Asheville Beer Trip

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by ajgood04, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajgood04

ajgood04 Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2011 Illinois

Headed to Asheville and looking for the must visit places/breweries.
    Also, what local beers should I be looking to bring back?
    Thanks guys

2. GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2010 North Carolina

Went for the day a couple weeks ago...

Ate breakfast at Biscuithead (awesome)
    Went to Wicked Weed and Green Man
    Ate Lunch at Curate (an absolute must if you are eating in Asheville)
    Went to the Funkatorium (Wicked Weed) and Burial Brewery
    Stopped at Sierra Nevada on the way back.

I would do the exact same trip again and would be perfectly okay with it when I go back

KhakCane and ajgood04 like this.
  3. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay Aspirant (223) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

This is a common question so there are a bunch of strings on the subject, many of which aren't that old (i.e., are still very relevant). My general answer to "What to do/drink/eat in Asheville?" is: There are few bad choices!

4. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (179) Jun 10, 2008 California

This seems like the optimal way to spend a day in Asheville. Biscuithead is hands down the best brunch. Wicked Weed is making the best beer, but you're going to have fun at pretty much any brewery you visit. Curate and Nightbell have the best (though high end) food. Curate being tapas, Nightbell being modern, both being the same chef. Sierra Nevada is getting rave reviews on their new facility.

Although if you just wander downtown and stop in places that look interesting, everyone is going to have local beer on tap.

5. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Plenty of threads on this. Like, one a week easily.

6. charlestonj

charlestonj Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2013 South Carolina

Definitely hit up Burial Brewing and the Funkatorium

KhakCane and TonyLema1 like this.
  7. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,307) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

Honestly, with Asheville, the most helpful question would be which places to skip. There is just too much, there.

8. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,880) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I was planning to hit up Burial and Wedge on my next trip, but I heard some not so great stuff about Wedge

9. jonnyybp

jonnyybp Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2015 Virginia

I second Burial

10. ajgood04

ajgood04 Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2011 Illinois

I really appreciate the thoughts everyone. Checked out some of the prior threads as well. Gonna have a busy week!

11. DawgPhan

DawgPhan Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2012 Georgia

Any advice on a asheville trip that doesnt include drinking or eating. Not really interested in drinking beer or eating pizza in Asheville. Just want to get bottles/cans and get back home. Any suggestions on how to maximize my haul all while getting in and out as quickly as possible?

Also not interested in growlers. Just bottles and cans that I can't get in GA.

12. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Curate, ugh I could eat there every single day and be happy.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  13. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Yea, Wedge is ok... Personally, they make my favorite Asheville Pilsner, by far. That is worth a stop in, in my book. But the rest of the line up is ok, but I don't like IPA's so I can't speak to their IPA. Oh, they usually have a decent food truck there and it is a good place to people watch at times. Go when it isn't raining as the "dry" seating is very very veeeery limited.

14. aleckpa

aleckpa Zealot (564) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina

I've always liked Appalachian Vinter and Bruisin' Ales. You can order Bruisin' Ales online and pick up in store.

GDawgs34 likes this.
  15. GDawgs34

GDawgs34 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2014 Georgia

Brusin ales is awesome. Also check out appalachin vinter. Wicked weed is literally right down the road from these stores too, the bottles may be cheaper there

16. treznor

treznor Zealot (566) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

As @NCMonte said, their lineup isn't completely awesome. The IPA is pretty good but I'm not a fan of pilsners (sounds like he and I wouldn't fight over beer!) and their raspberry imperial stout, Gollem, and 3rd rail barleywine are all quite good (though those three also aren't year-round beers).

Even with all that Wedge is one of my favorite places to visit in Asheville. Its a large area and very laid back so I don't have to fight for elbow room like I do at some of the other places, plus there's good food trucks and cornhole (if that's your fancy). And afterwards you can wander up the hill to see a gallery or two and get some culturin' in :slight_smile:

NCMonte and TonyLema1 like this.
  17. MrPeabodysBeard

MrPeabodysBeard Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2010 North Carolina

You should skip Asheville and go to Boone:wink:! If your just going for the haul....just sayin'!

KhakCane and mjk91383 like this.
  18. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

This is true. Peabody's blows both Asheville bottle shops out of the water. They also ship.

