consistently lost their battles to restrict shipping to consumers, yet the govt continues to appeal those court decisions. It pisses me off. I hate visiting someplace in my travels, wanting to ship something back home, join a case club or something, and then the dreaded question, "where do you live? MA? Oh we can't ship to MA"

18. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Aspirant (210) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

I know this isn't a real popular sentiment around these parts, but consider the ramifications of removing the 3 tier system. AB and MillerCoors would be able to buy all those taps in your local watering hole, and totally circumvent the competition of distributors.

This isn't exactly relevant to VT brewers being able to ship direct either, just keep in mind what this would actually mean to you as a consumer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.