MrPeabodysBeard likes this.
  19. AngusOg

AngusOg Meyvn (1,149) Apr 23, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Also need to mention the brand new Tasty Beverage on the South Slope for someone looking for a haul.

mjk91383 likes this.
  20. Jackofallbrews

Jackofallbrews Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Minnesota

hopfenunmaltz, aleckpa and NCMonte like this.
  21. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

whoa whoa.. where is this located? Normally hit up vintner on the south end and call it a day before i leave the city.

22. JackXCI

JackXCI Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 North Carolina

Burial release on Saturday. Stout aged in fresh brandy barrels.

Jackofallbrews likes this.
  23. reilljt0

reilljt0 Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2014 Tennessee

Headed to Asheville for the weekend and need some food suggestions. Other than Curate I am in need of some advice. Anyone have any ideas?

24. WPZY

WPZY Initiate (81) Jan 17, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

Had an awesome meal at The Admiral, but might be too late to get a reservation. I have also had good meals at Rhubarb, Seven Sows, and Cucina 24. Have been told to check out Chai Pani, Table, and King James Public House, but haven't made it yet. Lots of great places to eat, tough to go wrong.

abb610 likes this.
  25. Jackofallbrews

Tasty is about a block away from Funkatorium...

26. Jzmhector

Jzmhector Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2010 North Carolina

App vintner is the best bottle shop in the city.

gopens44 and abb610 like this.
  27. aleckpa

aleckpa Zealot (564) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina

I've had brunch and dinner at Black Bird. I was content with both meals. Really enjoyed it.

28. nas4atu

nas4atu Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2011 North Carolina

Bull and Beggar is a fantastic restaurant that is in the same building as Wedge Brewery. Might want to call ahead and make reservations though, seemed like they had 12-15 tables max with a small bar area. Menu is inventive and very delicious (but so are most restaraunts in Asheville, you really can't go wrong anywhere).

29. MrExit23

MrExit23 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 North Carolina

The prices at Tasty Beverage -- yeesh! Great selection but $10/bottle for Bomb?

30. FATC1TY

Thats about normal for most places for what it's worth.. Slightly high, but I've seen worse. It's close to $6 or $7 in georgia, and we have some of the lowest prices for Bomb outside of the OK area.

KhakCane likes this.
  31. FATC1TY

I'll be at the Funkatorium on Sat to pick up my bottles from the Golden Angel release. Haven't never been to the Funkatorium in the past, and not known exactly where it is in relation to the rest of the strip I've run around in years pasts, whats good to eat around there for a good lunch? Doesn't have to be real fancy, but something a couple can go to and not be crammed up too bad?

I'm tired of Barleys, as it's the easiest thing for us as a family with toddlers to go to, and won't have them for Sat.

32. JackXCI

JackXCI Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 North Carolina

Breakfast at early girl! Such a great breakfast place. And honestly wicked weeds food is fantastic .

33. FATC1TY

Skipped Early girl last go around, but might stop in. Not sure if my wife will be up early enough for breakfast, but maybe a good late brunch! Hah!

WW has good food, I wasn't thrilled with it, but ate lunch there during a weekday, as it's about the only time I can stand that place. Waiting in a fireline outside the patio, to wait to get a table is not my idea of fun, when there are better places in town.

Funkatorium will probably be a shit show Sat, with people picking up their bottles and hanging around, but atleast probably better than Sunday when general lines start.

34. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Early Girl is probably the most overrated place in the whole town. There are so many great brunch places around, but if you want to wait an hour to get a table there then there's at least a good coffee shop down the street that you can do it at.

35. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I was just about to post a question on this. Headed through there this week and needed to know where to do some quick in and out (drive by crafting......). I still need to decide on 2 breweries, at the most to visit. I'm thinking Wicked Weed and Burial.

36. Jackofallbrews

37. lsaslow

lsaslow Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 North Carolina

I appreciate you posting these blogs of your trip. Good work, and thanks.

Jackofallbrews likes this.
  38. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (179) Jun 10, 2008 California

I had a similar experience with Seven Sows. Went for dinner on a whim (no recommendations) and thought it was great. I'd definitely go back.

39. treznor

treznor Zealot (566) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

The Funkatorium is only 2 blocks from the main location, so the selection is about the same. ABC is my go to in the area if I'm trying to avoid eating at WW. Good pizza, decent beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.